main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU is canon: Proof inside (Marvel stuff too)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually giving me a no-prize is an insult to my idea, in which case means you didn't like it. Am I right? Well, to each your own oppinion. No skin off my back.

2. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    In answer to an earlier post: marvel being offical doesn't spoil the EU for me, I'm just anoyed .I'm not going to bomb the offices or anything .

There are many people vastly more extreme than me in other forums .

I'll live . ;)

Yours

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Valiento, what the hell is your problem with me??? I was complementing you, ya jackass. A no-prize is a Marvel term; it's what they "give" to fans who write in and provide an explanation for any little continuity errors the editors missed.

For cryin' out loud...

4. Casta

Casta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2000
    Everyone should be content to a degree.

Muke: I'm afraid that I found your comment on RNolan unconscionably harsh, considering he/she was merely voicing his or her own sentiments (note the continuous of first-person) and not generalizing about the whole picture.

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    coopra read in the other thread, I made a mistake about no-prize, I don't deserve to be called a jackass no body does, but I forgive you....

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    The part aleja about bits and pieces. my story has always been that characters and places could exist, but the whole series couldn't. We know atleast certain events do too now. But I've known that for awhile even though it wasn't what I was saying all along.

Coopra, watch your tongue. That's flaming. Also, Land can't be called lazy when it is LFL that wants Tales to be non-continuity in order to draw bigger names.

7. The Tears of Palpatine

The Tears of Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2000
    Darth Ludicrous:

On what authority does this LFL employee make this statement? Id est, what position in Lucasfilm, Ltd. does he hold?

8. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    [face_sigh]

I wish Iron Parrot were here. :_|

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I think he is just head editor of wizards of the coast star wars rpg game.

10. Evil_Vicki

Evil_Vicki Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2001
    So who Ben Harper?

Yes, he is a LFL employee. Ben edits Gamer and the Insider, the RPG, plus any and all of the children's books, including Jedi Apprentice. If something is canon, he should know.

Evil_Vicki - back into lurkdom...

11. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Ben gets the same members that everyone else does.

12. Muke_Skywalker

Muke_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2000
    Casta-

Youre right. I thought I was just kidding the guy, a jab in the ribs, but I came off as an ass.

Rnolan--

Sorry man.

13. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    Muke_Skywalker: It's okay .We all get testy a times .No hard feelings, eh ?

Thank you Casta .

Yours

14. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "Also, Land can't be called lazy when it is LFL that wants Tales to be non-continuity in order to draw bigger names."

Thats why I'm sceptical of Land. Why would LFL let the parts of Marvel that don't contradict the movies be canon, and NOT let the parts of Tales that don't contradict the movies NOT be canon?!

15. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    If LFL says Marvel is official: accept it and be done with it everyone! :)

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    That's what I've been trying to tell people for 24 years now!

It just takes a while for it to sink in with some fans. :D

17. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Have ppl from the movie forums seen this? ROFL

:D

18. RabidWolfe

RabidWolfe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 1999
    I don't know - I've stayed out of the movie forums - too much EU bashing, and I don't recgonize any of the names anyway. I'm staying in my safety bubble and hanging out in the LIT. forum.

I thing the Movie people would say "well, until GL says it, it's not true."

19. Ganner

Ganner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2000
    What does an "ERA" symbol look like?

20. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    On the back cover of Conquest, there's a rebel alliance symbol. I guess that's an era symbol.

21. Ganner

Jun 9, 2000
    You don't seem sure. I was wondering if that was one or not. Does anyone know for sure?

22. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Yes, that is an era icon. It's the NJO icon. There is a Rise of the Empire (which is the prequels) icon on Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.

"If LFL says Marvel is official: accept it and be done with it everyone!"

I have no problem with Marvel being canon or offical or whatever. Thats cool. Thats not what I am saying though. Its not cool that Marvel can be canon, and Tales can't. They have the same problems. Some of the stories fit, and others don't. So, the ones that do fit, are canon for Marvel. Why not the same for Tales?

23. Ganner

Jun 9, 2000
    Thanks for the clarification, Wedge 88.

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Wedge 88...
    "Thats cool. Thats not what I am saying though. Its not cool that Marvel can be canon, and Tales can't. They have the same problems. Some of the stories fit, and others don't. So, the ones that do fit, are canon for Marvel. Why not the same for Tales?"

I agree with you. Even though it has always been part of the continuity, Marvel has been made Canon because it is classic, unfortunately Tales is not. Perhaps in 20 years, Tales will be Canon as well.

There's also a difference - Marvel actually happened. We have (even in-continuity) no idea about Tales. The first issue outlined that they are just people's embellished/biased accounts of what happened, with some perhaps being more embellished than others. Think of it this way, Marvel happened and therefore is Canon. Tales may have happened, and if it did, may have happened entirely different than what the "holo" showed the story - therefore it cannot be Canon, even if at some point it may be back in-continuity.

Now, if the stories have shown exactly what happened (if Extinction, for example, happened exactly like the Tales "holo" showed, then Tales "holo" would support the continuity)

As for the "problems" - all of the eu stories have them. I agree, Tales shouldn't be any different from HttE in that respect.

25. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    "As many fans know, when it comes to Star Wars knowledge, there are degrees of "canon." The only true canon are the films themselves. For years, Lucas Books has stayed clear of characters, events, or the timeframe that George might want to deal with in the Star Wars prequels. While such things as the Clone Wars, the fall of the Jedi, and Palpatine's rise to power were on that list, Boba Fett wasn't considered to be of major concern."

-Sansweet

"EU is canon until proven otherwise"

Isn't this sort of like saying: "I'll accept every one of Aristotle's scientific theories until you prove otherwise"

You don't have to prove that every theory is faulty if you can prove that the method of deriving the results is faulty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.