main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU Squadron! - Join up here.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ganner, Oct 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Black 6 has to sign off for a few hours. But I'll be back later!

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Gold 13 checking in again :

As a new squad memeber, Ive had time to ponder a few things about the EU, and something in particular came to mind. With the changes in the now defunct Knightfall trilogy, and DelRey's decision in altering the 2001 schedule from four novels down to three. From what I have been reading on the MJF thread, there will now be a huge gap in between BP and the first Keyes book. If that is so, my question to the Squadron is this : How will the EU Squadron fare against the most evil, most cruel Enemy we have ever faced...Boredom.

Either way, we will stand tall and proud as a Squadron. As for myself, my A-Wing will fight well and proud, the Banner of Gold Flight dancing in the wind...

3. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I like the idea of a General by election.

4. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Gold 13 here, B3...

Ive received the coordinates and will meet up with my Flight in a few hours, when I arrive in-system.

Thirteen out.

5. TheB5Fan

TheB5Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 1999
    There nothing wrong with that thread. The ppl don't like the EU, they haven't bashed anyone. Maybe you should just leave them alone

6. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Black Lead signing in briefly.

I am on vacation as is XO-Red/Black Flight, Spiderdevil.

Black Flight, report any problems or concerns to either Ganner or here, Base. I will return Sunday.

If the "Xixor?" thread is still active Sunday, I will silence the offenders. They have yet to learn that speculation hurts no one.

I like the idea of a general, but couldn't the term "Air Marshal" be used, as that is the highest command rank in the Air Force?

As for the election, I cant wait till November for the BIG one, so let's start this one as soon as all flights are full, which shouldnt be too long.

Have a good weekend, comrades. Shoot straight.

Black Lead out.

7. Rynobot

Rynobot Jedi Master star 1

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually I think Commander would work best since we're supposingly a "star wars" fighter squadron. Why stop there? Once we have our fleet composed of 4 flights, then we can add capital ships. We could have Admirals, Generals, Lieutenants, Commanders, Colonels, Captains, Flight Officers. Or we could go with more Imperial ranks.

8. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    That's a bit complicated. I would go with a simple Ensign, Lieutenant, Commander, and General system.

9. Obi-John

Obi-John Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2000
    Gold 7 here, just signing in to see how everyone's doin. I don't get on the board too much but i'll look out for threads that need to be mentioned here.

Gold 7, out.

10. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    I know it's a bit premature, but should we have a web site?

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I got a kick out of the Xizor thread... much to probably everyone's surprise, the leader of Black Sun could very well be in TPM. Certainly the scenes that the picture was taken from are there. I couldn't see him the first time the location is shown, but I'm certain he's there the second time it flashed by. Anyway, I laughed my @$$ off at the thought of Xizor actually being in TPM and how the EU-bashers have to stomach the bad news.

Anyway, EU-12 finished doing a flyby. Dropped a small payload there.

12. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Ok, listen up squad. Jethro_Sunrider may need our help in the new "Young Thrawn" thread he posted here...

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1150324&start=1150450#1150450

After close obserrvation, I figure it will certainly draw some heavy fire. I would put this as priority level, but not yet an emergency.

Red-12 out.

13. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    All right, I'll keep an eye on it.

Hey, I think this thread is a parody of ours: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1149388&replies=5
    The true sign of success is that someone cares enough to make fun of you :)

14. Ganner

Ganner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2000
    No offense, guys, but what's with the efforts to replace me as Squadron Leader? I mean I DID actually start the squadron. Besides, military leaders aren't elected.

If there was any displeasure with my leadership, I wasn't aware of it.

Lead out

15. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    Nobody wants to replace you, I think they're just asking for a clear chain of command. So far, Ganner, you're handling things well enough.

16. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    Yeah, I don't really know the point of that "Crimson Jedi" thread. I checked it out, made sure they weren't making light of our group (which I don't think they are), and posted my opinion of their rhetoric. =D

Curious, though....

17. Ganner

Jun 9, 2000
    ¤---Gold Flight---¤
    Gold-1/Gold Lead: Thrawn McEwok
    Gold-2: GrandAdmiralCaesar
    Gold-3: DVader316
    Gold-4: JediMark127
    Gold-5: JediLord
    Gold-6:
    Gold-7: Obi-John
    Gold-8:
    Gold-9: ReaperFett
    Gold-10: Ooryl Qyrgg
    Gold-11:
    Gold-12:
    Gold-13:
    XO: Matthew Trias (civilian)
    ¤---Gold Flight---¤

Welcome JediLord! You are now Gold-5!

18. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    i am ready to serve.

19. Ganner

Jun 9, 2000
    Alright, I can definitely oblige the request to create a chain of command. I didn't realize you guys wanted that so much!

I will outline a chain of command, but first give me a little help here. I'm not sure of the exact chain of command in Star Wars. Here's my understanding.

Admiral
    General
    Colonel
    Commander
    Captain
    Leutenant
    Private

Is that correct? Am I missing some of them?

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Ganner...
    "Here's my understanding.

Admiral
    General
    Colonel
    Commander
    Captain
    Leutenant
    Private

Is that correct? Am I missing some of them?"

Starfighter command doesn't follow that rule. What you have is more for the general Fleet.

"Starfighter Command (StarCom): This department is charged with strategic control of the...starfighter contingent. It is responsible for training pilots, assigning wings to the Fleet and to individual Sectors, and for operational control over "rogue" wings - those wings in the...Forces and not permanently assigned to Sectors." (Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, p. 23)

The Chief of Starfighter Command is charged with strategic control of the starfighter contingent. He is directly responsible to the High Command.

"Once it has assigned a starfighter wing to a Sector, StarCom relinqueshes operational control of that wing to the Commander of the Sector. The Wing Commander will then answer to the Sector Commander, but will also file reports to StarCom..." (Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, p. 23)

So, it's more like...

StarCom
    Sector Commander
    Wing Commander
    (individual ranks)

Some things to note, Sector and Wing Commanders may have a higher rank officer serving under him. Anything above Commander is probably a member of StarCom and NOT the front-line fighter force.

21. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I suppose in our case, we could tone down some things... we can have our "Sector" either be TF.N, or have it be the "Movie Forum" or perhaps even the "EpII/III Forum" - it all depends on the scope of what we want. If we have the TF.N be the Sector, then I'd say what we have currently is dead-on, with each Wing Commander (Red, Black, Gold, etc.) answerable to the Sector Commander (Ganner). If we shift things downward in scale, then we all move downward as well.

In any case, I'll let you chew on that tonight, because I'm out of here.

22. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    my take on it:
    Grand Admiral
    Admiral
    General
    Captain
    Commander
    Liutenant
    Ensign
    Trainee

23. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    here:
    galaxy-all forums
    Sector-one certain forum(ex:episode2)
    system: certain thread

24. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    i started Crimson Jedi to defend Jedi in case people have something to say about them. no intent of making fun of our esteemed squad. feel free to join or not.i am new here, so do not be afraid to explain things to me. i will not be offended. always ready to learn.

25. Ganner

Jun 9, 2000
    Alright, it looks like we'll be needing a restructurisation. Here's what I'm thinking:

EU 'Squadron' should become a 'wing' instead of a squadron. This would then make each 'flight' a squadron (Black Squadron, Red Squadron,Gold Squadron, etc.) Of course, if we do that, then we could give each squadron individual NAMES instead of colors and then allow for 3 flights within each squadron (with numbers rather than colors). In each squadron one flight would have 5 fighters including the squadron Lead, two flight would have 4 fighters, and three flight would have 4 or 5 fighters, dependant on whether the XO was flying or not.

Also, if we're becoming a wing, we might want to modify the name a bit - cause 'EU Wing' doesn't really roll off the tongue. Maybe 'EX Wing' for (EXpanded Universe Wing). We'd just want to make sure that the name of the Wing reflected the purpose of what we're doing.

Does that sound good, everyone? There will also be rank to work out, but I'll do that AFTER we get this part sorted out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.