main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, this is the same guy who sold his Baseball HOF vote to Deadspin, so are we really surprised he went trolling LeBron?

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, except, those are two good examples of LeBatard. The billboard is hilarious, and the HoF vote has great symbology.

This is ESPN keeping LeBron a golden calf

Darth Tunes likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I loved the **** slap to the face of the gutless Baseball HOF Committee - this seems childish and pointless.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have zero problem mixing something childish and pointless into my entertainment on occasion.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ESPN has suspended Max Kellerman for a week, after Kellerman admitted on the radio program "Mason & Ireland" (NYC) that, after both had been drinking 20 years ago, his wife (then girlfriend) slapped him, and he slapped her back.

Obviously bad behavior twenty years ago, but pandering behavior by the Worldwide Leader.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Reading that reminded me of this classic Cheers scene:

:p

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    wow... getting suspended for something that happened decades ago is... kinda silly.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah... Unless he was using the story as an example of how it's AOK to smack a woman if she hits you (like Steven A's comment's hinted at, which got him canned for a week), then I'm not sure how something from two decades ago (especially if they were both drunk), is a suspendable offense today. It's not a good thing, and doesn't excuse either one's behavior back then, but.. yeah.

10. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    oh, i didn't condone it (on either of their parts frankly), but it's still rather stupid.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Not stupidity, but I saw it this morning and took a quick picture.

[​IMG]

12. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Anybody watch the Sportscenter that comes on early morning during the week with those two anchors? Is it me or they just rather annoying?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, on this morning's SportsCenter the anchors said that Ben Rothlisberger can't be happy with two of his young targets on the team because they got in trouble with the law.

Yeah, because if anyone has anything to complain about with getting in trouble with the law on the Pittsburgh Steelers it's Big Ben.

I'm surprised they didn't say "Ray Lewis was upset with Ray Rice because he taught him to hide the bodies better than that."

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

[face_laugh]

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    QUITE FRANKLY, THOSE BODIES WERE ASKING BE HIDDEN BY RAY LEWIS

xblackout, dp4m and heels1785 like this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Too bad saying "I'm sorry we're bigots" doesn't make it actually better.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For a moment -- just a moment -- I got excited in the middle of the Ray Rice coverage because they had Matthew Berry on and the first question was not the inevitable stupidity but "Who should I start tonight: Eli Manning or Philip Rivers?"

Unfortunately, the second question...

"Who should I pick up to replace Ray Rice?"

Really, folks, really? Waivers don't clear until Wednesday -- you could have at least waited a day, rather than 15 minutes... or even just done it in print... or, y'know, even just let the 'schebags who drafted him flit in the wind...

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I challenge your inherent point: the whole thing -and a lot of what Matthew Berry does on-air- is ridiculous, because from my point-of-view, fantasy sports are emphasized way too much in the media these days; I don't think that's a good thing. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Look, man... Fantasy sports (and Football in particular) is a huge, huge money-making thing. There's absolutely no reason for ESPN to not be advertising a competitive-advantage if they can.

In this case, however, totally poor taste/timing.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, sure... I get why they do it, but it still makes me want to throw things at the television and/or computer whenever that sort-of-thing gets coverage.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  24. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So everybody else at ESPN gets to criticize Goodell/the NFL but their 'problem child'? Okay, got it.