main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU Books you didn't particularly like.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jedi_john_33, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I'm a little over halfway through "The Crystal Star." The characters are so off the chart of their demeanor from other SW books I have read. Up until now, everything about the common character was the same, or damn near in each book, it was like one author had been writing the whole time.

Vodna McIntyre (forgive the spelling because I don't feel like looking at the book right now :p) just totally changed the face of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and even Threepio!

*highlighted just incase*

Jaina is 5 years old. Jedi traits or not, I don't even think a 10 year old would be as clever as she is in figuring this stuff out, or to hide her escape in the door. At 5, if somebody was nice to me, even if they had bad intentions...how the heck am I supposed to know that? I wasn't capable of complex thought like expressed there.

but yeah...enough of my spiel...any others?

2. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    All of the NJO books but one! ;)

Evil.

3. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    Up until now, everything about the common character was the same, or damn near in each book, it was like one author had been writing the whole time.

ahahahahhahahahhahahhahah!!!! oh, i needed that one.
    oh wait... were you serious?
    imho - the characters were mutilated in most of the books. particularly luke and mara. and in "courtship" well, don't even get me started on what a horrendous job they did with leia.

i agree with "crystal star" though. i think most of us don't acknowledge its existence. crystal what?

4. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    well, what i meant Jedi_Sha, is that they weren't as horrendously portrayed as they were in The Crystal Star. I haven't started the NJO yet, but, so far, it sounds like some people hate it...a lot.

and i almost bought the courtship of princess leia today...but, bought Wraith Squadron instead :p

i havent read too much EU, but im climbing the ladder :D this book has made me fall a few steps is all :p

5. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    "i havent read too much EU, but im climbing the ladder this book has made me fall a few steps is all "

Don't let the Crystal Star ruin your enjoyment of the EU man,I've heard it's one of the least poplular EU books out there.There are tons of books you'll enjoy more than that one. :)

Btw,the only EU book I've ever read that I wasn't that crazy about was Rogue Planet. :)

6. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    The majority of the bantam line. The real huge exceptions were Bacta War, I,Jedi, and Hand of Thrawn.

wolf

7. Jaina313

Jaina313 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I did not like the Black Fleet Crisis books. They seemed rather insignificant and have basically always been dismissed as useless. Thinking back on it, I can barely remember what they were about, except Luke looking for his mom and the like...

I am not your average EU fan though, because I did like The Crystal Star. I believe I'd read quite a bit of the YJK before I read this, and I really liked seeing Jaina and her brothers be cool at such a young age. I agree that it isn't logical for Jaina to do some of the things she did at that age, but then again... think of all the things the Solo kids have grown up with. Think of who they were raised by.

I hope this does not become an anti-Crystal Star thread. There's plenty of those.

8. Darth-Bradius

Darth-Bradius Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2004
    MY GOD now wes in yet :p

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I actually rather liked The Crystal Star. Say what you will about the adults, the kids were CUTE.

I didn't like the BFC though.

Luke story: One wild goose chase, and uber moping Luke
    Lando story: Irrelevant, and I don't like Lando :p
    Leia story: Would have been interesting... if Leia wasn't so OOC I wanted to cry. She was acting so WEAK, that's nothing like her!

10. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I may not like all of the EU...but I believe in it...thus what I am about to say does not counteract my allegiance.

Crystal Star is not the worse...but it is on my short list of disliked books.

Tatooine Ghost was horrendously overwritten...I don't think that we needed to know that much about the sand.

I enjoyed the Black Fleet Crisis.

New Rebellion and Children of the Jedi...are the epitomy of black sheep of the EU family. They are horrendously written by an inferior writer (Hambly) who almost made me stop reading (considering I literally just started to read books). They are what I always thought of books...boring, sleep inducing piles of crap that would look better in ashes.

Starsaber is the only other book that I did not care for.

11. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    I really liked Crystal Star....
    ._.;

Maybe cause by that point, I was already a huge fan of the Solo kids, and loved seeing them in anything. Heh...
    yes, they're a little, erm, smart for five year olds (especially Jaina) but... I liked the kids' sections of that book. ^^;

actually, there weren't many EU books I didn't like... I tend to look at the positive and just forget anything I didn't like.
    But I didn't like the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy... couldn't even be bothered finishing it. ^^;;

12. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I don't Hate the NJO, i only dislike them! :p

Evil.

13. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Star Wars Science Adventures. Weirdest stuff I've ever read. little 12-year-old kid goes on adventures with 3p0, artoo, and some medical teaching droid in order to teach you about centrifical force, friction, etc. Not to mention the laws of physics don't seem to apply anywhere in star wars besides these books.

14. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I just pick up any NJO book, and you all might know why.

15. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    jedi_john_33: You made the right choice. Aaron Allston, IMHO writes some of the best EU. :cool:

Most of the BFC was bad. The only parts I liked were the battle sequences, and Chewbacca FINALLY getting the spotlight.

Crystal Star is just too weird for me, it lacks the SW 'feel'. The New Rebellion had everyone so horribly OOC I almost didn't read it. CotJ was okay for me, until the end. That it spawned Darksaber and PoT compouned upon my dislike.

And don't even get me started on the NJO. :p

16. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    ^ BFC had Lando. Anything with the biggest pimp in the galaxy=win.

wolf

17. Jedi-Tahiri-Veila

Jedi-Tahiri-Veila Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2003
    At the risk of all the many anti- NJO groups (in all their various forms :p) hunting me down, I liked most of the NJO, except for Destiny's Way (even when something was happening, I was oblivious to it, and had to flip back several times - definitely one of the most boring books I've read). Bear in mind, I'm going off of writing style here - there were a few events that I didn't particularly care for, but I'm not going there.

I really didn't like what Barbara Hambly wrote for the EU. I've read other novels by her, and they're great. I suppose it's just Star Wars.

And, of course, the Black Fleet Crisis. *shudders* Most of what's to say has been said, so I won't repeat. :)

And yes, I even liked The Crystal Star and Courtship of Princess Leia. Go figure, eh?

18. Vorquellyn

Vorquellyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    The only one of the NJO that I didn't like was Star by Star. That's because I don't like the author's style.

The ones that I really don't like are the ones that have anything to do with Barbara Hambly and KJA. Especially KJA. His writing is just horrific. I will admit that I am biased by his attempts at Dune.

19. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Off the top of my head:

Hero's Trial
    Jedi Eclipse
    Rebirth
    Dark Journey
    Rebel Stand
    Traitor
    Remnant
    Refugee
    Reunion
    The Unifying Force

And those are just the NJO books that I hated! :eek:

20. JediPirate

JediPirate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2004
    I thought Agents of Chaos was pretty boring. It almost made me stop at that point in the NJO.

21. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    i didn't like a lot of the njo. i read it just because it was star wars. i also disliked bfc and crystal star.
    however, the only sw book i truly hated was cotj. i finished reading it and had no clue what had happened. i still don't understand what happened in it. just that it had some of the worst oc ever created. *shudders*

22. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    ^ Waru is the meaning of my life. :)

wolf

23. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I like the NJO so far. I am on Dark Journey, which I heard sucked, but I think it is ok. I am only halfway done though, so it could get worse.

But, I didn't like New Rebellion.

24. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    New Rebellion bored me... as did CotJ... I don't think I actually read either of those properly, so I'll need to try again some time.

As for DJ being a bad NJO book... I liked it. ^^;
    Could be cause I'm a Jaina fan, and Kyp fan, and Ani's funeral was in it. ;_;
    But still, I thought it was good. :p

25. Runt_Ekwesh_6

Runt_Ekwesh_6 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    The ones that I really don't like are the ones that have anything to do with Barbara Hambly and KJA. Especially KJA. His writing is just horrific.

Vorquellyn, I couldn't agree more.

I've tried reading some of the books by KJ Anderson and I just couldn't do it. When I was reading the Jedi Academy Trilogy I just skipped over every part with Admiral Dalla (I might have spelled that wrong but I don't care). I could go on and on about those books but I won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.