Arena ESPN Stupidity Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
  2. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
  3. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Skip Bayless will meet Tim Tebow on Friday (Feb 5) in Indianapolis. Should be quite the Love in.
  4. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, Skip, I...I take back what I said about you!

I mean some of it.
  5. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Wilbon just said that tennis in the past was betetr because not only was their Borg/McEnroe/Connors but there was also Lendl,Edberg. Those two were nowhere near the same time period as the big 3. Lendl peaked in the late 80's and Edbger peaked in the early 90's. That's like throwing Sampras and Agassi into the Nadal and Djokovic era.
  6. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Consider the source. I would not take what he says about tennis with any kind of authority.
  7. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
  8. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I don't really care for Bayless, but I can't stand Steven A. Smith.
  9. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Can they have a cage match fight? As much as I don't like Bayless, I really don't like Stephen A., either.
  10. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Glad we all agree here.
  11. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    If we can dp it in the next NFL/NBA season, and we can arrange for Adande to have his jaw wired shut for the duration, I'd pay to see it.
  12. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I like J.A. Adande.

:p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  13. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    lol @ Screamin' A and Skip Baseless.

But why, during this week of all weeks, has the person I keep seeing on ESPN - again and again - been His High Exaltedness Lord Tebow The First?
  14. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Adande's not nearly as bad as those other guys.
  15. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah I was also wondering why every time I go to the cafeteria or a restaurant and ESPn is on I see Bayless and Smith yelling about Tebow. Literally about 75% of the time
  16. Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  17. yankee8255 Chosen One

star 6
    Chink in the Armor. Just an honest mistake. Yah.
  18. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I've only heard the comment was made, not the context. It is an expression though, so whoever said that might not have said intentionally, but, he obviously should have thought before he spoke.
  19. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The person who put it the website's been fired. It is a real saying, but you've got to type it out and then read it before you submit the content.
  20. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    The University of South Florida student newspaper takes a view that I agree with:

http://www.usforacle.com/opinion/espn-wrong-to-apologize-for-chink-in-the-armor-1.2703219

I particularly agree with this paragraph:

This was, pure and simple, a drastic overreaction by ESPN. Shame on them.
  21. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    ESPN apologizes again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
  22. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I never would have even been aware of a slur there had there not been an uproar. Hear the phrase so much (in completely non-racial terms) that it didn't even occur to me that there was another meaning.
  23. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Exactly. I didn't even know about the racist meaning until I heard about this. This uproar only serves to ensure that (to quote the editorial I linked a few posts above) "a meaningless racial slur is preserved because of the hyper-sensitive political correctness of modern media." ESPN's error here was not in allowing the phrase to be used in the first place, but in firing someone and apologizing.
  24. DarthIntegral Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    I disagree. Consider the following from Peter King's mailbag this week:

"With all of the (completely valid) attention surrounding ESPN's multiple racist remarks with regards to Jeremy Lin, what I also find shocking is in the coverage thereof. Every reporter (including yourself) sees fit to publish the racist epithet used by ESPN. Is that really necessary? As an Asian-American myself, reading it over and over just perpetuates the pain and anger. I ask you: if the racist term at issue here had been the most common ones used for African-Americans or Latino/as, would you all be quoting it as often? And if so, I ask you another question: for what purpose? Isn't it enough to know that it was a hateful, despicable term? Why pour more salt into the wound?"

It was stupid of ESPN to print the headline, and they were correct is handing out disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to the offending party. Period.
  25. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've got to agree with that writer and Inty. I can't believe that you've never heard "chink" used as a racial term. The editor who put the phrase up has profusely (and form what I'd bet sincerely) apologized for his lapse of judgement. His statement is included in that report.

editHere's a brief overview of the term from Slate.