main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU mentions in the Clone Wars Series (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LawgSkrak, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Interesting. So the writers decided to make it a rotating planet, but didn't really make that fact clear in the book...

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, technically, you could have a rotating planet that still has all the characteristics described in EU - just have it rotate around a different axis so that one side always faces the sun. Doesn't one of the gas planets in our solar system do this anyways (either Neptune or Uranus, I forget)?

That doesn't really solve the day/night bit, unless you say maybe it wobbles while spinning, which could create a limited day/night effect... still doesn't work perfectly with the CW appearance, but there are things you can say to help make it closer... [face_worried]

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Right, in other words, both ways can work at this point, so far as the text in the Atlas goes.

4. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I'm glad about that. I don't see why there would be a need to overrule tons of EU material when there are several possible retcons we fans can assume which reconcile the different appearances. I like the idea above of the planet rotating in an axis that still keeps one half always exposed to the sun, just with some minimal wobbling which would create a very subtle change of light through its 30-hours rotational period.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I have no problem with explanations that leave room for different fans' interpretations. :)

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    It's one of the things that makes SW EU great ;)

7. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    So, I was reading through the Galaxy at War RPG sourcebook released only about a week ago, and I stumble upon the entry for the Gutkurr (those predator creatures from Innocents of Ryloth) and it reads:

"Although the gutkurr's thick shell and internal insulation allow it to survive for short periods on the frigid night side of Ryloth, the gutkurr typically makes its home in the twilight area, preferring to stay out of the intense heat of the day side of the planet. Gutkurrs sometimes travel through the night side of the planet, ambushing unwary travellers."

And thus, good old Ryloth has swiftly been brought back into the picture! What's going on here, did they go back on the planet description or did someone over at WotC didn't get the memo?

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thought maybe I'd bump this after several months to see if there was any other EU stuff brought up.

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I found an Eu mistake. In Landing at Point Rain Cody says he wasn't at the first battle of Geonosis, but I thought several sources said he was.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not an unworkable situation- either someone else was posing as, or otherwise believed to be, Commander Cody was at Geonosis (thus Cody's comment was correct and all other sources saying otherwise can be attributed to the imposter), or Cody himself was at Geonosis and has some standing order (or other personal reason) for not revealing that information to Obi-Wan/the Jedi (you'll note, IIRC, he stutters with a brief a "uh...", which could be him scrambling for a coverup comment).

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Both Rex and Denal were confirmed to be in the Battle of Geonosis. (S1 Decoded)
    It's strange that Cody wasn't at the first battle. Possibly he was dispatched and was sent to Obi-Wan several weeks after the war began.

12. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Huh. So what was the "age range" of the batch of clones deployed to Geonosis in AOTC? Cut was there, and he seems well older than Rex. Although of course working the farm without armor on could be responsible for the physical discrepancy.

13. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    This might have been discussed already, but were Sidious's actions during the Kyber Memory Crystal arc a foreshadowing of the Emperor's Hands in the EU, including Mara Jade? His grand scheme in those episodes was to one day create an army of unquestioningly loyal force sensitive spies, and that is pretty much the Wookieepedia definition of an Emperor's hand.

14. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    YES! Somebody besides me noticed that!![face_dancing]

15. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Oh yes, it was most definitely a foreshadowing of the Emperor's Hands. Perhaps it was through that data that Palpatine eventually found Mara.

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Boy, it would have been so easy to include a redhead baby girl among those stolen babies, and have a droid sneak out with it while Anakin and Ahsoka are trashing the place...

17. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    True, although Mara is supposed to be 2 years younger than Luke so I can understand them resisting the urge.

18. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, you're right. It's funny how pretty much any attempt to incorporate the EU into the show automatically brings up an EU contradiction within itself.

19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Kuat Drive Yards is mentioned on a holofeed below Palpatine's address in Lightsaber Lost, making the company and therefore planet go up from C-canon to T-canon.:D

Glee Anselm is advertised in the same ep, as well as Duchess of Mandalore, including showing a stylized beach on a poster.

The Mandalorian on the Guernica-style painting in The Mandalore Plot seems to be from the Neo-Crusader/KOTOR-era. Possible Davaab-type fighters behind him. Also, lines in the Mando language. And Death Watch. And the entire trilogy as a whole imo.[face_laugh]

Duchess had a possible sight of one of the peaks of the Manarai Mountains, in a secluded place with Ralph MacQuarrie-designed restaurants and all.

20. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    Honestly I'd like to see some EU references to Great Hyperspace War or any of the battles against the Sith that were shown in the Tales of the Jedi comics.

How awesome would it be to see the Valley of the Dark Lords on this show!?

21. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Haven't watched any of the second season yet, but haven't they totally messed up the Mandalorians?

22. Sith-Spitter01

Jan 26, 2010
    Not really, the Mandalorian eps have probably the most EU mentions and references in the series so far.

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not really. Just added a third wheel to the Death Watch and True Mandalorians. The Mandalorian Civil War happens anyway, the Death Watch recovery actually fits better with canon, and there being less armoured Mandalorians makes the Battle of Galidraan make a lot more sense, if less than two dozen Jedi can defeat enough Mandalorians to cause a major issue on the people.

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Considering that both Ayala Secura and Ventress were born in the EU this really is not the case.

There was some nice EU stuff in The Mandalorian Plot, and the Death Watch is a great inclusion, but when the EU has had entire characters included I'd say thats far more significant than the inclusion of the Death Watch name, a mural and a few line's of a Mando'a inspired language.

Not to mention that while the Mandalorian Arc does include some EU goodness it also redefines a lot of what we knew about Mandalorians and Mandalore from that era. There is a lot of addition by subtraction going on there.;)

25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Don't forget the isolated peak from the Manarai Mountains saving Satine's life by its sheer presence.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.