main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU appearance in TPM DVD

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Knight1192, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    That's right. The EU appears in the DVD version of TPM. Watching the Pod Race Grid scene I heard something that made me say "Wait a minute". So I put on the captioning and rewound. After some difficulty getting the captioning on, I finally got what I was after. The Tund system. Ben Quadinaros is introduced as being from the Tund system.

Why do I get so excited over the Tund system? Well, to the best of my knowledge, the Tund system only appeared in the EU prior to the DVD release. More to the point, the system is only mentioned. It was the home of the Sorcerers of the Tund, the last one being Rokur Gepta. The system never actually appears, but we know it exsisted. As far as I know, Tund made it's first appearance in the Lando Calrissian Adventures (Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu, Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon, and Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka). Rokur Gepta appears in all three books and is finally killed by Lando in the third.

If I'm right, then this is at least the second time a part of the EU ended up appearing in the movies, even if it is just in a deleted scene on the DVD. The first time being in the SE to ANH with the appearence of the Outrider. Valiento, Genghis, you are two of the folks I know of who would know for certain if Tund was simply something only appearing in the EU prior to both the making of TPM and the release of the TPM DVD. If you could confirm or deny what I have said I'd gladly appreciate it.

2. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    That was all from pre-production work (the design and ILM guys name all of the major elements, i.e. CG models featured prominently), and an earlier draft of the script. Where do you think EU got it from?

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The Lando Calrissian Adventaure came out well before GL even thought of doing prequels, so it's safe to say that TPM got the name from the novels rather than the other way around.

4. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Point made.

I should have read the original post more carefully. I was referring to the various pod racer names and origins, almost all of which were from pre-production.

Forgot you were talking specifically about Tund. However, I'll check last month's Insider - they did mention Tund's origins to some extent.

Though at a stretch, it could be a coincidence. You know, like double-bladed lightsabers or "Larry Potter"?

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    If you see the original concepts of the Podracers, one will notice that they originally came from a ton of EU and movie planets, including New Cov and Sullust.

Tund was the only one to survive the cuts. I suggest reading more on it in the latest SW Insider magazine, in Dan Wallace's "Planets of Episode I" feature.

Also, no one forget that "Boonta" is an EU planet, as well as another one mentioned in AotC ( and no, I'm not talking about Ansion. That's a movie planet first and foremost. )

6. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Ben Quadrineros, the anthropomorphic frosted flake, is actually from the Toong system. I got excited when I heard this in the theater also, but if you listen closely you'll hear the proper "Toong." A backstory has been developed where beings from the Toong system colonized the Tund system, and you can read about it in the last Insider.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    No, the Podrace announcer definitely says Tund.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Sullust isn't an EU planet!

It's in NAFTA!

It's also in Return of the Jedi, but that's beside the point...

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    They clearly said Tund on the DVD.

10. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    They say Tund. Another source said he was from Toong'l. So, the natural combination was that he's from Toong'l in the Tund system.

And I know that Sullust isn't EU. That's why I said "EU and movie planets".

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    My bad... oops!-)

12. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    On his OS databank entry, his homeworld is Tund, the species is Toong

13. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Anyway... About EU things in the movies... Coruscant !!! Yup... That's quite a BIG EU thing that made it to the movies...

14. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    "Inside the Worlds of Episode 1" has Quadinaro listed as being from the Toong system. However the Galactic map in the front of the book has Tund and Toong'l in the Toong system.

D'oh

15. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    No big deal. Planets can have more than one name.

Several years ago, an RPG article in the Adventure Journal listed the Trandoshan homeworld as Dosha. Most sources had it as Trandosha.

Now, for most of the new books, they just list those names as both being valid for the planet.

And let's not forget Kashyyyk and Kazhyyyk, the latter of which came first. ( It kinda sounds pronounced that way in the Holiday Special. )

16. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Anyway... About EU things in the movies... Coruscant !!! Yup... That's quite a BIG EU thing that made it to the movies...

Created by Zahn, I believe.

However, I am now so completely sick of the debate as to whether the Expanded Universe is canon or not. Those that say it isn't will keep saying so until you sit Lucas down in front of them so that he can say "Look you guys, I have read every single Expanded Universe book and comic fifty times each. It's all canon! And here's a signed afadavit to that effect." And even then they still might call him a liar or incorrect or that he doesn't know what he's talking about or must have been sick that day and wasn't thinking straight.

I have to hand it to Sturm, Knight, and Genghis, you lasted longer than I thought you would in this and the other canon debates. You are also right in your statements. However, you would have better luck convincing fish to fly than wining the canon debate, because no matter what you produce as evidence, they will deny it, because "that guy only worked at LucasFilm for six years and not ten like the other who supports our argument, so I don't believe you." I mean, they even used Lucas' own words about how great he thought the Expanded Universe was as a measure of how much he didn't read it or didn't like it.

From my perspective, Expanded Universe is canon and always will be. It's not that I didn't read what the other side has said, I have read all their posts, even agreed with some of them, but the fact remains that IT IS and ALWAYS WILL BE canon. Their demand for absolute proof, that is a statement from the Flanneled One, is next to impossible to provide and that which they would attempt to refute anyway, so they choose not to believe. That's fine.

I will always remain of the opinion that when it comes to Star Wars, you take what you want and leave the rest behind. At this point canon becomes what YOU make it.

17. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Yup, it was created by Zahn. The original concept was from Lucas, but the name itself, 'Coruscant' was created by Zahn and existed at least three years before Lucas started to work on TPM script.

So the EU DEFINITELY made it into the movies.

18. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Is the alien taxi driver in the DVD a Bothan? I didn't get a real close look at him, but it sure seemed to resemble one.

Sesfan

19. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    It is not a Bothan. He's from an unknown species, but is called a 'Mot Not Rab', after the name of a - I think - senator bearing that name who is from the same species.

20. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Valiento amd Genghis could definately help to settle this.

21. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Hey, I'm just as knowledgable as them! [face_mischief]

It's not a Bothan, if that's the question.

22. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Hey, I gave you credit.

23. DarthDatorri

DarthDatorri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    Mot Not Rab = Tom Barton backwards

24. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Coruscant (the name) may have existed on some list somewhere for Revenge of the Jedi. Lucas may have very well have come up with it, and Zahn used it.

25. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Caption from the databank entry of Coruscant at TOS:

"Author Timothy Zahn gave Coruscant its name in his 1991 novel, Heir to the Empire. When it came time to finally unveil the galactic capital on the big screen in the revamped ending of the Return of the Jedi Special Edition release, Lucas adopted the name Coruscant."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.