main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Eternal Darkness....anybody played it yet??

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by WindexedStormtrooper, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem was supposed to be released on June 24. It is the first GC exclusive to come out in a while (Resident Evil not included). It has also been in developement for a LONG time, to put it nicely, and also has received much attention and is long expected. Anyways, has anybody played it yet?? What is it like??? What is your review??

2. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Yes inquiring minds want to know. :)

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Not yet, but I heard it kicks major ass.

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I have it preordered. Getting it tomorrow. I'll tell you then.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So, does anybody else all ready have this game? Planning on getting it?

I got it the day it came out and I can tell you, it rocks. IMHO one of the best games I have ever played. The whole insanity effects thing... awesome.

I'm through 4 chapters of the Tome, which is sorta 4 levels if you want to try to make it more linear. From what I've read, I'm just scratching the surface though.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Justice_for_All

Justice_for_All Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    I have and it and its amazing. I'm playing as the archaeologists. It can really play on your with sanity effects, and the magic system is very good.

7. corran_rouge9

corran_rouge9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2001
    One of my best friends got the game, and we've been playing, taking turns. We've had nine chapters so far. It's sooooooo awesome. Best Gamecube game to date, one of the best games of all time.

8. MannyCalavera

MannyCalavera Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    The game is amazing. It balances puzzle solving and fighting really well. The magick system can be used for all sorts of things, and is surprisingly deep. The graphics are great, with the environments being extremely detailed. The insanity effects happen when your character is low in their sanity meter, and they are varied and imaginative. Playing as 12 characters, the game is always changing, with their different attributes. Finally the plot drives the game, and is one of the best video game plots I have seen. The history has been researched, and it adds a lot to the experiene, fully emersing you in the levels. Ok, im done. If there is anyway I could possibly rave more about this game, please tell me. : )

9. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Every NGC owner owes it to his or herself to pick this game up :). As everyone has said, it's quite incredible.

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm almost done the game. I'm at the fireman. It's way too easy, and not nearly scary enough. I never go insane, because you can easily just cast "Recover" and fix your sanity metre. Also, the plot is hard to follow. Environments lack variety. Other than that, good game.

11. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    IMO this game is probably the best Gamecube game so far. I love how the story has develop, I'm also almost finished (just finished chapter 11-the fireman) Even though I loved Resident Evil, this game is far better.

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I beat it on blue, and now I'm at Dr. Lindsey on red. Good game, but short and easy.

13. WindexedStormtrooper

Jun 11, 2001
    So, after further review, is the game worth purchasing, gang??

14. trav571

trav571 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    Its a great game. My only complante is that its to easy, I beat it when I rented it. I'm still going to buy it though. Its an awesome game.

15. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I would have it but us in the UK have to wait until October. :(

16. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I screamed so many times that my parents had to take it away from me for a few days.

Insane.

17. WindexedStormtrooper

Jun 11, 2001
    That sucks, ArabianSanchez. I know how much you are looking forward to this game.

18. RebelOutlaw_Ace

RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 2001
    The game freaked my friend out royally. I honestly didn't find anything scary about it.

It all depends on what you define as "scary." Resident Evil scared me out of my kilt (well...if I wore one it would've), but that was more of a "Woah that huge sucker just jumped out of nowhere and they played a high-pitched note and my heart skipped three beats!" type of scare.

Eternal Darkness is more of a psychological thriller. Insanity really plays a role in the game, and eventually, if you let your character lose too much sanity, then the game itself starts to screw around with YOU to make you get either ticked or paranoid. Sure, it was cool to see a character start to hallucinate (My head just fell off!), but it ticked me off when "Cannot Read Gamecube Controller" popped onto the screen with six zombies in the room, or when "Mute" appeared and the sound turned off. I actually started to search around for my remote because I thought I'd sat on it or something!

Anyways, YES, it's a good buy, and I'd recommend it to be played with the lights off right around midnight for maximum effect.

-Reb

19. trav571

trav571 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    Its a great gameand its for gamecube which makes it even better!

20. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    It's not all bad Windexed.
    It just means I have time to finish Burnout and get golds in RL.
    It will also be slightly better in PAL format.

21. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    so i guess i should go rent this game

22. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Nope, but I am looking forward to it, alot!

shinjo_jedi

23. IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO

IMPERIALPILOT_SOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Best game for GC, it messes with your head. Play it alone and you will be afraid, very afraid. Gets better and better the more you play it.

24. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    wow! i rented. i played. i feared.

this is a great game. its way better than resisdent evil, as im in to psychological stuff and all.

im gonna buy it when i get the money.

25. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    i have it rented right now, and im keeping it for 2 extra days cuz i like it so much (im on the chapter were u play as the munk)

some of the insanity effects are funny, once i walked into a room and i was surrounded by 10 zombies, but it said "nintendo game cube error, please insert controler into suket #1) and they killed me

another time it showed the blue windows error screen

and another time i played as a zombie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.