main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Establishing a FanForce---Should We Have Fresno & Merced SEPARATE, or a Joint Group?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fresno, CA' started by Jirin_Raman, Jul 12, 2002.

?

Establishing a FanForce---Should We Have Fresno & Merced SEPARATE, or a Joint Group?

Poll closed Jul 19, 2002.
  1. Together

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Separate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Separate, but Together

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Wow! My Head Hurts!!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
  2. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    I think it would be fine to have separate chapters, so that Mercedians & Fresnans won't have to drive as far as OFTEN for meetings. That way, you attend the meetings that are nearest you. I think, though, that we should plan to have each "chapter" meet at least semi-frequently. In terms of the boards, I think we should have a joint board. I agree that splitting the boards would be pointless, as thus far, there are only 2 of us from Merced posting. We are in the process of getting at least those who attended the Edwards AOTC premiere to join the boards, but even then, we'd only have 4 posting at first. Other thoughts??

3. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    I think, though, that we should plan to have each "chapter" meet at least semi-frequently.

I re-read my post, and this line didn't even seem clear to me. What I meant to say was that we should have separate chapters, 1 in Fresno, 1 in Merced, and each of THOSE chapters, while meeting in their respective cities, should try to meet with each other on a semi-regular basis. Hope that makes more sense!

4. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    Jirin, I agree that two seperate FF chapters would be optimal. I also agree that the 2 chapters should meet with each other when schedules warrant that. I also strongly advocte that this IS NOT an attempt to breed seperatism. I can honestly say that I will post on The Fresno boards just as vigorously as the Merced boards. We will be part of the same family, just think as the two seperate chapters as "cousins" within the larger SanJuac umbrella.

5. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Maybe you should rename this forum San Joaquin Valley forum. That might bring in more people from the whole Valley area.

6. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    That is fine by me, Mara_Jade_Fan. However, would the scenario DSGeorge and I have proposed work out? Could we have a city rep for Merced, and Fresno, or would the entire group just be one large faction?

7. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    If you wanted a City Rep for Merced, and Fresno you would need two seperate boards.

I agree that your group is too small to warrant seperate boards right now. You could have a City Rep (The president) of your group from Fresno or Merced, and have a Vice-President (not a CR) hold meetings in another area. The Vice-president and President (CR) would be in frequent discussion with each other regarding what was discussed at their various group meetings. Then a couple of times a year you could get the whole Valley area together. In the future you may get enough members to warrant having two seperate forums, and seperate CRs.

8. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    Seems fair enough to me. Later tonight, when Jedi-Finney and jedivalens post, we shall see how they feel. (Not to mention, all the other folks)

Would it be fine for DSGeorge or myself to be the "Vice President", to coordinate the areas closer to Merced? ;)

9. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    ^ You all have to have the required 3 meetings, and at the third meeting vote for the City Rep. From there on out you can vote for Vice. Pres., Secretary, whathaveyou. In San Diego we decided to go the President/Vice-President/Secretary route because it sounds more official. Although, my Vice President Brendan, insists on calling be the Supreme Chancellor and himself the Vice-Chancellor... *sigh*

10. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    My post was directed at the others here, Mara_Jade_Fan. My apologies. I thought it would be a neat idea to have a structure going into the meetings. We do run into a dilemma, however, if the folks more local, for example, to Fresno are able to gather prior to the Mercedians being able to make it.

11. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    well its really up to you merced guys... i was actually quite used to there being nobody posting here, besides myself, valenz and an occasional other person once a month...

12. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I say attempt meetings first and see how they go before we split them up :)
    But hey, I'm new here lol
    I think a valley board would definately attract more people here though.

13. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i think the seperate but together thing is the best way. i also wouldnt mind if there was a San Joaquin Valley board instead because there are so many cities in the valley. just my opinion

14. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    i dont think it will work with everyone beeing so far away from each other... but thats just me...

15. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Well logically speaking, you're never going to have next door neighbors here.
    It's going to require a drive no matter what.
    Some FF people drive hours to get to a meeting place (I think. . .)
    Another reason I'm for a valley board is because most people in the valley are familiar with most of the cities in the valley with Fresno and Bakersfeild being obvious focal points.
    I'm sure anyone could make the trip to Fres no problem. If not, there's Bako and to a lesser extent, Visa.
    I think a valley board would be just the think to help us grow and attract more fans. Plus, our neighboring FFers could come and visit our group which is what FF is all about. Meeting new people and comraderie.
    I really think it'd be beneficial in the long run :)
    Then, as we grow, we can split into smaller factions and help those to grow too.

16. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    you have a point... but calling it the san juaquin ff or whatever... i think thats too big. its like the size of a small state actually... but at least we'd have more people... i think the more people the merrier!

17. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I did think about the size of the valley. But then I took into consideration how many people would actually be a part of the SJVFF and it wouldn't be all that much. In Fresno alone (a large city considering) there's only a handful of members.
    In other words, it sounds like a large bit of land to cover, but the fanbase would still be small enough to only be one group.
    As ofr travel distance, well most people have been all over the valley anyway. At least Fresno or Bakersfield I'd think. So I wouldn't worry too much about someone making the trip. If someone couldn't make it to Fresno, I highly doubt they'd be able to make it anywhere else.
    So, I still say change us to the SJVFF. It'd still be the same people and things would still be the same, but we might attract one or two more fans out there in the boondocks and every fan makes a difference.
    But before we do anything, I would think we should organize at least one meeting so we know who we're going to be in the boat with if you catch my meaning. It would also give us a chance to see who could actually make it to meetings and such. Who any potential trouble-makers are, etc.
    It won't happen anytime soon I don't think. Much planning would have to be done.
    On the other hand. If we switch it to a broader fanbase before our first meeting, it would still accomplish the same goals only with the chance o more people.
    No matter what, I think the first meeting should be in Fresno. And who better to be the guide than you Finney?

18. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    So, we seem to all be in agreement on one particular thing---Meeting is the only way to resolve this "issue". When and where should we try to do this? Jedi-Finney, I'd vote for either you or jedivalens to head this up. Don't you love the charge of responsibility?? ;)

19. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I vote for a random orange grove!

20. Sparticus

Sparticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    This sounds cool! You know, you're right dude, everyone is used to commuting around the SJV anyway, a trip to Fresno wouldn't be a major thing (oddly enough, I've only ever been to Bakersfield once or twice - and I used to live in Corcoran!). Anyhoo, I still think the new Barns and Noble sounds like a good meeting place - they have pie :D I love pie...

21. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    who doesn't like pie!? mmmmmm.............pie.........

22. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Tell me when and where and I'll go :)
    If it's on a weekend. . .

23. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    So, it appears that we have a good amount of votes in.....When do we meet?? ;)

24. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I say in about 3½ weeks.
    That'll everybody time to plan and ask for days off.
    Well 3½ weeks from the deciding day I mean.

25. Sparticus

Sparticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    Sounds good. Where do we meet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.