main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN EU Discussion Thread v. 2 - LOTF, KotOR, Dark Times, Rebellion, Legacy and more! (Spoilers!!!)

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Invincible cover:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/img/20071205_bg.jpg]

SRSLY? o_O And when did Jaina become a major character?

2. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Where is her Mando armor and jetpack? :confused:

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I think people had been saying she would be the "invincible" one for awhile now. Which means she's the one that takes Jacen down. After reading Fury, I'm like, "go for it, girlfriend." Everyone else is standing around wringing their hands. :rolleyes: I don't mind her being the hero(ine) of the series, but she better be something than just an uber jedi.

4. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Guess we're finally getting around to that Vong prophecy/theory/thingy from the NJO about the twins fighting each other.

I certainly HOPE it's Jaina that's "invincible." Much as I don't care to see Jacen redeemed, I sure hate it for Han & Leia.

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I think she'll redeem him. As much as that sucks. After this book, I'm like, "kill him and put him out of his crazy ass misery." You know how the books have an overarcing theme to the titles, I think Jaina will be "invincible" in the main sense, with maybe Luke, Ben, the Jedi or the Skywalkers as well as the GFFA in a lesser sense.

I'm actually okay with Boba Fett teaching her new tricks to whip his ass. I get tired of it always having to be a certain way, and then the writers tend to mess up because we've done this story seventeen million times. At least if she's doing it with help from Boba, there's a variation on the theme. *sigh* I'm kinda hoping Ben and Mirta will get a couple of pages in Revelations (not squeeing...okay, not totally, :p ) just to get him away from his having to pick Luke up all the time.

And for God's sake... if they put Luke back in the bunker sitting on the floor, I might have to throw the book again. I don't think Karen will do that, she's made him strong and she tends to not write him weak. But then Troy's got the last book... [face_plain]

6. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm not worried about Revelation, but with Troy writing Invincible? *shudders*

I'm ok with the Boba/Jaina storyline as well, but is it going to go anywhere after Revelation? Will Denning actually include any of it in Invincible?

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    If I had a guess, I'd say no. Saba will come along and teach her a better way.

What's sad is there's no "lol" after this post.

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I still say that Del-Rey and Charmin should team up and print these books on toilet paper. At least then we could give the LOTF series the treatment it truly deserves.

I'm just on Crapter... er... I mean Chapter 4.

9. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    If Luke Skywalker was too short to be a stormtrooper???

Then...

Isn't Lando too old to become a father? I mean, where did that come from (I know where it came from...but, maybe they want to give
    Han and Leia some ideas or something...I mean they need a son who will actually carry on the family name...Right?

I think I'm with Tim about the Toliet paper theory...

It's absolutely craptacular...

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And I have a theory about the Legacy of the Force symbol that I probably shouldn't share here at TF.N...

[image=http://blogs.starwars.com/static/img/image-selector/full/misc/43.jpg]

Just do me a favor- turn it upside down and take a look at it and tell me if you don't see Del-Rey doing you-know-what to our fandom.

11. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Goatse!!

(How the * did that end up getting known as goatse anyway?)

12. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    Offtopic, but it's in Fury (IIRC), so WT*. Does anyone think the following is one of the most intelligent assessments of the Jedi around:

The author discussion at the back of the book discusses how the Jedi are basically superweapons, so perhaps the no attachment rule, despite the "Waaaaa! No family!!!" reaction, was a very good idea idea indeed, because when you have Jedi trained without giving a * about whether they should be trained and/or are up to handling the responsibility, you get Anakin Skywalker, Kyp Durron, and Jacen Solo.

Ugh. Enough SW stuff.

//wiggles toes/

//drinks more vodka

//attempts to communicate warm and fuzzy feelings

Sorry, man. Had to remove the Forbidden letter. ;)

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    But it's going to make it difficult to discuss LOT*!

:p

I'm now on Crapter six. This is one book that won't be leaving the bathroom.

14. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    You guys might like this link LOL

http://www.jivemagazine.com/column.php?pid=3381

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I finished Fury.

[face_plain]

I feel like we should all be able to send this one back to Del-Rey for a full refund. This book was complete and total crap. And saying that hurts because I usually love Aaron Allston's work, but this book was complete and utter fodder. It felt forced and contrived. It's like we take a step forward in LOTF and then take six steps back. Every time I think we're going somewhere with this, they shoot themselves in the foot and completely undo any progress they made in a previous book. They kill characters for no good and meaningful purpose, and brain-damage everyone else to the point of sheer nonsense.

Really, this book made The Courtship of Princess Leia look good. And that's saying a heck of a lot. I only threw that book once. I threw this one no less than eight times.

Thankfully, I started reading Death Star. Three chapters in, and it feels like Star Wars again.

When is Del Rey going to learn that their best Star Wars lay within their one-shot books? These multi-book series haven't worked well for the franchise since Zahn's Thrawn trilogy and duology.

16. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Qui-Gon Tim

Del Rey will figure that out when we fans stop buying their books (which isn't going to happen because even if a significant number of us did that anyway there is enough
    of the rest of the world that will buy it just because it says STAR WARS on it)... (Otherwise why would there be 177 different versions of the same Darth Vader action
    figure)...

I agree that the one shots are better... Sometimes there is a glimmer of "Wow, that was really good"... but I still say that Lando should have said in full Danny Glover
    voice from Die Hard...

I mean they're having him have a baby at his age...his response would be "I'm too old for this expletive deleted

Buy, myself being just as bad as the next "Uber-geeky-I'll-buy-pretty-much-anything-Star-Wars" in the hopes that they did something right will buy the next book and
    read it hoping to catch a glimpse of our former fandom...

I liked Death Star...It was kind of neat seeing the whole thing from that perspective...

17. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    That is so totally me, too, BJ. I tell myself that I keep reading novels because I have an addictive personality and just can't quit cold turkey after 15 years....surely, it'll get better.... [face_praying] Remember how bad we felt during the NJO and that turned out okay....

Different subject:

LEGACY 18 = ZOMG!!! When I turned the page and saw Kol Skywalker standing there in all his Force ghost glory, Nicki heard me squeal all the way from Cordova. [face_laugh]

[face_love]

18. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
  19. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    It's about time! [face_dancing]

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I finally finished Death Star. That has got to be one of my top ten SW books. It really washed out the bad taste left in my mouth after the last installment of LOTF. What was amazing was its humanization of the individual facets of the Empire and their reaction to the actions of their government. Steve Perry and Michael Reeves have done it again. Those two should be writing the TV series. It was nice to feel that something actually added to and enhanced the GFFA for once instead of setting it back a full flight of steps.

I did throw the book, however, after I was done due to a few events that happened. No, nothing raped my fandom or childhood or anything, but those two have a way of drawing you in and breaking your heart, so to speak. It was like the end of the first Medstar book: I loved it, but certain events really upset me enough to throw the book when I was done with it.

21. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    KOTOR 3??? If the video game, then you'll hear me squeal all the way to Memphis. And beyond.

Gotta love those civilian contractors.

22. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    Not the video game (unfortunately). The 3rd KOTOR trade paperback is being released.

I finished the new Darth Bane novel during lunch today, and I really liked it. Apparently, the trick to getting something decent to good from Del Rey is for the book to be set in any time period other than post-ROTJ.

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Amen to that, Nicki!!!

Ben: [face_laugh]

Yep, one does indeed gotta love those civilian contractors. Is it true that the book really was inspired by the conversation from Clerks?

24. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    I finally received my KOTOR 3 and Dark Times 1 trade paperbacks from Books-A-Million last night. It only took 3 weeks. [face_frustrated]

I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but I skimmed them last night. Trace, you were right. I love the art in Dark Times. [face_love]

25. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    My Legacy thread co-host over in FFR said that Dark Times may be her new favorite comic. It is on my To Read list for this week.

Stiiiiiillll waiting on KOTOR 19-24 from TFAW. [face_frustrated]

Preview for Legacy 19 is up.

Okay, that? That is the face of a Skywalker on the edge... :eek:

(My man is scaring me. [face_worried] )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.