main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU ships.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GreyJediAntarFodoh, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyJediAntarFodoh

GreyJediAntarFodoh Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2001
    I very recently read that the New Republic has been producing Star Destroyers... I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find lists and pics of EU ships for the New Republic, Empire, Vong and other powers.

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Essential Guide to Vehicles, or something like that?

The NR producing ImpStars? Okay......... [face_plain]

3. GreyJediAntarFodoh

Oct 3, 2001
    Not Imperial Star destroyers... I've been looking around the net and it looks like these are Mon Cal ships, called Star Destroyers.

Anyone else?

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Mon Cals are calling their ships Star Destroyers? Um... OK. I knew those fish were up to something. ;)

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The NR does produce Star Destroyers.

They are not Imperial Class SDs.They are Defender Class SDs and New Republic Class SDs.

And there are Mon Calamari Star Defenders.A Star Defender isn't a Star Destroyer.

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    This is what I get for not reading NJO. [face_plain]

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Actually,those ships are from a sourceboook called Cracken's Threat Dossier.Pre NJO book.

8. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    They also mentioned it in SBS, when they siad they were building two of them, but the would not be completed before a likely invasion on the shipyards.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, after the NEW essential guide to characters, there will probably be a NEW essential guide to vehicles and vessels that will have all of this stuff.

10. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Post ROTJ, PRE-NJO
    Republic class Star Destroyer (NR's bad-ass star destroyer)
    Nebula class Star Destroyer (NR's pocket star destroyer. Incorrectly called a Defender class SD in the threat dossier)
    MC90 class Battle Cruiser
    Endurance class Fleet Carrier
    Majestic class Heavy Cruiser
    Defender class Assault Carrier
    -There are many more, but these are the biggies.

NJO
    Mediator class Heavy Cruiser
    Strident class Star Defender
    Viscount class Star Defender (biggest class ever made by the NR)
    Bothan Assault Cruiser

Also, there's a new star destroyer class shown in Star By Star. They have gravity projectors. The new ships shown are the Mon Mothma and Elegos A'kla, so I'd assume the class would be named after one of the two.

Of course, there are many cool ships; but these are the big boys.

11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Besides the older models of Imperator- and Victory-Stardestroyers, the New Republic has developed a number of own Stardestroyers.

Defender-Class-Stardestroyers
    Republic-Class-Stardestroyers
    Nebula-Class-Stardestroyer (note: its not sure if Nebula and Defender-Class-Stardestroyer are the same ship or not, their characteristics are identical, and Nebula might only be the name of one of the first Defender-Class-Stardestroyers).

Stardefenders were introduced during the NJO. Stardefender seems to be an euphemistic lable for Battlecruiser or Battleship and might equal the bigger imperial Commandships (like the eight kilometer long Stardestroyers), but not necessarily the eleven mile long ones seen in movies, games and comixs. There seems to be one class buildt by the Mon Cal (Viccount) and one buildt by the Corellian Shipyards (Strident).

Last but not least, there was a class of MC-cruiser introduced in Vector Prime called Mediator and described being twice as big/long as former MC-Cruisers, giving the ship a lenght of 2,4 kilometers, although it might be everything from two to three kilometers.

Hope that helps.

12. GreyJediAntarFodoh

Oct 3, 2001
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, people. I enjoyed reading the conversations going on in the board.

13. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    It would be cool if the New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels was an enormous volume, like 500+ pages. That would kick some serious arse.

14. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Yeah, I would like a bigger and more comprehensive EGVV. The old one is really becoming aged and those page long blurbs don't really tell you enough about the ships IMO.

15. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    are they coming out with a new essential guide to ships? I didnt even know about the characters...

16. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Don't forget the Ranger-class Gunships.

What's an Imperator-class Star Destroyer?

17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    They are coming out with the NESGTC in May. I don't know about the vehicles. It would be cool. I agree with Fluke_Groundwalker on that one.

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Imperator-class star destroyer is a 450 or so meter star destroyer, written up by an early EU material.

19. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Oh, that thing, I remember now.

20. Wes

Wes Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2000
    Really? I always thought that the Imperator class Star Destroyer was the "official" name of the Imperial Star Destroyer, sort so like the way they refer to TIE class vessels as Eyeballs, Squints, Dupes, etc.

NR produce Star Destroyers, Some were been built in SbS and in several books when they mention Star Destroyers they talk about them been "new", these include Mark II Imperial classes.

Plus there were around half a dozen ships mentioned in the Black Fleet Crisis. Eudurence class fleet carriers, Majestic class Heavy Cruisers. Agave picket ships, Warrior gunships, Defender class Assualt carriers.

http://frankg.dgne.com/swsv/index.shtml this site doesn't have any NJO ships, it was last updated before but it has a good list, many with pictures of the class.

21. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    I didn't see this mentioned earlier - check out the role-playing book that WOTC put out on ships. (I'd quote you the title, but don't have it in front of me...) There's a good pic of someone's idea of what the Defender-class SD looks like.

22. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Imperator

One of the earliest scetches of a Stardestroyer during the making of ANH, this vessel was supposed to be the ship to catch Princess Leias "Tantive 4" and its drawing shows it to be 450 meters or so long.

According to the makers of the original model they wanted to show a ship wich is several miles long (guess what that would have meant for the big ship in TESB). It was then decided to make the ship one mile long, but, whatever the size of the ship is, the ordinary stardestroyers seen in the movies were intended to be called "Imperator".

However to call them "Imperial" shouldn´t cause a problem, since most sources in which the ship is referred to as "Imperial" are written from the point of view of the rebels, so it might be just rebel-slang like "Superstardestroyer".

23. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Geoffrey Mandel created a set of blueprints in 1978 for the Imperator-class, which was based on the older LFL concept sketches for the smaller sized Star Destroyer. Mandel listed the length of the ship at 486.5 meters. Later references such as the West End Games RPG sourcebooks created the Imperial-class designation referring to the standard 1.6km Star Destroyers as seen in the films. Since these sourcebooks were used as primary reference material for the EU novel writers, the term Imperial-class has come to be considered the standard designation of the ISD, even though at some point the name may have been intended to be Imperator. However since the size of the Imperator-class was much smaller than the finalized ISD size, the Imperator-class may be considered a completely different ship type than the Imperial-class. Keep in mind WEG had a tendency to create "official" classes from old unused LFL concept sketches, such as the Corellian Gunship which was based on the original Millennium Falcon and later Blockade Runner design, and also the Victory-class Star Destroyer based on some older ISD concept sketches. So it may be correct to consider the Imperator as a different class, rather than as an incorrectly sized ISD. Note that this is a different situation than the whole "Super Star Destroyer" debate regarding the 8km WEG Super-class Star Destroyer and the 17.6km Executor/film version.

Below is a comparison between the Imperator-class and Imperial-class, taking the size stats from the Mandel blueprints and the ESB Avenger film model.

[image=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p689ad49283d4522203e43552aa4c6289/fe1995f1.jpg.orig.jpg]

The newer Wizards of the Coast RPG sourcebook called Starships of the Galaxy features a few NJO era ships, including the NR Defender-class Star Destroyer. This class is angular overall like the older ISD, but is smaller. It still retains similar firepower to the ISD II despite its smaller size. Below is the image from the book along with the general stats.

[image=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p18238d9972eb59cb41f47b714b461ced/fe0712ef.jpg.orig.jpg]

Type: Defender-class Star Destroyer
    Manufacturer: Republic Engineering Corporation
    Length: 1,040 meters
    Crew: 7,039
    Passengers: 1,600 troops
    Hyperdrive: x1 (backup x10)
    Weapons:
    40 Heavy Turbolasers
    40 Turbolasers
    20 Ion Cannons
    8 Tractor Beam Projectors
    8 Assault Concussion Missile Tubes, 30 Missiles each
    Carried craft:
    Combination of 60 starfighters and shuttles
    (perhaps four fighter squadrons and 12 shuttles?)

The book didn't include any of the other NR Star Destroyers or Mon Cal Star Defenders, but if anyone else knows where those stats are to be found I'd also like to see them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.