main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU at 2004 Comic-Con San Diego.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jawajames , Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I want a FULL report from Jawa and Jan when you both get back and Jan promise me to get the name/phone numbers of any good looking guys dressed like Quinlan Vos. :D

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    It really stinks that Comic Con is going to be the week *before* I go to San Diego... :p

TC

3. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Why can't you move your trip up, Talon? :confused:

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    added autograph session:
    Star Wars Continuity
    Tim Zahn, Greg Keyes, Aaron Allston
    AA5 Friday, 5:00 pm ? 6:00 pm

edit: and the signing schedule at the Dark Horse booth
    Friday Star Wars Day Signings? Star Wars writers & artists all day!

11:00 am - 12:00 pm: David M. Beck (Empire #13, 16-18)
    12:00 pm - 1:00 pm: Ben Caldwell (Clone Wars Adventures) and Doug Wheatley (Empire: Darklighter)
    1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Ron Marz (Darth Maul, Jango Fett/Zam Wesell, Empire 19-21)
    2:00 pm - 3:00 pm: Tsuneo Sanda (Tales, AOTC) and HOON (Yoda)
    3:00 pm - 4:00 pm: Haden Blackman (Open Seasons, Battle of Jabiim, Tales 18 and 19, Rep 50-53, 60, Crossbones)and Brian Ching (rep 50s 60s, Empire 5,6,19)
    4:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Matt & Shawn Fillbach (Clone Wars adventures) and Tomás Giorello (Darklighter, Jabiim, other Republic)
    5:00 pm - 6:00 pm: Jan Duursema (Republic, Rite of Passage, Jedi, Darkness, etc.) and Dan Parsons (Jedi, Republic: Show of Force)

Saturday: (not SW-related)
    4:30 pm - 6:00 pm - Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez with special guests Jessica Alba, Jamie King, and Rosario Dawson (Sin City)

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    /lifts fingers.
    1. Star Wars stuff.
    2. Penny Arcade Stuff.
    3. Sin City stuff.

Damnit now I must find a way to go there!

6. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    JawaJames can you give us any updates about the EU panels that were held today?

7. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Yes, yes, the President demands an update on the situation.

8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    due to some bad chronologics on my part.. i missed the first half of the Clone Wars panel because i misread my watch.... and then the panel i was hosting got out late, so i missed the first 15 minutes of the Continuity panel. i will apologize to lord vader now
    i completely skipped the hasbro panel since no one here was interested in it. all of this is my word and my take on what i heard.

*thud* apology accepted...

the big news from the continuity panel:
    Sue Rostoni(?): Ballantine has book license in the post-2005 timeframe, with a post-NJO nine(?) book series, written by 3 authors - aaron allston, troy denning... and the third had not yet been decided. each will do one hardcover. most likely it will include both Jacen/Jaina/Ben and Luke/Leia/Han.

this stuff came out of one or the other panel.. i can't remember which...
    memory dump commencing

look for a KOTOR story coming up in Tales --#22 or 23.

they talked about Armor, and some the other upcoming Republic, Empire, and Clone Wars comics. (unf, i missed most of this :( i believe that Armor will be about the destruction of Honoghr, and armor applies to the physical armor of the clones, as well as the armor of the Jedi: the force, and the other sorts of armor that different people use.

Medstar II was originally subtitled just Healer, but after a suggestion posted on the TOS message boards, it was changed to Jedi Healer. Sue does not seek

Michael Reaves knows that it was supposed to be "Great" Hyperspace War and not "Stark" so stop emailing him.

with the post-NJO there are two conflicting interests: wanting to keep Leia/Han/Luke in the middle of things (popularity) and trying to show that the whole universe really doesn't revolve around them (universe becoming unreal or repetitive).

Aaron Allston does not write in-jokes despite being a punster, however one time his 'possible character name file got confused with a file that had the hungarian translation for "The Phantom Menace".. so perhaps there is a character with a similar sounding name. Greg Keyes has some sort of recurring thing about writing at least one woman character with a problem with her hand or arm. The editors wished that when the authors made in-jokes that they tell the editors about it (presumably to say whether they stay or go).

There was a bit of talk on how Zahn had to deal with continuity with the TTT... (basically a list of "don't touch this") -- he wanted to do more with the clone wars, but is happier now with what he did.

some discussion on how authors interact with each other regarding writing each other's characters. There is a reason that Mara in NJO was not the typical Zahn-style Mara, because she was elsewhere in her life, but trying to return to the Zahn-style. Authors may ask each other how to get into the character but don't need to... although Kathy Tyers once sent Zahn a draft with every instance of Mara flagged for him.

why no big battles in Clone Wars novels (Jedi Trial will have some) -- SW is about people. an author cant compete with ILM's special effects budget. they want to create stories and not histories. Pablo, when writing the HNN was the most free in reporting the 'history' angle. again, SW is about people.

dealing with George: while Lucas Licensing meets with him weekly, sometimes the most they can get from him on answering questions is writing him a series of yes/no questions on where his decisions are (ie Does Obi-wan ever leave Tatooine after becoming a hermit to watch over Luke? Yes/No)

The general consensus about continuity is that
    a) not everything you read is true -- sometimes the characters are either lying, misled, or uninformed.. (case in point: Kyp Durron believing that he is more powerful than Luke -- that's only his opinion)
    sometimes authors don't know that a character is untruthful until later books are published...

b) while they admire fans attention to detail.. sometimes they wish continuity-hounds were a little less hounding.. however while Sue doesn't solicit fan-made spackles, oftentimes fan-spackle that is

9. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    GalacticHunter.com has a bunch of pictures from Comic Con...

Here's one of Jedi Trial's back cover-
    [image=http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/events/comic-con_international_%282004%29/del_rey/delrey_06.jpg]

10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Any more info on KOTOR2? And I mean brand new info having nothing to do with what we've seen here on the boards or the clips we've seen at Gamespot.

11. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    "why no big battles in Clone Wars novels (Jedi Trial will have some) -- SW is about people. an author cant compete with ILM's special effects budget. they want to create stories and not histories. Pablo, when writing the HNN was the most free in reporting the 'history' angle. again, SW is about people."

That's the lamest ass excuse I've ever heard.

Plenty of Star Wars books have not sacrificed action for character development. It's called Star Wars fer Christ sake! The opening shot of the first film is a space battle! [face_plain]

That's a pretty stupid statement and I hope it won't effect future books.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "a) not everything you read is true -- sometimes the characters are either lying, misled, or uninformed.. (case in point: Kyp Durron believing that he is more powerful than Luke -- that's only his opinion)"

Let's not forget that based on the tests Luke adminstered in JAT, that even Luke thought Kyp was more powerful than him.

The most important test;

This power allows a Jedi to probe the mind of a target, and determine whether that person has the potential to be strong in the Force.

The deep subconscious of a Force-sensitive person is shielded by a protective barrier which prevents another Force wielder from penetrating his or her inner mind. This shield pushes violently back at an intruder, sending him or her stumbling back. This "shield" is an involuntary defence mechanism maintained by every Force-sensitive person. It is one reliable way to determine which people might have the potential to become Jedi.

The magnitude of the backlash generated by the shield depends on the character's strength in the Force. A person who is merely Force-sensitive will shove the intruder back several feet. Someone with actual Force skills will produce a more intense reaction. Those with little training will send the intruder reeling back across the room. Someone who is well-trained, or who has a great deal of raw talent in the Force, might actually hurl an intruder across the room.
    -JATSB, TOTJSB.

13. Tee-Sin_Quay

Tee-Sin_Quay Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    That is a lame excuse, if Lucas can pull off a small personal conflict and a bigger galactic conflict in his story, surely the products based off of that can do the same.

Anyway as I've been assured by David Sherman, Jedi Trial will have lots of combat "battles, a plenty" and still be able to keep the character development which will attract readers.
    And I think his & Dan Cragg's take on Anakin Skywalker will be better than any other authors take, although admittedly he's is still scaled down because some of the things they wanted to wdo with Anakin's character are in fact going to be left for EP3 ;)

Anyway Its a flimsy excuse. I think they picked the wrong authors in some cases. Or designed rubbish plots for certain novels.
    Anyhow, Jedi Trial will be the REAL Clone Wars novel we've all been waiting for.

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    " Anyway Its a flimsy excuse. I think they picked the wrong authors in some cases. Or designed rubbish plots for certain novels.
    Anyhow, Jedi Trial will be the REAL Clone Wars novel we've all been waiting for. "

The war is perhaps the most unimportant aspect of the Clone Wars IMO. I enjoy reading about the more personal conflicts and the effects of the war on a smaller scale. And seeing the plans and counter plans of the politics.

Please no physical threats of violence please.

15. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    That's the lamest ass excuse I've ever heard.

No, the lamest excuse used is "Lucas told us to!"

Particularly when it doesn't turn out to be true...

16. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    It's such a joke that Zahn is on the continuity panel. Hopefully, he's the guy not to follow. He even botched up his short story's dates. Shmi died 12 years ago? No, 20 months. Why does this guy get away with such lazy poor stuff like this? No excuse whatsoever.

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "It's such a joke that Zahn is on the continuity panel. Hopefully, he's the guy not to follow. He even botched up his short story's dates. Shmi died 12 years ago? No, 20 months. Why does this guy get away with such lazy poor stuff like this? No excuse whatsoever."

ROTFLOL... Something tells me they "won't" get away with Noghri years on that one, [face_laugh].

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Damn, after all the coolness coming from Comic-Con during the past years, I need to make plans to go next time.

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Is it not the editors who screen a person's work, to spot the Shmi date?

Yeah, I know. What editors?

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    They exist, but oh they don't edit Zahn's works so that they don't have to face him, or his refusal to write (or whatever it is they worry about), :p.

Oh and to make things easier on themselves so they don't have to do much editing, they have their new policy that not everything you read is true.

The general consensus about continuity is that
    a) not everything you read is true -- sometimes the characters are either lying, misled, or uninformed.. (case in point: Kyp Durron believing that he is more powerful than Luke -- that's only his opinion)
    sometimes authors don't know that a character is untruthful until later books are published...

b) while they admire fans attention to detail.. sometimes they wish continuity-hounds were a little less hounding.. however while Sue doesn't solicit fan-made spackles, oftentimes fan-spackle that is mentioned on the TOS boards might influence the creation of an official spackle (as discussed by their spackling committee -Pablo, Sue, Paul Ens, others).

Or the other one I've seen used before, is that there all a bunch of seperate myths, that don't have to connect together...

21. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Or the other one I've seen used before, is that there all a bunch of seperate myths, that don't have to connect together...

They didn't mention that one at the panel...

22. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    At the Lego booth in the SW pavilion, LEGO had on display a TIE/d (the droid TIE from Dark Empire)... i didn't think anything of it until my friend found this on the lego site:

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10131&cn=4&d=5&t=3

if the TIE/d is coming as part of a TIE 4-ship set... why would they include an EU TIE over movie TIEs?

or will the TIE/d possibly make an appearance either in DVDs or Ep3?

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "They didn't mention that one at the panel..."

Thank goodness, I think it was only Pablo that brought it up a few times over at VIP threads, :p...

24. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    any thoughts on the TIE/d thing?

25. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Doubtful, it probably has less bricks (and is therefore cheaper to include) than the Interceptor, Defender, Bomber or other TIEs.

>>"an author cant compete with ILM's special effects budget."<<

[face_plain] No, but our imaginations can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.