main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESPN's Greatest Highlight

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    To me the highlight for the 1980 olympics wasn't the Eruzione goal, but the last seconds ticking off the clock as Al Michaels asked "Do you belive in miracles." Still remember it vividly, and get goosebumps every time. A close second was the medal ceremony, when Eruzione waved the rest of the team up onto the podium.

2. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    How did the Boise State Statue of Liberty beat Michael Jordan's game winner vs. the Jazz? Oh well.

I voted for Bird's steal in today's. The Gibson home run is as much about the radio call than the highlight.

3. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    That Gibson home run drives me crazy. A low off-speed pitch to a guy who has no legs? Eck, how could you?:_|

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Scully's call is overplayed, and in my opinion, overrated. It's nice enough, but Jack Buck's call is the superior and more memorable one.

"... this is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! The Dodgers have won this game, 5-4, and I don't believe what I just saw!"

Buck's tone changes on a dime as he realizes that the ball is going out, and it's a magical moment.

5. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    That's the one I meant.

Actually, I don't think I've ever even heard Scully's call, or I have and it's not that memorable.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Pfffffffffffffffft. Overplayed (as compared to clips shown with the audio of Buck)? Perhaps. Overrated. Not a chance. Regardless, Gibby's home run happend on my birthday (it being my 2nd birthday in '88 :p ), something that makes the moment even that much more meaningful for me.

7. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    That might have been the most mistaken post I've ever read. If anything is overrated, it's Cal's The Play (and that's coming from the biggest Cal fan here).

But Mays' catch? No, just no. That meant the world to both teams and their fans. It still means the world to SF fans (how many World Series have we won since then?).

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Here's the thing, though: the San Francisco Giants have never won a World Series. The New York Giants, though, did.

9. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    Hey, we moved, but it's the same franchise. We didn't discard all of our players (fans, on the other hand...) when we got out of NY.

10. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Statue of Liberty vs. US Hockey in the final.

I think it's asinine that the Statue of Liberty play is in the finals. I think the greatest sports highlight of all time ought to, you know, actually mean something.

11. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Statue of Liberty in final [face_talk_hand]

12. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I haven't been following this that closely but I agree the Statue of Liberty play doesn't belong in the finals.

Clearly the Hockey highlight should win.

Other than that I think they messed up on some of their initial choices. They have the wrong Jordan shot. I think his shot over Ehlo is much more iconic than the the Jazz shot. Where's the the Jimmy V tourney win with NC St.? Mize sinking that long chip to beat Norman?

13. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    as far as an athletic catch goes, it's not that impressive... it's just the situation in which it occurred that has people orgasming over it.

14. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Agreed. I believe I read somewhere that Boise State was actively petitioning alumni to vote online, complete with a link to the poll.

Even if it isn't true, there's definitely a lot of ballot stuffing going on somewhere,

15. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    You could say the same about the hockey goal, though.

16. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    that' why I, and a few others, said that the goal wasn't even the iconic highlight of that game.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And every time they show it on SportsCenter for this stupid tournament, they include the real highlight, which is the call by Michaels at the end of the game. IF they are both there, then yes, this is the greatest highlight of all time in American sports. If it's just the goal ...

And *gasp* did someone just claim that there's ballot stuffing going on in an ESPN.com poll? No! Perish the thought!

18. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Well, no matter what happens, we can all rest assured that this was a far better tournament than that Who's Now atrocity last summer.

19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    And isn't the situation just as important as the play itself in this tournament?

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    yes. but they each make up half the highlight IMO.

an amazing play in the middle of a meaningless game wouldn't make this list. would it?

10 years from now, you think anyone will be talking about Eli Manning's touchdown pass to a wide open Burress to put the Giants ahead of the Patriots in the superbowl? Nope. High pressure situation, your team's losing in the most important game of the season... but it wasn't a spectacular play. What people will remember is Eli almost getting sacked, miraculously getting out of there and getting the ball to Tyree, who made an amazing catch off his helmet.

21. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006

And *gasp* did someone just claim that there's ballot stuffing going on in an ESPN.com poll? No! Perish the thought!

Why don't we have our own poll or list? Do you mind if I host it if we do one on The Arena?

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Two things:

1) Which athlete has the best smelling poop would be a better tournament than "Who's Now" was.

2) I have no problem having a "greatest highlight" tournament. Obviously couldn't start before the favorite American Footballer ended, and I'll wait for the other mod(s) of the forum to weigh in on it.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It is for me, alongside the final moments of the game.

24. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Nope, sounds like a great idea, and a change from the usual favourite player tournament we've been having.

25. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006

Okay, just let me know when I can start it.

Thanks. Again, let me know when it is alright to start it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.