main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darth-skycrawler, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    This is not a thread where people debate whether EU is canon or not. In this thread people can debate if they feel that the EU should be part of the saga. Please to do not debate anything to do with canon.

I would like it if people could post heir ideas about if they would like EU to 'canon' and why they feel this way.

If you feel that the EU shouldnot be part of the saga then post your reasons why or wha you would change to make it fit better. Do not give the reason that the writers are Haks.

I will start this of by saying I would not want the EU to be canon though I really like the Solo trilogy and some of the bantam books. The Solo trilogy really helps show why han comes across as cold in the start but also shows his soft side. also like the Corellian trilogy but I would change the importance of the saga by making the Station only be albe to harm the Corellian ector.

Things that I personally would change in the EU is to make Palpatine not come back. This to me undermines Anakin as the chosen one. I don't like the idea of Boba Fett coming back either because apparently Lucas has said that he will do something in the prequels to make us hate him. With just the OT I feel that his return may have been cool and helps show what a badass he is to survive the Sallac. People would watch ROTJ and say something like hat Fett guy was cool shame he died such a crapy death good thing that he survives it.

The Pt now will show him do something really evil maybe killing Jedi kids. Then when we see ROtj they will say tat Fett was a real ******* shame he manages to get out.

I would then limit the number of coflicts and get rid of the whole Vong thing. I would als bannish the Yslameri. There would b no more super weapons and the people who turned to the darkside would never turn back.

Luke would train a padawan ad find out about his family. Leia wuld becme a Jedi and have 1 child with Han who would be trained from birth. Lando wuld remain with the rebellion
    become important figures in the military alongside Han. There would be few major squabbles but generally people would live happily. Has anyone esle got any thoughts

2. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    It's spelled "canon" not "cannon." ;)

3. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    i think anyone who posts in this forum would argue that EU is cannon...if you can get some movie forum people in here it should be interesting though... :)

4. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    I don't understand what you're asking us to debate. Questioning whether the EU should be part of the sage is indeed questioning the part it plays in canon.

5. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    ask Genghis or Val, Im just here to be rediculas.

6. darth-skycrawler

Aug 7, 2001
    Well I basically want to hear if people feel that the EU is consistent with the movies and if so why. For the people that feel it is not tey can give there reasons why they think that it does ot fit wit the movies and post ideas they have to make it fit better

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

BANG! BANG! BANG!

:::Shoots thread before it gets out of hand:::

8. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Yeah listen to Kier, these canon debates hurt my fealings!

9. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    and my feelings

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Canon debates are pointless. (I'm a strict movie is the only canon person) They go no where primarily because both sides of the arguement think that their belief is so very obvious.

11. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    OK, I'm totally confused and have questions:

1. What does Canon mean?
    2. Why is everybody always debating it?

That'll do for now.

12. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Canon is sort of...the final say. What is "real" in the world of fantasy. Movie purists claim that the books contradict the movies too much, and don't keep with the tone, and that the movies are the real saga, books are just add-ons. That's what I subscribe to.

However, as I understand it, EU-ers claim that their stories are every bit as integral to the story as the movies are, and some extremists I've seen actually claim they should take precedence over the movies.

13. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Most of the stories are more intimate than the movies, but I can name at least 20 that are on the same epic scale and affect the whole galaxy in some way.

The movies are just primarily about Anakin Skywalker and the fall of the Republic...yet this Galactic Empire which replaced it only existed for about 24 years out of the Republic's 25,000 year history. Imagine the stories that happened within those times.

14. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I'd have to respectfully disagree with you, there Sturm. I feel the movies are much more intimate. We get to know the characters very well for only 6 stories, and I feel closer to them than most EU characters. I think it is impossible for the EU to be more intimate primarily because of the number of characters in it.

15. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well definition of intimate he is using I think is the way one gets into someones thoughts and feelings. Hearing and seeing things that others around them don't see or hear.

This is something the movies don't allow, because we are mostly seeing it from an action point of view rather than mental point of view.

Then again his definition of intimate might be something different.

There are different forms of intimacy, no telling which one he is going by.

16. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

...Must...overcome urge...to...get...involved...

17. Jedi_Knight_James

Jedi_Knight_James Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2001
    Of course it canon! I mean, George Lucas gets the final say in it right? So its not liked they'll come up with a sequel trilogy where Han and Leia didn't get married, and the Yuuzhan Vong never invaded! EU is just filling in what we don't see in the movies: in between, before, after, stuff like that. People who may want to argue this just see it as left up to them to imagine how everything came about and ended up. Whereas we EU supporters (I support EU and Movies) have it put down in a set of "canon" stories: books, comics, games, etc.

18. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Down, Kier, down. We need a tranquilezer over here.

Ok, now that I'm over that senseless bit of a joke, lets get down to buisness. It's now pointless to debate if the EU belongs or not, or if it's canon or not. Lucas has recgonized the EU before in a few sources (the one that always springs to my mind is his intro in the 90s rerelease of SotME). And as has been pointed out, LFL has said that the EU is canon. No need for any debates.

19. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    EU fills in all the plot holes left at the end of ROTJ and all the plot holes before TPM. I mean, with the SITH without EU ppl would wonder why there are so many Jedi and why the SITH have to hide. The TPM Noverlisation does go into more detail than the movie but it lacks any discernable depth. Also with the end of ROTJ a lot of strings are left untied like how Leia deals with her new found heritage (TaB), if Leia and Han are going to get married (COPL) etc....

20. darth-skycrawler

Aug 7, 2001
    Ok since peope feel that it is canon then what changes would you make to the story so that it fits in better. This may just be as simple as saying that you wanted han and leia to have been married sooner.

Since I don't want this to turn into a Canon debate you can discuss things that you want changed in the moviesor added as well. If I was to change anything in the movies I would add Palpatine in a New Hope and I would have the rebels talk to Luke about his legendary father.

SO feel free then to discuss tings that you think should be tweaked,removed or added in both the films and the EU.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  22. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Read the novelization to ANH. Red Leader (Blue Leader in the book) mentions to Luke that he met Anakin. He then tells him that if he's at least half the pilot his old man was, then he should do pretty well in the upcoming battle.

23. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    The EU should be cannon. It is already cannon so there isn't no debate, but it should be part of the Star Wars saga.

24. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Not cannon, canon. A cannon is a war weapon, canon (in this case) is pretty much everything is confirmed as happening or exsisting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.