main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU is canon: Proof inside (Marvel stuff too)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RabidWolfe

RabidWolfe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 1999
    Genghis12 - as I play in an Irish band - only Guiness stout will do
    but, of course I don't drink, so you'll have to consume it all yourself -

anyway -

I hope they reconsider with SW tales - some stories are obviously non-canonical, but why can't "thank the maker" or the duel with the dark woman two parter be part of the continuity?

I like SW tales because it shows DH is finally capturing the fun that the Marvel comics had.

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "Because man, this is CANON we're talking about..."

Yes.... and Gamer says the Marvel comics that dosn't disrupt the movies or books or comics (with era icons) are canon. So:

-Books and comics and whatever with era icons are canon.
    -Marvel comics are canon if they don't dispute the movies and other canon things.

So, why can't the stories in Tales be like that? The stories that don't dispute canon things ARE canon themselves. But no, they all have to be.

Plus, if Gamer is true, than Dave Land is lieing when he says it was LFLs idea to put infinity icons on Tales. . .OR LFL dosn't know what it is doing and is allowing some things to be canon and others to not.

Thats all messed up.

3. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    The point is more or less moot. You'll notice that there hasn't really been a single major, or minor for that matter, continuity mistake in Tales yet. My guess is that no matter how liber LFL gets with continuity with this series, you'll still see it flowing with the rest of the universe pretty well. Most writers liketo do at least a little preliminary research when writing a story. And the ones that don't, tend to write about small, insignifigant things in the universe anyway. Like Nerf Herder.
    - Chas

4. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I know its moot. Thats what I am trying to say!

It is stupid!

5. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    I agree with you man! It's kinda silly. Regardless, we have good people working at LFL tring to make things work.
    - Chas

6. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    This may not be definitive proof that the EU is canon, but it certainly gives fuel to the argument that it is.

7. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I hope it is true. Damn, I hope so.

8. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    It doesn't really change too much for me. I've always considered Marvel canon, and thought there was enough evidence to support that theory already. I now am really hoping for a Marvel reprint series! With all new scenes!
    - Chas

9. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    The only thing I dont get is why anyone would be upset with Marvel being officially recognized as a part of the continuity. If anything all it is now is backstory so how is that hurting things for people?

I dont get it!

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Chas,

I agree with you 100%. There certainly was ample evidence to support it even prior to this complete confirmation.

11. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yeah, I ussually would agree with you, Dooka. But with the Tales thing, that just pisses me off. It is just plain stupid!

12. Muke_Skywalker

Dec 9, 2000
    So will Gamer be premeiring stuff for NJO like characters and such? Also if it introduces Marvel concepts would it also sort of preveiw them for the novels such as if the Sith speculation pans out and a Sith is introduced into the series and if it is the classic Marvel comics character Lumiya would she be premeired in Gamer and then make the appearance in a book?

Just curious. How together on this is LucasBooks and Wizards and DHC and Del Rey?

Dark Horse had their own stance on Marvel but Wizards is making the right one.

How does it work?

13. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    People get mad about Marvel being canon because people here want to be the biggest Star Wars fans. They want to be the most knowledgable. If a very long, out-of-print comic book series is part of the continuity, people who haven't read it know a smaller percentage of information about the Star Wars universe.

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The EC Shows what issues of marvel is part of The EU, or canon if you will.

15. Muke_Skywalker

Dec 9, 2000
    Thats a petty reason for not liking the Marvel stuff. Because they want to fancy themselves the biggest fans. Thats just stupid.

16. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    What Ludicrous said is true... From a certain point of view.

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Dev - I think you've hit it exactly why people are "scared" of the Marvel series. It costs a lot to get the issues, they're tough to track down and people want to think their image of STar Wars is correct.

To them it is a 1100 (+/-) page story filling nearly all of the adventures the Star Warriors had between ANH up through the creation of the New Republic.

That's a lot for people to handle - from their POV, it's better they try and minimize it than embrace it, unfortunatley.

18. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    This isn't just about Matrvel. It confirms all EU as canon.

19. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, of course EU is canon! :)

Great topic DL! :)

20. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    woohooo :D

//heads off to buy Gamer 3

21. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    That's rubbish about "being the biggest Star Wars fan" .Some people (like me) simply don't like Marvel because of it's plots, it's ethos, it's style, it's characters, it's ideas and so forth .Why is it so hard for people to understand that ?Some people don't like the KJA books or the NJO because of all the above reasons - why not someone who doesn't like the Marvel comics for the same reasons ?It's bizarre...

As for my annoyance that it is now in continuity and/or canon, that is simply the frustration that something that was in a 'grey are' is now locked into continuity .As an example: I dislike 'Empires End' but I reluctantly recognize it's existence, it's effect and so forth .With Marvel I was able to dismiss it entirely or partially as acroprycal - which obviously I can no longer do .

Yours

22. Muke_Skywalker

Dec 9, 2000
    Thats a silly attitude. So something that you didnt like was fine as long as it wasnt accepted as having happened. But now because it is accepted it ruins the whole thing for you?

It may be raining on your parade, but its well deserved.

All you anti-Marvelites have been raining on the pro-Marvelites parades for a long time.

Glad to see youre disapointed. ;)

23. aleja

aleja Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 1999
    Thanks for posting this, DL. It confirms that only the bits and pieces of the Marvel comics that have been worked into the Bantam/WEG/Dark Horse/DelRey etc. product is actually acknowledged as being part of the "Official" EU.

Which is what you have been saying all along.:D

24. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Which is all of the pieces that were fit into the EC. Of course we haven't heard how they all fit. I hope an EG to marvel star wars comes out to show how it fits.

For all we know janson was captured by imperials, and Hoth stuff was a holographic torturing machine on janson, showing him terror, but not actually killing him.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ::gives Valiento a no-prize::

Good one.

It's completely beyond me why people get so aggravated about certain things being canon. I wouldn't touch the Marvel comics with a 100-foot pole, but I've no problem with them being official. Hell, even the ones that contradict the movies; that can be worked around. The only thing that upsets me about that Gamer letter is the Tales part. Dave Land's gotta be the laziest man on earth to use the Infinities icon for the whole comic; there have been some really great stories in there. As much as I'm looking forward to the Infinities series (flame me if you want), I almost wish it wasn't happening, cuz now they have an excuse to dismiss whatever stories they want. Someone said their take was, if it's not contradicted, it's canon. Works for me.

I dunno about you guys, but now I'm that much mroe interested in writing something official for the EU someday, just so I can include stuff that validates Tales. But then, they could always put the Infinites icon on THAT...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.