main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NateTheGreat, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    I have never really gotten into the EU, but I would like to begin. What books do you folks recommend for reading? Any that really stand out? I've heard Shadows of the Empire is good.

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Well, it's a matter of personal taste, but Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command) is probably the best place to start. They're also among the best.

My personal favorite is the X-Wing series by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

3. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    In the Bantam Novels: anything by Timothy Zahn, Mike Stackpole, and Aaron Allston.

NJO: Vector Prime, Dark Tide Duology, Star by Star, Traitor, and possibly Destiny's Way. Oh, and after they come out, Final Prophecy and Unifying Force.

Clone Wars: Shatterpoint

Recent EU: Tatooine Ghost and Survivor's Quest ( Feb. '04)

4. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I'd advise against reading any of the New Jedi Order (NJO) until you're a bit more familiar with the charactors that are introduced in the Bantam books (which all take place before the NJO).

I'm not sure, but to me it seems that there are so many charactors to know that you'd be lost without being well read.

I also recommend the Zahn Trilogy.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Zahn Trilogy, or the first 7 X-Wing novels.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Read them all in chronological order.

7. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I'd recommend the Thrawn trilogy by Zahn. It was the first set of EU novels written, and are a great introduction into the Star Wars Expanded Universe :)

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Zahn's trilogy was not the first set of EU novels, not by a long shot.

9. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I am doing just that, Bib. I am currently on Mandalorian Armour.

10. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    if you've got Shadows of the Empire, read it.. it's good and fun, although not as deep as some of the other works. it's a good start since you are already familiar with most of the cast and setting as it takes place between ESB and ROTJ, with a few new heroes and villains.

hmmm... what would be the best book for someone to start into the EU, if they were most into the prequel era?
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    Cloak of Deception
    The Approaching Storm
    Shatterpoint
    ???

11. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    Bib: Fine, fine, the first that was set after ROTJ.

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Why do folks continue to think TTT was the first set of EU novels? And why do they think they were the first post RoTJ novels? February 1978, the first purely EU novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, was released. And according to my copy, which is from the ninth printing released in August of that year, it came out in hardcover, being perhaps the first hardcover SW book. April of '78 was the first paperback printing. One year after the first paperback printing of SotME (April 1979), Han Solo at Star's End came out. November of '79 saw Han Solo's Revenge. And the final book of the original Han Solo trilogy, Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, was released in 1980. May 25, 1983 saw the release of Return of the Jedi to movie theaters and July, October, and December each saw the release of a different book in the Lando Calrissian Adventures (Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu in July, Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon in October, and Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka in December). It would be June 1991 before Zahn ever had a SW book released, by which time he was neither the first to write in the EU nor the first to have an EU book released after RoTJ. He was merely among the first of the 1990s.

13. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    But it was the first one set CHRONOLOGICALLY after RotJ. Which is what I think he was saying.

14. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    Thanks you, Fettster :)

15. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Start with the first three Timothy Zahn novels (Heir, Rising, Command)...they're probably the best intro to the post-Jedi SW universe out there, plus they don't have as much of the retroactive backstory baggage that some of the later books would add.

Great stuff.

16. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
    i wonder if its realy wrong and sad that iv read almost all of the EU books except the Thrawn trilogy

17. jedimasterkipdurron

jedimasterkipdurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    DarthKurt yes that is really sad!

18. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    No, it's not sad in the least that you have not read TTT. From one perspective it lets you have "new" EU material to read. From another it means you don't have to deal with uber villian for whom it is a surprise the heros could even defeat.

19. LordExar

LordExar Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2003
    I read the Jedi Apprentice 1-9, the Darth Maul-Shadow Hunter, the Rogue planet, the Paradise snare, the Hutt gambit, the Splinter of the Mind's eye, the Thrawn-trilogy, the Children of the Jedi, the Planet of twilight, the Crystal star, the New Rebellion, the Specter of the past, the Vision of the future, and from the New Jedi Order the Vector Prime, the Onslaught, the Ruin, the Hero's trial and the Jedi eclipse.
    I hate the NJO, I think it's a normal fantasy story, and it isn't Star Wars. Chewbacca's and Anakin Solo's death, the woods on Coruscant, Lord Nyax and much blood...

20. SoberJudge

SoberJudge Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Well, Knight, I preffered the "uber villain" to all the uber weapons in some of the other books.

I'd start with Shadows of the Empire or Heir to the Empire

21. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I agree LordExar. NJO Is NOT SW! It is a perversion of what SW used to be.

22. LordExar

LordExar Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2003
    Sorry. The NJO is a stupidity. I say that, too

23. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Or if you want to start at the very begining( I know they aren't books) Tales of the Jedi TPB, and the J vs. S TBP set up some stuff for other books.

24. Kyp_Jaina_Jag

Kyp_Jaina_Jag Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2002
    If you want to start from right after the OT, I would say 'Truce at Bakura' then 'Courtship of Princess Leia'. Jedi Academy trilogy is pretty necessary if you want to read the NJO, as is the Zahn trilogy and duology.

NJO is okay, but if you love SW, it just gives you something to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.