EU Books you didn't particularly like.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jedi_john_33, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Shouldn't this go in Lit? :confused: I didn't like anything by Lucano and Zahn, except Zahn's Insider stories.
  2. Handmaiden_Rabe Force Ghost

star 5
    Personally, I loved The Crystal Star. I've tried to read Hambly before, but I just couldn't get into it. I really want to read Rebel Dream, Rebel Stand and Dark Journey, so would you guys mind telling me about those? And as soon as I finish the Force Heretic trilogy, I'm picking up Rogue Sqaudron. And I was wondering, is Jaina in those? :confused:

Cattie
  3. DarthShenobi Jedi Master

star 2
    I haven't read a lot of the EU, only the Thrawn Trilogy and NJO. And I don't really care what other people say about it, I loved NJO. Especially Traitor. IMO It was definitely the best book I've read.

I liked the Thrawn trilogy but it seemed to go a little slow...maybe it's cause I was only 11. :p

I didn't really like Agents of Chaos, I stopped reading NJO for about a while cause I thought the rest of the series would be like them.
  4. JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I liked most of the NJO books except for a couple in the beginning and a few at the end. I like most EU books when written by the correct author. Even in some of the best books I shudder at what they do to some of the characters.
  5. Barriss_Rocks Jedi Knight

star 2
    I literally had to force myself to finish "Planet of Twilight" and "Children of the Jedi."
  6. Thanos6 Jedi Master

star 4
    The Crystal Star
    Han Solo's Revenge
    Children Of The Jedi
    Darksaber
    Planet Of Twilight
    Dark Journey
  7. CanaceErinn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Planet of Twilight
    Rogue Planet
    Black Fleet Crisis
    Vector Prime
  8. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
  9. HanSolOKniser3 Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought that Cestus Deception was, like, totally lame. It's the only SW book that I almost chose not to finish.

[face_peace]
    :)
    [face_monkey]

10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
  11. Saturniia Jedi Knight

star 2
    Umm... haven't read most of the EU, but I dislike NJO except for:
    Vector Prime (Okay, I hated what happened, but I can see why it was important)
    Traitor
    and some of the language in Dark Journey

I read the YJK, and liked it (maybe partly because I was just a kid myself at the time). I read Crystal Star when I was a kid, and liked it. I just hop around in the EU, I guess.
  12. -RebelScum- Force Ghost

star 6
    Crystal Star, Rogue Planet, Planet of Twilight, Children of Jedi
  13. Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I got over the NJO series really quickly, but for some reason I kept reading, God help me. It was like a train wreck!

The Black Fleet Crisis was also terrible. I hated the whole idea of Luke becoming a hermit. It just seemed totally out of character.

And if I heard one more reference to Jacen and Jaina's brandy-brown eyes in the YJK series, I thought I was going to go postal.

Other than that, they've all been pretty good! I didn't really mind Crystal Star so much, it just seemed like too easy a read.
  14. Aquarius_1977 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Courtship of Princess Leia was just a mess. I have never seen characters I love so mutilated.

The Black Fleet Crisis books were also terrible. That author had a decent grip on Han, but I got tired of thinking, "...but Leia's not stupid!!" any time she had to make a decision or didn't see through the people or the scams she was facing.

These books made me give up on the EU completely for a while, but Tatooine Ghost restored my faith.
  15. Nur_Ab_Sal Jedi Knight

star 2
    Definitively biggest crap I've ever read was Thrawn Trilogy by terribly overrated Timothy Zahn. Next is
    Michael Stackpole with his X-Wing series. Rest is wonderful (Shatterpoint Jay!) or can be tolerated.
  16. Geith_Jiseo Jedi Knight

star 3
    So far, I've only read up to Vector Prime (I will eventually get through the whole NJO, so help me!). For now, my least favorite EU books would have to be:

1. The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy: An utter snoozefest. I knew from the beginning that Luke was not going to find his mother, thus killing all interest in that subplot, and Akanah gets my vote for Worst EU Character Ever.

2. The Crystal Star: I like the parts involving the Solo kids. Everything else...blech. Worst villain ever, and worst characterization of Luke ever (like the real Luke would ever accuse Han of cheating on his wife. Yeah, right).

3. The Glove of Darth Vader series. I read these books when I was ten, and even then, I knew they sucked.

4. Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

5. Vision of the Future. Completely ruined the characters of Luke and Mara. I was especially disappointed when Luke proposed to Mara. Zero buildup, and zero payoff.

17. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    Anything by Zahn/Stackpole/Allston has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
  18. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Hated 'Crystal Star' and also 'Planet of the Twilight'.....
  19. SPARKSIII Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm a newbie. I don't have a literary background so I'm just expressing my feelings on just impressions of just a few authors. 1) Timothy Zahn's The Thrawn trilogy? I hope I got that right. Well, anyway, the Admiral Thrawn character to me was not something I felt is something that felt not of Star Wars. Including Mara Jade. Too derivative of Han Solo/Skywalker. I am not of fan of this creation. 2) Alan Dean Foster's The Approaching Storm: ADF has a style of writing that I find increasingly ANNOYING AND IRRITATING! his continaul usage of broken down alien speech! I think Jar Jar Binks and Tooqui should have a verbal bout to see who would win! Also, those post Jedi spin offs I am tired of the usage of imperial stormtroopers and lame counterparts that were best left in that era. These authors NEED to stop using x-wings, tie-fighters, star destroyers or their generic counterparts and come up with something entirely new and or different. EPIII is showing the way. Why can't these authors do the same. I'm SICK AND TIRED OF ANOTHER rogue Han Solo type. It's played out!!!
  20. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The Galaxy of Fear novels always made me role the eyes a bit, although to be fair they were aimed at a young audience and don't have to be considered at the forefront of canonical importance.

GODV as strict literature is horrible, and I've had friends in university who could cobble together a better story from the SW franchise: in fact, the FanFiction forum here is full of such examples. But that said, GODV is responsible for Moffel(TM), and as such, is a centrepiece of EU literature. ;)

I was never a big rap of the YJK series either, but that's more because of an aversion to KJA's writing style.

Then again, one of my favourite trilogies was the Black Fleet Crisis, which has been widely panned so far in this thread, so my opinion might not count for much. :p
  21. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, I'm not sure why people keep trashing the BFC. I liked it. It was very much in the vien of the NJO, very dark.I agree with your thoughs on GOVD. It had the potential to be actually quite a cool story, but it was so badly written, and by people who knew virtually NOTHING about Star Wars that it ended up being a total joke.
  22. Selina_Moonfire Jedi Knight

star 1
  23. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't really, agree with that. I though that the JAT was good and Darksaber was so-so and would have been much better if it hadn't had the near destruction of Admiral Gilad Pelleaon as character, along with the totally pointless death of Crix Madine. I mean Pelleaon, just randomly decides to throw in with Daala and Madine get taken out by the HUTTS, come on.
  24. Jedi_Master_Gollum Jedi Master

star 2
    I have to begin by saying that The Crystal Star was the WORST SW book I've ever read, except for The Glove of Darth Vader which doesn't count because it was written for, like, 6 year olds. But beyond that, the books I dislike are: everything except Zahn and the X-wing books. I think Stackpole is really smart to center around a minor character and lots of new ones, because then nobody can accuse him of messing up already established characters, when everyone has his/her own interpretation of them. And Zahn is just generally awesome. Thrawn=Holy cow. Plus his Conqueror Trilogy (non-SW) is good, too. Beyond that, I liked KJA back in junior high when Star Wars was the only sci-fi I'd ever read...then I read some GOOD sci-fi, and KJA just seemed so inadequate after that.
  25. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Planet of Twilight took 2 weeks to finish. Considering my average time is 2 days, that's an indication of what I thought of it.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.