main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESPN-General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DAR, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    This thread is to discuss anything and everything about the big daddy of the sports world ESPN.

2. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    ESPN, please fire Joe Theismann. He sucks. That is all.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    My usual stations that I watch:

ESPN
    ESPN2
    ESPN News
    ESPN Classic
    ESPNU

...and any station thats currently showing a game I want to watch. i.e., not FSN/S.

4. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Something really struck me today. I remember when I heard that NFL Primetime was being cancelled last season and how much I thought that sucked, and have still held that general opinion. But then it hit me when I was watching Football Night In America earlier: I don't miss NFL Primetime at all. The "shtick" was really getting stale. Football Night is a breath of fresh air. Costas just cleanly delivering the highlights, then some quality analysis by Collinsworth and co. It's all about the football, nothing else.

5. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
    They really need to revamp their NFL Countdown show, there are just too many guys in the studio. And since when did YELLING mean you were right(I'm looking at you Michael Irvin) Chris Berman has become just a joke. His act is so tired. Oh look there's Berman circa 1982 catching a pass for the Bucaneers.

Compare that to College Gameday. It's three guys, Fowler, Herbstreit and Corso, all three offer excellent analysis Herbstreit might be one of the best color men

6. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I love the banter between Boomer & TJ though: those little segments during SportsCenter aren't the same.

Joseph "Live and Let" Addai!
    From the Batcave-Reggie Wayne!
    Amani "Well-dressed" Toomer!

:p

7. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Irvin is a joke. It absolutely amazes me that he would call Tiki Barber's retirement a "distraction" while unconditionally defending Terrell Owens week after week after week.

If ESPN wanted to put together a Monday Night Football broadcast for the real football fan, they'd steal one of the A-list announcers from CBS or FOX and put Jaws in the booth with them for color commentary, not the clowns they have in the booth right now.

8. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
    I agree Jaws is excellent. I remember that first night, him, Brad Nessler and Dick Vermeil did the game and it was miles above the regular crew. Though for the record I think Mike Tirico is pretty good. But it seems to have neutered Kornheiser.

9. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Corso doesn't offer much in the way of analysis on Gameday. I love Herbstreit, he's one of the best experts around. He was the only guy who though ND wouldn't start out 1-5 or 0-6. The only thing he's done that bothered me was his dismissing of UCLA the week before the game. He made up for it later, but it was sort of a classless move from such a genuine classy guy.

Still, Gameday is a slam dunk over any NFL show. Seeing Corso pull out the head gear from week to week is always entertaining.

10. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    ESPN is terrible. Too much agenda-driven stories. They make as much news as they report and are entirely too biased toward certain teams.

11. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Herbie, the same guy that predicted that Miami would be in the BCS Championship game in the beginning of the year? Those two jokers on Gameday are never held accountable for their attrocious statements and predictions. They are still considered experts despite being wrong the vast majority of the time.

I have respect for Fowler though, seems to have some integrity.

On another note, whatever happened to Harold Reynolds? That guy was good.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    On another note, whatever happened to Harold Reynolds? That guy was good.

alleged sexual harassment toward a female co-worker.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Corso doesn't offer much in the way of analysis on Gameday. I love Herbstreit, he's one of the best experts around. He was the only guy who though ND wouldn't start out 1-5 or 0-6. The only thing he's done that bothered me was his dismissing of UCLA the week before the game. He made up for it later, but it was sort of a classless move from such a genuine classy guy.

Still, Gameday is a slam dunk over any NFL show. Seeing Corso pull out the head gear from week to week is always entertaining.

Yeah, I can't stand Corso, but Herbstreet's fine, usually. Favorite Lee Corso costume: The Devil (10/28/06, UT@USC). Except that wasn't really a costume, it was revealing his real face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.