main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU. Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Terranix, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    Redundant, oh so redundant, but just as a final nail to the coffin, how many quotes are you able to find that define the EU as being canon?

Exact quotes escape me.

2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Not another one! :eek:

Here we go again: Pandora's box has been opened once more... :(

3. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    the only way it can be canon is if George Lucas HIMSELF wrote the book or if he some how incorporates it in the next 2 Movies. other than that the EU is just fanFics.

4. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    the only way it can be canon is if George Lucas HIMSELF wrote the book or if he some how incorporates it in the next 2 Movies. other than that the EU is just fanFics.

LOL. Yeah, sure. And if someone takes a photo of you, he steals your soul, right?

Kam

5. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Nice shot, Kam! LOL! [face_laugh]

6. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    we need an admin to shut this down....

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "the only way it can be canon is if George Lucas HIMSELF wrote the book or if he some how incorporates it in the next 2 Movies. other than that the EU is just fanFics."

Wrongo bucko.

webster:

Canon

[Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard] a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture b : the authentic works of a writer c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>

Fanfic is something created by unofficial source. By definition fanfic is something not written by a corporation but by the common folk.

If something is owned by LFL, copyright law dictates that it belongs to lucas, and makes hims money. Therefore it can't be fanfic

If people were making money off of fanfic(which only applys to unofficial stuff made by fans), LFL would sue there butts off. But official sanctioned EU owned by LFL, can't by sued because lucas already owns it and allows it to exist.

8. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    There's no doubt in my mind it was canon, yeesh... :p

I only wanted a quote or two. But I've got my own now. Thanks for the help. :D

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    terranix I can't get you the exact quotes, but canon was discussed in several sources, Dave Land, and Allan kausch in the beggining of tales 6 I think.

A bit in the "secrets of shadows of the empire"

In several issues of gamer magazine, I think was in 3 or 4, or 6 or 7, maybe all 4.

As well as some comments by dave land on the Dark Horse message boards and on these boards as well, check through his previous posts to find them, maybe.

As well sansweet calling things quasi-canon, in the star wars encyclapedia.

maybe a few more sources.

10. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    Thanks.

I think that's the first time someone's used my name when addressing me. :D

11. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

You know, Jedi Merkurian already did this.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I want to bring up a quote about fanfic.

"Fan fiction is the way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."

Henry Jenkins
    Director of Media Studies
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

It's funny, but Sanctioned EU, can't be fanfic by definition.

But many movie purists consider it fanfic, it means that they are are saying that lucas has caused damage to his contempory myths and the EU fixes those problems. They would be stating the importance and need for the EU, and why it's a good thing.

Maybe fanfic isn't the word movie purists should use, cause it proves our point, ;).

Though since EU can't be fanfic by definition cause it's owned by the "corporation". Then it is sanctioned canon/continuity.

Fanfic has to be created by common public to be fanfic.

13. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>

I used that exact same citation earlier today, over in the fanfiction writers resource forum! :eek:
    Great minds think alike; fools never differ.

Here?s what I said:

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

3 [Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard] a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture b : the authentic works of a writer c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>

The EU is definitely c, but it is debatably whether or not is a, if we substitute the words ?The definitive continuation of Star Wars? for Holy Scripture. Being liberal minded on the issue, I believe that as it fills c, that it is permissible to consider the EU canon.

14. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    Reasoned, well phrased & spoken arguments aside, what escapes me is not why they won't accept it, but how they CAN'T accept it.

To me it's inconcievable that such a thing can simply be ignored or digarded as having not happened, being out of the ''reality'' of what happened in Star Wars. It just seems a bit ridiculous. Childish, even.

I mean, if not the continuation of the saga, what the Hell IS the EU? I don't buy into all that ''what if'' otherworld crap. If you try to think of it from someone who isn't a ''hardcore'' fan, it must all seem very stupid.

15. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Not only is the EU defined as canon, but Lucasfilm says it is. I would think that they are the primary source of official information, aside from Lucas, who hasn't said a word on the subject.

Of course, if I said this in a movie forum, it would be time for a Purist to tiredly roll out the TV Guide quote that means absolutely nothing. [face_plain]

16. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Well, since purists like to attempt to define what the rules for considering what is canon, they can haul out whatever they want as evidence. It however, doesn't change anything. Purits want Lucas to read every damn thing that comes out in relation to Star Wars, regardless of how unfeasable that is, I haven't done it and I don't make movies and run several corporations. So with that caveat, there is no way Lucas to produce the answer that both groups want.

Both factions want a definitive answer from the man in flannel plaid, but for my money, I think as close as we're going to get on the subject is the Splinter of Mind's Eye forward by Lucas.

Ultimately, though, what would change if Lucas came out and said it's all canon or none of the Expanded Universe is canon? Well, aside from a month or two of gloating from each side depending on how it went, nothing would change. We would still love the Expanded Universe and the purists would still love the movies.

A difference that makes no difference is no difference. In other words, nothing would change at all.

None of Star Trek is canon (save for the series and movies), yet the fans can still find a common ground between the series, movies, novels and games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.