main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU Defense Force - Home Base

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ganner, Oct 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    That is my final word for the night, PM me if you have questions or comments or additions to what I posted. I recommend contacting me if you agree with my view...

Peace to you all, and to all a mellow night.

Black Lead out.

2. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    black lead has the right idea. we cant sit back and play nice while we are being kicked around. they started this and we are going to end it!!!!

3. Darth-Seminole

Darth-Seminole Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2000
    *The Anti Christ once again treads upon hallowed ground*

____________________________________________________________________________
    "The idea may well have been spawned from good intentions, but it seems likely to invite a flame war."

"
    Only by those people who wish to start one. However, if you _DID_ actually read our intro in this thread, you will see that the EU Defense Force would do no such thing. However, the EU-bashers have as you've pointed out done just that in the past."

Don't patronize me, Genghis. I understood Ganner's mission statement quite well.

However, Bane and Jedi Lord seem to feel that the EU Squad at the moment is failing in its mission and appear to wish to fight fire with fire as indicated in the following posts:

Lord Bane: "After reading the posts of Darth Gato and those by Darth Holliday, jewlmc and others, I have come to believe we are in fact failing in our mission. We have not succeeded in getting our point across, we have not succeeded in stopping ridicule, and yet we persist in this course of defense, defense, defense."

Jedi Lord: "black lead has the right idea. we cant sit back and play nice while we are being kicked around. they started this and we are going to end it!!!!

They have been and will continue to be ridiculed. However there is this commandment from the Commodore himself:

3) NO FLAMING of others in defense of the EU. Be able to intelligently defend your views while maintaining a sense of dignity and respect. If you create a bad image of yourself while performing squadron duties, you make the rest of us look bad. Remaining CALM during a mission is the best 'energy sheild' you can have against another's antagonism

There is that problem of free will. When Bane and Jedi Lord are subjected to further humiliation- a virtual certainty- are they going to obey EU Squad regulations or will they give in to their instincts?

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Darth Seminole infers he's the Antichrist...
    "*The Anti Christ once again treads upon hallowed ground*"

Hey, if you say so. There, see we CAN agree - it's not that hard.

"Don 't patronize me, Genghis."

:)

"I understood Ganner's mission statement quite well."

Then you should've known that your statement had absolutely no merit when applied to the EU Defense Force as an "institution."

"However, Bane and Jedi Lord seem to feel that the EU Squad at the moment is failing in its mission and appear to wish to fight fire with fire as indicated in the following posts..."

They have the right to feel that way. Or now are you challenging that right? The rules of this member-created organization do not supercede the rules of TF.N's policy agreement. However, the point remains that as an institution, the EUDF will not and does not currently follow such behavior. Perhaps a better forum for your problems with specific people would be to send them a private message instead of trying to incorrectly blanket the EUDF as inciting flame wars.

"They have been and will continue to be ridiculed."

Ok, so you're now proving you're a hypocrite. You try to blame some people for flaming, yet allow past and future flames by others as acceptable.

"However there is this commandment from the Commodore himself:

3) NO FLAMING of others in defense of the EU..."

That's correct. However, no where do our regulations limit flaming when in defense of attacks made against ones person. The people who flamed and ridiculed some of our EUDF members did just that - attacking them personally. Since they should've been banned for such actions, but weren't, means that the people who were attacked have to at least take even a minimum defense.

"There is that problem of free will."

Yes, perhaps someone such as yourself may see free will as a problem.

"When Bane and Jedi Lord are subjected to further humiliation- a virtual certainty- are they going to obey EU Squad regulations or will they give in to their instincts?"

It's "EU Defense Force" - you're referring to an older, topic the "EU Squadron" which had its own thread. Perhaps if you read the introduction on this thread, you would know that this is the "EU Defense Force." If you wish to talk about the EU Squadron, please post your comments in an appropriate place. But, lest you accuse me of not addressing your question - the point stands that our regulations do not prohibit people from defending against personal flames against them.

5. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    Well, Lord Bane and JediLord, when you joined up, you agreed that flames were not the way to argue our POV. I'm not sure why the unmoving views of a handful of known "bashers" would sway you towards this kind of action. Coming in, I knew this would never be an easy battle. I say we need some time to step back from the conflict, take stock in the things we've accomlished, and realize that not everyone or everything is going to change immediately, if at all. Now if you feel differently, I think you should adjust your approach vector.

I ask that you keep the flames off of the boards, at least. PM them. Or, if nothing else, you make clear that you are not flaming in the name of the EUDF.

6. TheB5Fan

TheB5Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 1999
    "After reading the posts of Darth Gato and those by Darth Holliday, jewlmc and others, I have come to believe we are in fact failing in our mission. We have not succeeded in getting our point across, we have not succeeded in stopping ridicule, and yet we persist in this course of defense, defense, defense."

Maybe you should allow ppl to have their own opinions for once

7. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    What B5 said. Plus, if you can't foster change of their opinion, and you can't get them to see that their approach to expressing their opinion is flaming, alert an admin and let them do their job. We are to defend the EU and its supporters from erroneous claims and unfair treatment, but not to flame the flamers and make things worse for admins. If one or more JCers will not stop flaming once you've asked repeatedly, don't get sucked into the flames, call the fire department and let the admins cool them off.

8. TheB5Fan

TheB5Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 1999
    Keep poking them with your EU ideals and your just gonna piss them off eventually. Then comes the flames

9. Rynobot

Rynobot Jedi Master star 1

Aug 16, 2000
    Black Seven signing in.

Looks like missed quite a bit last night.

10. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    Yes, you have missed a lot, like my promotion to Lieutenant. But that was yesterday, we need to keep patrolling the forums.

11. GrandAdmiralCaesar

GrandAdmiralCaesar Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2000
    We can't violate our own rules just because we haven't won a few battles. The force hasn't been around long enough to get the experience it needs to win battles. Give it time and peace will prevail, patience is the key. Ghandi, Mandella, MLK,Jr. these people all got there point across and won using peace, but it took them time. So just be paient and practice with each other if you have to. But I gurantee that going back and flaming those who flame you won't work, you don't fight fire with fire. In the end flaming them will alienate them more from our mission.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    G-7 checking in again.

13. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I'd like to warn about sending flames via private messages. You can be banned for it, if it can be proved to an admin. Respond to personal attacks, but stay calm. People go into a debate expecting the person arguing with them to be a flaming, bashing, illiterate lunatic (and I use that term to refer to all carbon based, bipedal, oxygen breathing human beings, including EU fans). The farther you stray from that stereotype, the more their overconfidence will work against them.

14. Rynobot

Rynobot Jedi Master star 1

Aug 16, 2000
    What are you trying tell us, that we should all go on a hunger strike untill they finally stop.

Corporal Rynobot signing in.

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Grand Admiral Caesar...
    "Give it time and peace will prevail, patience is the key. Ghandi, Mandella, MLK,Jr. these people all got there point across and won using peace, but it took them time."

I should note that Luke Skywalker and Wedge (our Rogue Squadron ideological Star Wars counterparts) got their points across as well and won...using actions not so peaceful... and it took a lot less time than Gandhi, Mandella and MLK Jr. Compare Luke's couple of weeks on the job versus MLK's job still in progress after decades. Just another view on the EUDF. Personally, I'm all for whacking a few "Death Stars" first to get our point across. However, I don't want anyone to get the impression that "whacking Death Stars" should equate with flaming anyone.

16. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    The unfortunate part is, our opinion will never be recognized by everyone. Even I know that. We can never win the opposing hard liners over just like they can never sway me from thinking EU belongs in the Star Wars Saga as a quite-possible addition.

The admins are not going to stop this. Vertical threatened the Exploited Universe thread, I PMed him to agree with his call and say, "Let it have a new life in FanFiction." I have been accomodating. I have not gone into that thread and posted harsh responses. I have not flamed or attacked in any other thread.

But I refuse to stand by and watch people who like to read getting tossed about by those who happen to disagree with a few printed words. I feel it is a person's right to avenge a wrong committed against him/her. In this case, send a PM, while not using foul language or HUGELY derogative terms, to express your view in a more straighforward way. The admins will not ban someone for defending themselves against a flame, or else soooo many people would find themselves banned, myself and probably many of you included.

I feel the two amendments should be passed to show we are not afraid to take on the problem and give a little guff back. And it appears others agree with me. I consider myself one of the earliest to join this defense force/squadron and I have been waging this "war" for quite sometime now, and peaceful methods have failed as much as violent approaches. We need to use an "Aggressive Defense" or like the Chiss "Expantionistic Defense". Use force if met by force. Repeat Lucas' message in front of "Splinter..." as our main weapon because it does valididate our point of the EU being in the Star Wars mythos, though not THE continuation, rather A continuation with his blessing.

That is all, I'll be gone for a few hours or more, back later this afternoon.

Black Lead Out.

17. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't think we've really lost any battles. In the "Evil Darksider speculation thread", the good arguments (the ones that weren't attacking the other person) were, IMO, presented by the EUDF. Currently, it seems that EU bashing is trendy in the prequel forums. We may not be convincing those arguing against us, but somewhere, there may be a newbie lurker who is neutral, reads the thread, and agrees with us.

18. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    i have not flamed nor will i flame anyone. but we need to be more assertive and let these people know we are here to defend what we love and they cant bash it just b/c they cant appreciate the written word.

19. ShouldHaveKnownIt

ShouldHaveKnownIt Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2000
    red 3 signing in.

you all can imagine what happened.... at least i think so.

20. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Standing back a little from this... what *is* this Darth doing in this thread? We don't try to start discussions in the "Exploited Universe" thread... so shouldn't we just shift the discussion into a new thread?

(Fuzz out)

- The Imperial Ewok

21. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
  22. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    anyone heard of any enemy activity? if so, report it here so we can respond properly.

23. neimoidian_85

Dec 30, 1999
    Actually, I should prolly be a civilian recon guy. I'm not a good fight, I lose my temper to quickly.

24. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    ok, mm. you alert us to threads that need our attention. sound, ok?

25. neimoidian_85

Dec 30, 1999
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1154490&page=4

This is the only thing 'close' to being violent.

100th post of this thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.