main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    ESPN's Jay Mariotti pleads no contest in LA to misdemeanor in incident with female companion

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles city attorney's office says ESPN personality Jay Mariotti has pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor battery count stemming from an August incident involving a female companion.

City attorney's spokesman Frank Mateljan says Mariotti was sentenced Thursday to 36 months of probation, community service and a domestic violence course.

Mariotti was originally charged with seven counts, but Mateljan says all other counts were dismissed.

A statement issued by Mariotti's attorney says they were confident of prevailing at trial but it would have been long and expensive. The statement claims Mariotti was the victim of false and exaggerated allegations stemming from a public argument.

The last thing I've heard from ESPN was "we have no plans to use him at this time"

2. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I wonder if race is a factor in Charles Barkley's round-the-clock criticism of LeBron's summer conduct [face_hypnotized]

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I mentioned this in the college basketball thread already, but it fits very well here, too. Before the Duke-Kansas State game, ESPN had a caption on about Coach K having 699 career wins... he was actually at 872 in that category. It should have been 799, not 699, and should have specified "at Duke", not career. :oops:

Also, [face_plain] @ the ESPN commentator the other day who was talking about the "4 loss South Carolina team" (in football)... yeah, last time I checked South Carolina had only 3 losses, not 4. They might be a 4 loss team if they lose to Clemson or Auburn in the next couple weeks, because both will be tough games, but not yet. And when that is a significant part of your argument, please at least try to get your facts straight.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    That's pretty bad considering their own site has them listed with only three losses. :oops:

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    For the Coach K thing, they might have verbally slipped up a couple times, but the graphic showed the number of wins at one school.

But the South Carolina thing is pretty bad.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I think they had another graphic on Coach K that was correct. But the one I saw up while they were discussing the game when it was about to tip was just plain wrong.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I guess we just caught it at different parts of the game. :p

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Maybe they corrected it after realizing how badly wrong it was :p

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I suppose that's possible. The Elias Sports Bureau probably called them up. Either that, or Seth Davis called 'em out on Twitter. [face_laugh]

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    ESPN just referred to SportsCenter as "NewtonCenter." I don't think I need to say any more.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    :oops:

On the other hand, at least it's not Favre or the Heat 24/7.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Seriously, how is "did not practice today, may or may not practice tomorrow" something worth talking about for 15+ minutes?

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I have no idea. :p

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Ok, ESPN has declared 2011 to be the "Year of the Quarterback."

What the heck? Don't you have to, say, wait and see how QBs perform in 2011? Or something like that?

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    You would think, R...J. Good old ESPN...:rolleyes:

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  17. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    [face_laugh] Swing and a miss.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000

Inty, you beat me to it. :mad: :p

lol @ ESPN

ATH and PTI did talk about MLS (specifically the Timber's home opener) today, so that makes them a bit better, but not much.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    lol. At least they were ranked number 10, if they had to be on that list. Still, they're certainly not the 10th best club team in the world. Are they really better than all of the CONMEBOL clubs? I really don't think so.

21. -JediJordan-

-JediJordan- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2011
    I'll take that, or anything really, over "FavreCenter"

22. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I wonder if MLS paid them for that. Brutal. :rolleyes:

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The sad thing is that ESPN is one of the biggest things helping to hold MLS down. They treat it like a low 5th tier minor league. They never give it the respect it deserves, and now they do this mockery of a ranking.

24. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Seriously. The MLS ALL-Stars can't beat European club teams, and a MLS club team is in a top ten on the planet? [face_plain]

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I guess it depends on whether its better to be a good team in a bad league, or an average team in a good league.