ESPN's Greatest Highlight

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    So, ESPN is running another tournament to name their "greatest highlight" of all time. They have a field of sixteen, paired up for a single-elimination tournament, the entries are:

Doug Flutie Hail Mary
    Tiger Woods 05 Masters Chip
    Aaron passing the Babe
    Carlton Fisk HR fair in 75 WS
    Cal-Stanford "The Band Is On The Field"
    Christian Laettner's shot to beat UK
    Boise St. Statue of Liberty in Fiesta Bowl
    Jordan's Jumper in '98 against the Jazz
    Kirk Gibson's Pinch Hit HR
    Larry Bird's Piston beating steal/pass in '87
    1980 US Hockey go ahead goal against USSR
    Lynn Swann's Super Bowl winning catch
    The Babe's "Called Shot"
    Willie Mays over-the-shoulder in '54 World Series
    The Immaculate Reception
    Bill Buckner's error

So, here's my questions for the thread:

What will win the tournament?
    What should win the tournament?
    What highlights are missing? Which should they replace?

You can view the page for this tournament here
  2. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    What will win the tournament? 1980 US Hockey go ahead goal against USSR.

This is the definitive highlight moment in the greatest upset of all time.

What should win the tournament? Same as above.

What highlights are missing? Obviously, it's too late to include the great catch made by Tyree in the Super Bowl. Also, now with Bobby Knight's retirement, his tirade when he threw a chair onto the court during his Indiana coaching days.

Which should they replace? Billy Buckner's error. Even though it caused a huge swing, all the pitcher had to do was get one more out if I recall correctly.
  3. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Why isn't "The Catch" on there? The Alabama one where the guy caught the ball behind another guy's back and then flipped with the ball.
  4. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I agree, Horsey, "the catch" probably needs to be on there. But I'm talking about Montana-to-Clark.

As to the 80 Hockey highlight ... I don't know if it will win or if it should win. I mean, when I think about that game, I don't think about the goal that gave the US the lead. I think about the final few seconds and Al Michaels "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!" So, to me, that's the highlight of that game, even though it's not a traditional highlight.

And, yeah, I'd like to take Buckner off the list. The rest of the list is full of triumph. There is no triumph in that play. And if you're feeling the need to include a great highlight from the 86 years of Red Sox futility, I think Bucky *bleeping* Dent and Aaron *bleeping* Boone provide a better highlight.

For my money, though, Joe Carter's WS winning home run off of Mitch Williams is the biggest omission. It's pure joy, triumph and celebration wrapped into one play. And it's a phenomenal moment in sports history.
  5. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    As far as quality of buzzer beaters go there are a handful better that Laettner's.

Tate George's for UCONN against Clemson in 1990 sweet 16 (it hurts still and I wasn't even alive). His is way better, first he had 1 second and it was a great pass and he had to shoot from an angle.

James Forrest for Georgia Tech against So. Cal in 1992 was also spectacular.

Bryce Drew of course

and Tyus Edney's length of the court drive for UCLA against Missouri. That was the 2nd round and UCLa ended up winning it all that year in 1996 or 1995.
  6. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    What will win the tournament?

Cal-Stanford

What should win the tournament?

1980 US hockey... although I agree with Inty that the true highlight of that game is the last few seconds

What highlights are missing? Which should they replace?

Replace Buckner with Gonzo's walk off bloop in the bottom of the ninth of game 7 of the world series against the greatest closer in the history of the game.
  7. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think Hank Aaron's 715th homer will be the winner, though it wouldn't surprise me if the '80 US hockey bit won because of the whole patriotism thing. I could also Boise State's statue of liberty play making a run simply because it happened recently. That would make me cranky, as the play I remember from that game is the hook'n'ladder that brought Boise State back. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Stoops should have been fired.

I think that the winner should be the Willie Mays catch in the '54 World Series. The best play that the best baseball player all time (arguably) ever made? Works for me.

I'd also eject the Buckner highlight, as well as the Lynn Swann catch. That play has always struck me as cool, but c'mon! Montana-to-Clark and Starr's quarterback sneak in the '67 Ice Bowl should replace those two.
  8. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Willie Mays' catch is the most overrated play of all time.
  9. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
  10. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5

Edmond's made a better catch, but the Mays' catch had a lot more importance. Coming from someone who has played the outfield, it's an unbelievable catch because he never had a chance to see the ball until it came over his shoulder.

I think Hill to Laettner should win because it was a great pass and and great shot to win.

Cal-Standford will probably win as it seems to always do when I watch shows this.

Boise State's statue of liberty to beat Oklahoma should be on there. That was a bigger upset than the 1980 Olympics.
  11. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I think Hill to Laettner should win because it was a great pass and and great shot to win

watch Tate George on youtube even better in every aspect, the pass, shot and amount of time and it started UCONN basketball success.
  12. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    o_O Um...okay. I can't agree with you on that one, but whatever. I'm judging these highlights on the power of the moment. If it was the actual play I was concerned about, I'd say Babe Ruth's called shot wasn't any better than the thousands of other home runs that have been hit throughout the decades. It's the context, it's the moment that makes things special. That's why the Mays catch is special.

But it wasn't as significant. The USSR's hockey team at that time was far superior to OU's football team in 2006. Throw in a huge stage and a little thing I like to call "The Cold War", and you get something far greater than a Fiesta Bowl upset. I'm fine with it making the cut. I just don't think it should go very far.

13. JMJacenSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope Cal-Stanford doesn't win. It's too much of a freakish play, and wasn't truly significant to anybody but those two schools. I agree with Inty, "The Catch" ought to be on here, and it really ought to win the whole damn thing in my opinion. It has all of the elements: Supreme athleticism, great theatre, and long-term significance.
  14. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    No way. Ask any Indians fan old enough to remember it, and they'll cry.
  15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    The 1980 goal is the single greatest moment in American sports history, so far as I'm concerned. The sight of Mike Eruzione dancing on the ice after scoring is one of the most iconic images I've ever seen, in sports or anywhere else. Everything else bends at the knee for that moment, and that game in general. I realize that for many others, the most memorable image is the celebration on the ice as the game ended, but for me, that goal is where it's at. To me, it goes without saying that it's the "greatest highlight." It's all about second place when that game is involved.

And, yeah, I'd like to take Buckner off the list. The rest of the list is full of triumph. There is no triumph in that play. And if you're feeling the need to include a great highlight from the 86 years of Red Sox futility, I think Bucky *bleeping* Dent and Aaron *bleeping* Boone provide a better highlight.

More than that: Buckner really had no play, because Wilson was going to beat him to the bag.

Boise State's statue of liberty to beat Oklahoma should be on there. That was a bigger upset than the 1980 Olympics.

Ridiculous. The USA beating the USSR in that game was like your average college team beating the Patriots or Giants in the Super Bowl, or a college basketball team humbling the Spurs.
  16. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    It be like Minor league A team beating the Red Sox in a best of 7 series or like Havant and Waterlooville over Liverpool.
  17. Ruusan_Roulette Jedi Padawan

Maybe I just don't get it, but what is the big freaking deal about Carlton Fisk "willing" his home run fair? He hit a home run on a big stage and made an animated gesture indicating his desire that the ball be fair. Big deal. Should this even be on the list of the potential "greatest highlight" (whatever that is) of all time?
  18. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    It was the climactic moment of possibly the greatest baseball game ever played. It rendered Game 7 an afterthought, just as the Red Sox would eleven years later.
  19. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'm not sure if ESPN would have shown it but Ryan Giggs' winner in the 1999 F.A. Cup semi-final replay between Man U and Arsenal would be my pick if it was. Perfect way to decide the greatest game that I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOyedpeZnk
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    My bias would like to see Laettner's shot win. But it won't.

Cal-Stanford has a shot, so does Hank Aaron and a couple others as well.

Buckner should be taken off, in favor of any of a number of highlights, including that Prothro catch. That was ridiculous.
  21. JMJacenSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    How about Robert Horry's three pointer vs. the Kings in the 2001 WCF
  22. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Definitely a great play. Another one I'd have considered would be Michael Owen's spectacular goal against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup. But ESPN is only concerned with 'American' sports, so soccer is little more than an afterthought.
  23. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    On the subject of football goals what do you think of Cantona's goal vs Sunderland?
  24. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    His reaction was even better than the goal. :p
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Whats up with the "replay" video of Boise State-Oklahoma being a series of still shots, without actually showing the play itself?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.