main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[EU] The Expanded Universe and the Jedi Council

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Iron_Fist, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DP4M, I feel so disillusioned

Don't worry; the fact that I agree with the "purists" on many points makes me that much more effective... ;)

2. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Does this mean if DP3M were in the EUDF he would have to defend against himself? :confused:

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I *did* almost have to ban myself for trolling by revealing my possible desire to turn purist in the EUDF thread... :p

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Can I ban you anyway ?

:p

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Not to sound like some kind of old-timer, but the so-called canon wars of today are like friendly old men playing chess compared to the hate-fests that happened when I first joined the JC. Seriously, are some of the old threads archived on some disk somewhere? If so, please, for the love of Salma Hayek, make them available for view or download. If you put the words "dark" and "Jedi" together, you placed yourself in peril of being beset by a frothing mob bearing torches & pitchforks. No exaggeration.

Why does EU get such hate? The answer is connected to the same reason that some completists "defend" the EU with such fervor. Both camps see whatever it is about what they like about the Star Wars saga as something incredibly sacred.

Therefore, the purist sees what they enjoy (the movies only) as some holy ground whose purity they must rabidly defend with every fiber of their being. By the same token, the completists sees the EU as being part and percal of the Holy Land called the Star Wars Saga, and any attack upon the integrity of the beloved Expanded Universe must be crushed with extreme prejudice.

The irony is, both rely upon dogma, not rational arguments. Is your ego so frail that your very soul depends upon the regard received by whatever aspect of Star Wars you enjoy?

The best way to avoid flame wars is to simply ignore flame-bait. Debate using facts, logic, and supposition. Show respect to someone, even if they disagree with you. Do not justify ignorant remarks with a responce. The old wisdom holds true: ignore a troll, and he will go away. :cool:

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    If you put the words "dark" and "Jedi" together, you placed yourself in peril of being beset by a frothing mob bearing torches & pitchforks. No exaggeration.

The canon-war that resulted in the creation of the EUDF was started (by me :D ) in a thread about the colour of Ki-Adi-Mundi's lightsaber. I suggested it would be yellow because it was in the comics. I was immediatly flamed. Twas fun. I miss those days.

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
  8. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    EUDF :rolleyes:

I feel like starting a EU attack force right about now

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Wow, havent seen that thread in a dog's age. Where'd you dust that one off, Merk ?

11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It was only on page 2 or 3 on the AotC Forums. Guess it's still active...

Also FYI comet1440, we made peace with that thread from the EUDF's very inception. At my suggestion, I might add :) If you read through all gods know how many pages, you'll note that that several of us EUDF-ers took an active role is chasing trolls away from that thread, and even pleaded with the Mods that the thread needed to remain open.

12. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
  13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    What specific parts of that 3SA thread give you concern?

14. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    The parts where there was constant rambling about why people hated the EU that had nothing to do with Episode III invalidating it, as well as when a poster came in and started telling off EUDF members with no provocation.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

16. saberlord99

saberlord99 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 9, 2002
    Is something going to be done about it? Or is a Moderator just going to keep a close eye on it so it doesn't turn into more pointless flaming (which IS against the TOS and a bannable offense if I am not mistaken).

17. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Aug 24, 2003
    A few other threads that I've been lurking in were locked for being "out of hand" this morning -- why wasn't the same done for this one (which I would consider the most out of hand [from both sides of the debate])?

Just curious. ;)

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm at work and forgot about it. I agree it should be locked and have just locked it.

19. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Aug 24, 2003
  20. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    You know, somehow, I do not find the aforementioned threads amusing in the slightest, and I am not even a Zahn fan.

21. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Yeah I've always found that thread to be rather lame myself. Then again, I rarelly find parody funny to begin with.

-P!-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.