main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU is canon: Proof inside (Marvel stuff too)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "And how did Kyle Katarn influence what took place a log, long, long time ago before he was born?"

First off literary contintuity wise, if it wasn't for Jedi Knight the existance of the battle of ruusan back story would not exist, so therefore the game and novel effected a Big important part of the EU.

Secondly, Kyle was the reincarnation of someone that lived back at that time, one of Lord Hoth's several advisors, Tal.

But mostly it's the Jedi Knight Novels that that originally made the backstory for the new EU story Jedi Vs. Sith.

2. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    And people think Zahn had a lot of nerve for inserting Mara into ROTJ.

3. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Personally I am glad that we now have concrete proof that the EU is canon. I've never read Marvel, and I never got around to reading most of the other comics, but that's besides the point. Now I can shove this in front of any canonist's face whenever there is a debate. :)

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    It was the EC that originally inserted Bane into the battle of ruusan backhistory(back history originally told in the dark forces novels, and JK game).

Because the battle of ruusan was already dated to be 1000 years before anh, and Darth Bane was around that time. So LFL just linked up the continuity as LFL policy dictates, which they follow, and have followed(since DF came out), and they don't listen to whiny fanboys.

5. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Personally, I've never known what all the "hubbub" is over canon and non-cannon. (To me, I find it all fun and good!!!)

It's pretty clear that the Marvel SW storylines can be difficult to work into the continuity from time to time - but that - to me - is just part of the challenge! I would be surprised if they were altogether ignored.

Across the licensee spectrum, I get the sense that Marvel keeps finding ways to trickle in. The fans here at TFN have time and again cited WEG's Marvel influences. Prior to and since Ep I, DHC has trickled in more Marvel influence with the Crimson Empire Books and the Jedi Council books. Wizards has had a string of impressive articles in their SW Gamer. And Del Rey kicked out Marvel Homages in both Dan Wallace's Essential Chronology and Ann Lewis' Essential Aliens.

I optimistically feel that if the authors can work Marvel into their works, then they will. However, the opportunity has to present itself!

6. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    I was just looking through the Star Wars Encyclopedia by Steven Sansweet. In the section 'About This Book' (a Forward), he touches upon the concept of canon in his own words:

"There has always been more information than could be included in the original trio of two-hour films. In fact, the novelization of Star Wars that appeared nearly nine months before the first film opened contained detail that never reached the screen. There were also comic books and radio dramatizations that told the same general story, but in fuller detail and with more history. And much of the expanded universe deates from Timothy Zahn's groundbreaking and exciting Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy (sarting withHeir to the Empire in 1991).

"Which brings us to the often-asked question: just what is Star Wars canon, and what is it not? The one sure answer: The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition--the three films themselves as executive-produced, and in the case of Star Wars written and directed, by George Lucas are canon. Coming in a close second we have the authorized adaptations of the films: the novels, radio dramas, and comics.

"After that, almost everything falls into a catagory of "quasi-canon."

---Steven J. Sansweet, 1998

EU has been recognized as canon for a while. :)

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh?
    Apparently either you or I is misreading that quote. The part I assume you're focusing on says that authorized adapatations of the flims, in the form of Novels, Radio Dramas, and comics are cannon.
    Anything after that is quasi cannon, including authorized Novels, comics, and games that are not adaptations of the films.

Besdies that doesn't matter, it would be invalidated by the later statement of Canon

8. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    Ah, but does the latter statement retract Sansweet's 'quasi-canon' statement?

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    There are two different terms here, Canon and continuity.
    In my view, humble or otherwise, Canon is what is specifically recognized as Lucas's vision of the SW universe, whereas continuity refers to the coherent, cohesive, history of the Star Wars universe.

The original question, therefore, seems to be assuming facts not in evidence, that Marvel is part of continuity. The response is absolutely unbelieveable as it seems to state everything that is part of Continuity is also Canon, when it is obvious to even the casual observer that Lucas is not limited by the writings of others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.