main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU and the Prequels...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DeltaJedi, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    This is a thought I've been having for a while now...

Maybe I'm he only one, but I'd really like to see some of the better published EU material refrenced on the big screen. I know, it's Lucas's universe, and that what the EU writers contribute really is only 'canon' so far as Lucas decides not to contradict what it has said. Having said that, though...I think it'd bring a real sense of 'unity' into the whole endevour just to do a few throw away cameoes/lines about established EU stuff. They're doing it on the HolonetNews.com website, so why not in the movies too?

Some of the bigger EU occurences that are set to happen in this general period of E1-E3 (Jorus C'boath and the "Outbound Flight" project, the Bothan sabotage of Camaas). So, I guess what I'm wondering is what does everyone think about some of this stuff making appearences? Is it just Lucas's playground, or should some props be given to the guys who were keeping it current back in the '90s?

-Matt "The Stampede"
    ^- Thinks it'd be kickin' if Mara Jade finally made it on the big screen.

2. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I think it would be cool to mention something from the EU. It'd give us EUers something to use in aruments, at least, and would make the books seem that much better.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The problem with having EU in the movies is that it's way too debateable, even among EU fans. Some characters that many people love are flat and "cliche", like Mara Jade IMO. A lot of the plots of the books are also very common.

That's not to say they're bad, but no Star Wars film has had a plot or anything that was something the mainstream had seen over and over, except for the overall story of good versus evil.

Thus, I would like to keep EU at a very small level in the films, simply because we already have our characters for the PT, if more made it in it would simply be to make unneccesary storylines (i.e. Mara Jade appearing).

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I did think it was interesting to see the Outrider taking off in ANH Special Edition, even though I was dissapointed with Shadows of the Empire.

5. 5darth2maul1

5darth2maul1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Let Lucas do what he wants with his universe...Sorry I have to be so negative but it's the way I've always felt...

5D2M1

6. Padawan_adnama

Padawan_adnama Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2001
    it IS lucas's deal to decided what to put in the movies. And i think since he's done such a good job in coming up with the sw universe, he'd be a better judge of what does and doesn't fit into the movie plot's EU wise.

7. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Eu=not his story

8. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    Wasn't there a massive inconsistency about Yoda in one of the Zahn novels? Something about the piece of technology Luke finds when he goes back to Dagobah, and a huge battle between Yoda and C'Baoth that directly contradicts what the prequels set up? I know the books aren't "official" continuity or whatever, but still...

9. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Um ya,because eu is all made up by the author,Lucas dosent tell them what to write,its all made up in there little heads.Thats why it sucks

10. Nismo1223

Nismo1223 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 2002
    Darthfunk....is your icon actually a scene from the movie...? Obiwan kissing Jango.....ow jeez..i never knew they get frisky in SW movies...

11. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Ya mr bra will love this.Eu sucks bad,bad.It has nothing to do with the movies,not cannon

12. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...yeah EU sucks...i read one EU novel the approaching storm and it sucked....the vision was so wrong...anakin singing...obi wan telling stories...great distinction between padawans and jedi knights...which is the one that really killed me because the author tries to make a huge distinction by having anakin and bariss offee come across as borderline incompetent in some ways...which is rediculous because obiwan kenobi, while still a padawan learner, defeated darth maul...

...and yes i think the entire EU sucks based on that one novel...the idea is simple and indisputable...i am able to judge th EU based on one novel because it would be rediculous to say "ok this book wasnt good so it didnt really happen, but this book was great so it did happen" [all subconsciously of course] once you except one EU novel you must except them all...i also think it sucks because each author has a different perspective of "star wars"...and it seems a bit watered down to me...

...i just had two beers so i hope all of that made sense...hah...

13. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Post-OT Novels are not all bad. Except for the Zahn novels and the NJO some of them are actually good.

Pre-PT are crap. The only ones worth reading is some of the Jedi Appentice books. Some are good and some are very predictable.

As for EU cameos in the Prequels. I think George is gonna keep the cameos to a minimum. I don't mind them much though.

14. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Come on, if it wasn't for the EU you folks would miss out on all the cool things about Star Wars. Like how Luke Skywalker gets beat down on a regular basis by lame villans or how Luke, Han and the rest of the gang manage to single handily save the galaxy book after book after book, year after year. Or the clones of The Emperor. Or the Empires consistant need for a new super doomsday weapon. Great stuff.

15. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I think we owe the EU authors a thank you for all that stuff Owen mentioned. ;)

16. Patches

Mar 4, 2002
    [face_plain]

I think you also owe them a thank you for bringing Star Wars back to life when it was out of most people's minds.

17. Count_Draku

Count_Draku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    I've only read the Zahn books, but as far as I'm concerned, EU is just plain awful. Books are okay for something like Star Trek, where each novel is like a television episode. For Star Wars, however, it just doesn't work. Somehow, the stories don't seem grand enough. I'll stick with the movies, and hope that Lucas doesn't include any EU stuff in the movies, other than some vehicles, I suppose.

18. Patches

Mar 4, 2002
    Nevermind the link, I'll just give you a quote: "Her appearance in the film marks the first time one of the characters created specifically for the "Expanded Universe" has made the leap..."

So, basically, there will be an EU character in AOTC, for those who didn't know. :)

19. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I would have to agree with most people when they say that The EU is, for the most part, pretty bad. A good majority of the writing is very cliched, borrowing heavily on formuelic Sci-Fi writings and just adapting characters from the Star Wars universe over to mundane plots.

The real reason that the EU falters, IMO, is because the writers are unwilling (or unable, by agreement with Lucasfilm) to have the characters change and grow. They shift slightly, but the Han Solo of the EU (from what I've read) is pretty much the same as the Han Solo of the OT. Things happen to the characters, but they don't change as a result of them, which makes for fairly boring reading. That, of course, and the whole 'sueprweapon of the month' got old really quickly. By the time they hit the "Sun Crusher" I just had to laugh.

However, I personally found the 5 books that Timothy Zahn wrote to be quite interesting, and pretty good reads. I liked a lot of his characters, and I thought he did a very good job capturing the feel of the SW universe.

But, that's neither here nor there. I'm not here to defend or roast the EU (because both are definately too easy). I personally just find it fun to pick up on little things, and there are enough cool, little things in the EU that I'd much rather see a background glimpse of something I've read about then some "aliens" Lucas threw in the movie to be buddy-buddy with Steven Spielberg.

-Matt "The Stampede"

20. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Patches, it sounds like you're talking about Alya Secura (is that how you spell her name?). She's a Twi-Lek Jedi from some comic books. I've never read them, but she is apparently quite popular. Anyway, she is in the movie. I think she's nothing more than an extra though. I have acctually seen a picture in the Jedi Temple with what looks like her walking around in the background. It's neat, I suppose, but since I don't know the first thing about her I don't care either way.

I personaly quite like EU, at least most of it. I agree that there are some quite crummy books (the Bounty Hunter Wars, Shadows of the Empire, The Crystal Star, Rogue Planet among many others), and yes, the writing quality is sometimes questionable but I enjoy them, and isn't that what counts? I haven't read any of the comics. I do like how EU refernces keep popping up on HNN, sometimes very obscure ones, but I think a lot would perhaps be somewhat out of place in the movies. The Alya Secura thing was simply a case of "we need a cool looking extra, hey, this comic character looks neat, let's bung her in," but delibrately trying to pepper the movie with EU stuff would be stupid.

21. Master_Kloon

Master_Kloon Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Lets face is people the only reason Georgie let anyone create an EU at all was to get more money. ;)

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>The real reason that the EU falters, IMO, is because the writers are unwilling (or unable, by agreement with Lucasfilm) to have the characters change and grow. They shift slightly, but the Han Solo of the EU (from what I've read) is pretty much the same as the Han Solo of the OT. Things happen to the characters, but they don't change as a result of them, which makes for fairly boring reading. <<

It depends on what era you read about. Luke definately changed after his brush with the dark side in Dark Empire (but about on par with the character tone shift he took between ESB and ROTJ). I should also add that the "New Jedi Order" series addresses most of your concerns- since all 20-some-odd books were planned out as one story arc, you get alot of character development (particularly in Han Solo, Leia and their children) over the course of multple books, so events always have lasting effects.

>>That, of course, and the whole 'sueprweapon of the month' got old really quickly. By the time they hit the "Sun Crusher" I just had to laugh.<<

Well, actually, the Sun Crusher was basicly the first one out of the gate, so at the time it didn't seem very repetitive (and, at least, isn't a stretch in terms of concept- beyond the armor it utilized). Although I agree the multple super weapons did seem a tad tedious after awhile. Thankfully they steered away from that direction in recent years (again, particulalrly in the New Jedi Order series where the end result won't hinge on a new super weapon and, in fact, have pretty much ruled out the possibility of using any existing older one, which is great since it brings the focus down to the characters).

Anyways, steering back on topic, I don't believe you'll see much in the way of EU story elements in episode 3 (outbound flight project takes place prior to AOTC, the Yoda/Dark Jedi thing, the caamasi incident, Boba Fett's stint as Jaster Mereel, etc all take place after Episode 3) because, as Lucas said, the EU isn't "his story". Lucas's story is about Anakin, so thats what you'll see in movies. It's up to the EU authors to tell all the other stories in the SW universe and/or fill in the blanks left by the movies.

However, that doesn't rule out the possibility of EU non-story elements (such as Aayla Secura, Holocrons, the Tund system, the Coruscant name, Outrider, Swoops, etc) appearing in the next film- I find it very likely you'll see Z-95 Headhunters (based on early x-wing production designs) and Victory-class Star Destroyers (again, based on early Imperial-class designs) since Lucas loves to reuse old concept designs (old falcon designs becoming republic transport, etc) and seems to be focusing on seeing the evolution of PT-era designs into OT-era designs as a main visual theme.

Depending on the events of E3, you might also see Dreadnaughts in the background of a space battle or in orbit around a planet or something along those lines (such as the Outrider in ANH:SE). Same goes for background Jedi (such as Aayla Secura)- you might see Quinlan Vos since he's a fan favorite character and we already know Lucas likes the character design since the character was based on one in TPM on Tatooine. And, of course, alien designs are always a possibility also (be great to see a Colicoid, Bothan or whatever the hell Nym is).

So, you could see any or all of those elements (again, it would depend on the circumstances of E3), but don't expect a plot point to be one also.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> ...and yes i think the entire EU sucks based on that one novel...<<

Just because one novel is not so great and it's events may be referenced down the road by another source (in this case, Attack of the Clones, since Lucas wanted Brooks to write a direct lead-in to the flick, giving him access to the script, etc) doesn't mean all the books suck. For every Aproaching Storm, Crystal Star or Planet of Twilight there are a dozen Thrawn Trilogies, X-Wing series, Shadow Hunters, or Star By Stars to counter it with great quality.

You could also look at it from this point of view- If you end up disliking a particular title, while you might have to "accept" the events of that title as part of the SW continuity, you don't have to nessasarily accept a particular author's characterizations on a personal level when viewing or reading other material.

24. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    The2ndQuest said: For every Aproaching Storm, Crystal Star or Planet of Twilight there are a dozen Thrawn Trilogies, X-Wing series, Shadow Hunters, or Star By Stars to counter it with great quality.

Absolutely. I admit that I was acctually quite surprised when I came here as to how many people seriously dislike EU. My train of thought always went "It's Star Wars! Gimmie gimmie gimme!!!" Yes, they aren't all great, and there is some real crap out there, but don't judge the whole thing from one book.

25. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...just to be clear...i didnt say if one book sucks all the books suck...i said if one book sucks the EU [extended universe] sucks...

...a bad EU book can taint your whole enjoyment of star wars...you read a bad one...then you read a good one...then your running around reading all these books some good, most bad...cant you see how much that takes away from star wars?...the product becomes very watered down...

...anyway im not willing to risk having my enjoyment of star wars deteriorate through gluttony...i love star wars...and if it isnt george lucas' creation then i cant take the risk...

...and boy i didnt even respond to the original idea proposed here...i think adding an EU character is fine why wouldnt it be...but just to add...i dont think you can accurately say that her 'character' was added...i think its just the name and face...everything else will most likely b e different...and is aayla secura that female jedi up there on top of the page with the strips and red and cream skin?...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.