main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub EU Alien Diversity Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by gizkaspice, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Very interesting parallel, Gamiel . I never made that connection.

After reading James Luceno's connection to the Romany people, it gave me some more perspective on the species.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I read The New Essential Guide to Alien Species and there it was rather obvious that they were highly inspired by romani

Pearlsaber likes this.
  3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Human-looking aliens are fine. The Ryn are interesting, any other depictions of them?

4. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gizkaspice likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Dan Brereton is a wonderful artist, that is the best beak nose I have seen and my favourite Droma image

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pearlsaber likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    One species I would like to know more about are the inhabitants of Korda VI, who (at least to me) are obviously uplifted gorillas
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    "Evolution has dealt a new hand--you lose!"

spicer and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

From which comic is this?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jango Fett: Open seasons

spicer likes this.
  9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

Thanks!

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To give an example, if we saw a group of wookies dressed like this pic below they would give a different impression then wookies dressed in the “traditional” way
    [​IMG]
    from Star Wars Celebration VI in Orlando

Starkeiller and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  11. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Cushing's Admirer and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have recently read through Dawn of the Jedi vol. 1 and I am disappointed by the non- and near-human representation. What little we see of non-jed'daii culture is twi'lek and it look to much like modern, non-tCW, twi'lek culture; Jan Duursema continue her trend of depicting all female devaronian (even children!?!) as shaved instead of their natural fury self; we also see a young mirialan women with the traditional (for move-era) tattoos, this is like a pre-Babylon jew were depicted wearing haredi stile clothes!; and all the talids we see are nothing but background fillings:(

On a personal note: I think the sith are depicted to human like; it is a very stupid idea to give wings to a rancor, the Millennium Falcon looks more aerodynamical than that animal; I don't like the design used for the noghri; there is also a loot of continuity problems that give me headache and I don't think there is any women (except for Sek'nos old grandmother) that don't show cleavage

On the other hands the female representation is good when it comes to both the main and secondary characters and I like their use of talid, selkath and sith

13. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Ugh, makes me glad I haven't read the comics then.

14. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Gamiel about the shaved Devaronian, I did some research about this, apparently she wanted to add diversity to them---perhaps possible subspecies, but variation amongst a species. Check out the comic Jedi: Aayla Secura, various "furry" Devaronians are shown. I'm all for species diversity, but IMO her preference is probably drawing furless Devaronians. In the last arc, there is a "furry" Devaronian in the background and there are really only about 3 or 4 in the entire series so idk.

Twi'leks are a bit different here--they aren't the stereotypical ones we see in later SW. There's also a chubby Twi'lek warrior in the mix.

The "dragon-rancor" is a mutated rancor created by the Je'daii--they do a lot of mutating creature things and experiments. So it's not natural and I think it shows... (I don't think it flies very well).

Maybe during this era the Je'daii are more laid-back and just choose what they want to wear without any restrictions compared to "modern Jedi". And it's a comic so not surprising.....but luckily there are many women who don't show cleavage as well.

The background non-humans I think show the most diversity. As for continuity issues...I don't think the intent of DOTJ was to have continuity issues, but some of the choices are confusing.

Anyways, if you have other questions feel free to ask as I've read this thing dozens of times.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I will return to this later
    Also: what do "idk" mean?
    I will return to this later
    I know that's why I find it so stupid they decided to give it wings. Why not use one of those riding lizards?
    I am not talking about just the Je'daii, I mean that nearly every female with breast is showing a cleavage
    I am not complaining about the amount of non- and near-humans, I am complaining about how they are shown
    mirialan tattoos; humans riding rancors on Dathomir;

16. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    it means "i don't know." Sorry.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but the rancor with wings becomes more important in the last arc. I think it's silly and just really clumsy, but the Je'daii themselves aren't very smart IMO ;)

I agree but some don't like Kora Ryo, Sek'nos' grandmother, and females in the background of Despot war.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Mirialans have tattoos? And humans ride Dathomir rancors in "modern" times as well? (Dathomir witches and such).

17. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    I think the issue with the Mirialans having tattoos is more of a why? Statement. I mean if it is from this far back in their history as a tradition then those transplanted would likely have kept the tradition going, especially after being surrounded by aliens. Since some human cultures have been getting tattoos since before a written history for their culture was created, I don't really see a problem with this aspect.

gizkaspice likes this.
  18. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Some cultures have also been doing things for thousands of years and some keep their traditions despite being amongst other cultures. The TOR encyclopedia mentions that Mirialans use tattoos to symbolize their cultural worth, to have this culture extend this far in history (about 20,000 years) is kind of interesting maybe.

spicer would you be interested in contributing to any of this since you also know DOTJ?

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To me the problem is that the fur is what set the devaronian females apart, take that away and they are just another technicolored human like alien and we already have too many of those.

It feels a bit like only showing wookiees with just their scalp hair when all the fluff tell us that they are supposed to have a full body of fur
    Also I admit that I don’t read that much SW comics but most comic images I have seen of female devaronians are of them furless and in Legacy and Dawn of the jedi all female devaronians we have seen are furless what I can remember; so it feels a bit that the furless one somehow have taken over.
    I admit that I am probably clumping all twi'leks together since the only one we have seen (that are not je'daii) are the Ryo syndicate on Shikaakwa but they are show rather similar to how the non-tCW Eu depict twi’lek society: family based, corrupt with a preference for underground full of glowing mushrooms

I just think that it would have been smarter to choose something more aerodynamic, like a horse
    True, but I personally would like to see a bit less of it among the main characters

The problem is that humans should not be on Dathomir for at least some 30.000 years and it was not until Allya that they were able to befriend the rancors and ride them, but then again the nightsisters were originally not able to ride them until YJK-era…

It is not that they are tattooed it is that they have the same kind of tattoos as in the movie-era

gizkaspice likes this.
  20. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Ah good point, I haven't read the comic so I have no reference for the tattoo style, by any chance does someone know if the tattoos also resemble those of the TOR era? If so it could be made a case that the status tattoos have been a stable part of their social identity in spite of changes in time and tech.

21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

Personally, I like the way Jan Duursema depicts the aliens in her comics. Only complaints that I have are the Selkath females in the first DOTJ arc (I am not sure if we saw them again?) that are depicted with mammalian breasts, which doesn't make much sense to me, but oh well...Also, the way that the females are almost always showing cleavage is a bit silly IMO as well, but I guess that's just Jan's artistic style.

gizkaspice and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  22. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    So. . .did Jan used to be a D&D armor smith or something? Because as a style it doesn't make much sense to expose a tunnel view to the heart.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said, Mithy. But then most female armour as depicted in art of any sort makes no sense. It's clearly obvious (likely men) are going to the sex appeal.

24. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    True, but even as a guy, are you reading SW comics for the hot aliens, or because you are a geek and like the aliens period? Sense, this does not make. For me I don't read the comics beyond Crimson Empire and Dark Empire arcs, still when I see the aliens I am more 'ooh alien' and not 'ooh cleavage'

gizkaspice and spicer like this.
  25. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

I agree with you, but the only explanation I have is that that's Jan's artistic style. She even draws males as very muscular as well, in a very "sexual" way (Seknos Rath from DOTJ, Cade and Jariah from Legacy, Quinlan Vos from Republic...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.