main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [EU] so who appoints moffs in the Imperial Remnant

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i mean, obviously we don't actually know, because the internal workings of the Remnant was never really explained, but anyway. Who would appoint new moffs? the moff council itself? or is there some sort of college of electors or something? would Supreme Commander Pellaeon have some sort of veto power? from where are new moffs drawn-- the military, as during the actual Empire? Or are they more likely to be civilians, since moffs seem to act more like civilian administrators under the remnant (which is weird since the Remnant far more than the actual empire was a straight up military junta)?

mostly i want to know where Saretti came from and what his backstory would probably be like. He mentions his family fled to Bastion after Imperial Center fell and it was there that he "entered the Empire's service"... would this have been like, some sort of civil government position (such as existed at the time) or would it have been the military?

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I suspect they are promoted-probably civil officials and navy upstarts. It would also make sense Pallaeon would hold a veto on membership.

I doubt they are elected.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I feel like, especially after the time that Daala reunites the warlord factions, there wouldn't really be a difference between a civil service and the military. Not that there probably was a huge difference prior, decreasingly after Endor, but the warlords themselves were all military officers whose power came from the fact they directly controlled fleets loyal to them, and none of them seemed to really have any sort of civilian institutions. I imagine by that point in the Imperial-controlled space there was essentially no actual state institutions remaining outside of the military and the local planetary governments. And even under the pre-Endor empire, the position of moff straddled civilian governance and military authority.

Although going around Wookieepedia now, it looks like some late-period Abel article established that one of the warlords Daala killed promoted one of his subordinate governors to become moff, so maybe that's an indication of where the new crop came from. After the peace treaty, Pellaeon 'convinced' the current moffs to retire so he could promote up a new batch more in line with his vision. Although even then from what I remember the moffs in NJO were not really fully behind him, so maybe not.

4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    oof. is this from the Abel article or just supposition? and which Abel article is this, one of those weird ones that's still on starwars.com?​

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I could easily see them as elected prior to Legacy.

7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Why not have them hereditary?

edit: or at least moff appoints moff?

8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Dr. Steve Brule oh yeah i meant the part about Pelly replacing everyone after the bastion accords with a new batch of moffs-- i could see Abel or whoever mentioning that to explain why the NJO moffs have different names but it wouldnt really jive with how stuff is actually depicted (imo best to just assume the names in SotP are first names or something).

Charlemagne19 by electors i meant like, some sort of elite institution for choosing new moffs a la the original ruling council, but without input of the people. any kind of democratic business is like definitely not happening.

DARTH_MU i don't think that works for the remnant, and in any case it's def not what happened with Sarreti who is the one i'm most interested in here.

Anyway here's another question, what happens to moffs who lose their sector during the post-Orinda territory losses? assuming they manage to not get captured or whatever do they just get booted from the council like, "hey sorry man, but you're not really a moff anymore sooo..."

9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Maybe they could do it with Gerrymandering.

Number of Moffs can be fixed and then any one time someone loses a sector they redrew their circle of influence, and then rotate sector to sector like Roman Praetors for their Provinciae. In that way they don't amass enough power to be a threat to the Emperor.

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Leonia Tavira approves.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yeah that's def not how it worked, the Remnant explicitly had more than eight sectors at one point and presumably a number of moffs to batch. and anyway i'm talking about the Imperial Remnant under Pellaeon, not the Fel Dynasty.

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    She's the last hope for the true Empire.

Trip

More seriously, I have no idea.

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Steve makes a good point about the military role of the Moffs --- they have a lot of military power even in the Remnant despire Pellaeon's role of Supreme Commander. Each Moff is in direct command of their sector fleet, and as a body they have the power to order Pellaeon into battle.

I would doubt that Pellaeon has any veto power when it comes to choosing new Moffs. He's pretty keen on using the Council as a system of checks and balances for himself until about midway through the NJO. He'd probably feel it was important for the Moffs to be elected/appointed/whatever'd by means other than himself. I'd hazard a guess that each sector has the power to do it their own way --- some might have a college of electors, some might have pistols at noon, but for sure none of them are elected by their constituents. Democracy in the Remnant is still an incredibly novel idea by the time we get to Fate of the Jedi.

I've always believed that the eight Moffs we see in Specter of the Past were all Moffs in the Pentastar Alignment, since the eight sectors the Remnant still controls at that time are all part of former Alignment territory. But like... when the Remnant's territory expands and they get new sectors, how do they pick a Moff to govern those new sectors? Edit: And yeah, also this question:

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Considering the number jumped from eight to upward of twenty in Legacy of the Force (I'm aware they got new sectors post-NJO), it could be either election or just promoted by allies on the Council.

Then again, it appeared as if the number of Moffs jumped even in the Vong war. After Bastion, in which a number of Moffs were killed, Ephin Sarreti (Bastion/Braxant sector), Kurlen Flennic (Yaga Minor/Prefsbelt sector [likely]), Crowal (Valc III/Perinn sector [likely]) [the first and only known female Moff [which someone forgot about in LOTF] and Freyborn were the only acknowledged survivors (though dialogue suggests more). FOTJ confirmed Moff Quillan [SOTP] was still around so he is likely another survivor. This would mean only three Moffs lost at Bastion and Muunilinst when they fell to the Vong though dialogue suggests more.

15. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    From what I've gathered most Moffs were military personnel, but the rank itself was civilian. Sector fleets were technically commanded by High Admirals, though most Moffs chose to be their own High Admirals.

16. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Something of note: After the Second Galactic Civil War, a lot of the Moffs are dead, and new Galactic Alliance leader Daala negotiates with new Remnant Head of State Jag Fel that at least half of the new Moffs will be female. It's mentioned in the Invincible epilogue and brought up again in the first chapter of Omen when Lecersen gasps in horror about it and his monocle falls off his face. So we know that by 41 ABY, the Head of State had a say in how new Moffs got elected. Can't really conclude anything about how they were elected before the Head of State position was created, though. Since it was created on a whim by Luke at the end of the war, Daala may have taken advantage of how undefined the role was in her negotiations.

Where does that info come from? There are no High Admirals in the EU after Teradoc, who dies before the Remnant is created.

17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ahaha good grief. i'd actually been kinda hoping to glean some useable info from lotf/fotj but its not looking super likely the more i read about it.

Noash_Retrac - i dont think any moffs were lost during the vong war? id have to double check but i think all eight are still hanging around after the initial assault anyway. there is the discrepancy between three named NJO moffs and the moff names given in SotP but like i said above i'd just assume they're the same people and the SotP names are their first names or something.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have no idea what happened to them in the long run, but in the short run at least I'd assume they were just "moffs-in-exile" like with various real-world leaders - still nominally holding their title, but not really having any power to go with it, except maybe symbolically.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Didn't a Chronology or something say the Empire and New Republic were almost identical in government at one point?

20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
  21. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    The Imperial Sourcebook. I don't know if the title was still in use for the Remnant.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    So where was that from because it was one of the interesting things I always felt about the Imperial Remnant that at least one author thought it was important to establish the Empire had "reformed."

23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i dunno dude but if you find it let us know bc that sounds wack

Dr. Steve Brule and Darth_Duck like this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I suspect they were up and promoted from lower ranking officers and planetary governors. After which they remained for life apparently.

25. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    That seems to be what happened to Moff Getelles. In 13 ABY (Planet of Twilight) he's the Moff of the Antemeridian sector, but by 19 ABY (Specter) that sector is no longer a part of Remnant Space and Getelles is nowhere to be seen. Flash-forward to 44 ABY (Fate of the Jedi) and the Antemeridian sector is once more part of Remnant Space, with Getelles as its Moff.

Nom von Anor and Dr. Steve Brule like this.