main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub EU Alien Diversity Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by gizkaspice, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    :D That was the intention.

The proper way of reading DOTJ, or anything else SW: David Attenborough style

then everything becomes awesome.

2. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, so long as you add a proper reduction sauce tailored for each species :p

3. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I remember the Cold Ones from the NJO books. Basically delicate starfish people that would melt due to the presence of starship exhaust.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Never heard of them before (possibly since I haven't read all of the NJO books). They sound interesting, but I couldn't find any pictures of them.

5. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    What would be an example of a recipe?

Maybe...

MUUN CAKE
    Ingredients:
    Muun
    Duros stock
    Yuzzem sauce mixed with Trandoshan egg

Darth Plagueis pretends that recipe doesn't exist
    :p

Mitth_Fisto, spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  6. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Brrbrlpp
    There are no official images of them, but I imagine they are like comb jellies.

spicer likes this.
  7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  8. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Nice! I like the Rakata Seer in that artist's gallery. Pretty Rakata are pretty..........creepy. :p

spicer likes this.
  9. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Creepy Rakata Elder things

Oh look they wear dresses! :p

[​IMG]

Nah, they're robes.

or are they... [face_thinking]

Mitth_Fisto and spicer like this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Original Poster: Why do you say this is an alien appreciation thread then exclude a good deal of the aliens in SW? I like aliens nearly of all kinds personally but it does include near humans. What about culture and biological aspects? Just because it looks similar to a human doesn't mean they are human per se. I am not trying to pick a fight I am seeking clarification why near-human equal 'too human like'.

11. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Short answer: I'm not excluding anything, you can talk about near-humans if you want.

Feel free to discuss culture/biological aspects.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
  13. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    A good point has been brought up...and I apologize how biased this place is...

since I can't change the original post...

HUMAN-LIKE ALIENS/NEAR-HUMANS ARE INCLUDED FOR DISCUSSION

Maybe this will actually get more ppl posting around here.

14. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    The Oswaft were pretty cool aliens. They resembled huge stingray if I remember correctly.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, OP. I appreciate it. :)[:D]

I think Chiss look really cool but are a bit limited in their diversity of traits and colours since blue skin, red eyes, black, blue, or blue-black hair is about all we get. I would love to see a Chiss Jedi. Rakara originally creeped me out a bit as their heads almost look upside down but they look pretty cool to me now. Love the DA pic.

I also like a lot of the humanoids that have animal like traits. The Ishi Tib, Ithorians, Gran, Ssi-ruu, and Nelvaanians among others.

gizkaspice likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Is a Padawan close enough?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nuru_Kungurama

BultarSwan likes this.
  17. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I would like more albino aliens--including albino Chiss. We have some albino Wookies somewhere. Do we have any albino Twi'leks? I think I saw one in DOTJ somewhere....

And of course, we need an albino Rakata--wait...maybe that can be done!

Pretend this frog is bipedal, 2m tall with Rakata-modifications and you got yourself an albino Rakata.:D

[​IMG]

......Okay, that's actually sort of creepy.

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How many non-humanoid aliens do we know of?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wookieepedia has a big list of nonhumanoids on the same page as the humanoid list, further down:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Humanoid

Mitth_Fisto and gizkaspice like this.
  20. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Rakata are not on that list :p

I guess they are not humanoid but more like "weird bipedal things"

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Their own entry calls them humanoid at least:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rakata

probably because they don't have extra arms like some of the "semihumanoids" do. The list is unlikely to be completely comprehensive.

22. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I always find the term "humanoid" a bit conflicting to some species.

For example, KOTOR Rakata are not really humanoid, TOR rakata are a bit more humanoid, and DOTJ is somewhere in between.

I assume humanoid to mean looking like humans in shape, especially having centered forward-facing eyes, etc. Most of the aliens listed are more heavily anthropomorphized. ...able to comfortably wear shoes or have 5-digit hands, etc.The Bivall, for example, have a very alien-looking head with slapped on humanoid-body with 5 digits, the angle of their knees identical to ours, etc.

So I guess I'm wondering when does a species become just "bipedal" with some traits similar to ours because evolution favored them instead of being full-blown humanoid and human-like?

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

Classification of a being as humanoid was not standardized or strict. Generally, it entailed having a basic anatomy or construction similar to Humans, that is, a central torso with a head on top, two arms symmetrically arranged on either side, and two legs symmetrically arranged below, providing an upright bipedal stance. Each arm ended in hands that had a variable number of fingers (used for grasping and moving objects), and each leg in feet (used for locomotion). A living humanoid's head had two eyes, a nose for breathing and smelling, and a mouth for nutrition and communication; a mechanical humanoid would not require respiration or nutrition, and would have two photoreceptors instead of eyes. Humanoid species generally had sparse hair, mainly concentrated on the head or face.
    A species with slight variations and deviations from this general arrangement could still be classified as humanoid. For example, Duros had no ears, nose, or hair; Twi'leks and Togruta featured headtails; and many non-humanoids had humanoid features. Wookiees, although seeming animalistic, could be called humanoids; they were also classified as anthropoids[3], a term referring to a species with simian features.
    Non-humanoid sentient species had distinctly nonhuman characteristics, such as tails, additional limbs (or even no limbs, as with the Slith), wings, additional heads (as the Cha'wen'hes), or invertebrate characteristics (as the Gree).

"Semihumanoid" tends to be associated with extra limbs, or less than the normal number.

I'd call Thisspiasians "semihumanoid" in the Star Wars context- given Sy Myrthians (humanoid from the waist up, sluglike from the waist down) are.

gizkaspice and Gamiel like this.
  24. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Probably no one will care but I'm wondering....

Do gizka and Rakata share some kind of a common ancestor but split somewhere in their evolution?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

They're both amphibian-like, maybe Rakata have a high reproductive rate, and the Infinite Empire used cannibalism as birth-control policy? Do Rakata have tail-things like gizka that they're horribly ashamed of and that's why they wear garments as above?

:p

Here's the ancestor of Selkath though:

[​IMG]

So it seems Selkath descended from a shark-like creature.
    I would have never guessed.

spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  25. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I would have never guessed it either (about the Selkath). As for the gizka-rakata being related, IMO I don't think Rakata evolved from gizka. But they do look a bit amhibian (and gizka are obviously frogs, so amhibians), so I'd say not ancestors, but maybe shared a common ancestor in the very distant past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.