main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU things it took you a while to pick up on

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vthuil, Jan 4, 2015.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I don't think Zahn is unprofessional or dislikes other authors. He simply used what he liked. And why wouldn't he? Stackpole was in the same WEG/military sci-fi frequency he was; he was undoubtedly more confortable with Rogue Squadron than with Kyp Durron and co.

He even used Alex Winger from the AJs, ffs.

I still think Car'das was an affectionate Lucas expy. I'll try to find my copy of VotF to find text supporting this theory.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded. I do think that this:

is something of an overstatement.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So can we try and get this back on topic now?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I know I didn't pick up on Naasad'guur mhi – Mhi n'ulu being a modified version of the Millwall chant until quite a bit later, due to not knowing much about football in general and football clubs in particular.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Naasad'guur_mhi_–_Mhi_n'ulu

Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can not help to think that this make the madolorians SW's orks since much of their, the orks, culture is based on english football hooligans.

Darth_Garak, Sarge and Big Fat'Lya like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's more to Mandos than that - but, given that Traviss is a British author - giving them a few British cultural traits makes sense. It wouldn't be the first time - Fenn Shysa has a very "Irish" accent in Marvel Star Wars.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I miss that accent in the EU.

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but because it never belonged in any other thread, I might as well bring it up here: when I first came to Lit, I was too shy to ask what "GODV" meant, so I kept calling it "Godiva" in my head. "Oh, they're talking about that Godiva thing again." It took me a lot longer than it should have (longer than I'd ever admit) to realize it was the same thing as Jedi Prince. So to this day I can't see the acronym without thinking of chocolate.

9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Does anyone knoe how to pronounce Twi'lek?

Twee or twy?

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Depends... How do you pronounce "route"?

CooperTFN and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Both film characters, but I did think that Yarael Poof and Sora Bulq were female for years.

Still kinda bummed that they're not.

jaoblias likes this.
  12. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    I used to get Adi Galia and Depa Biliba mixed up all the time, until I got that tiny "100 Characters from episode 1" mini book thing.

13. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Oh man, I loved that thing. It had all the podracers, including the ones who didn't make the cut in the film but were in the game.

JechtShotMK9 and Vthuil like this.
  14. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    That book was the first thing to introduce me to the sheer ridiculousness of the EU when it came to bit parts from the films. Seemed like everyone in that podrace had some Big, Dramatic Story behind their participation (like the one guy who used his podracing as a cover for his career as an assassin and the other guy who was really the son of a crime lord he'd killed out for revenge).

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  15. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    They basically just "Tales from the Boonta Eve Classic"'d all over the place before some author could come along and do it...

16. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

Oh good,so basically I'm right no matter what ;)

It took me almost 10 years to correctly pronounce "Mara" and only because I heard Zahn talking.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The idea that Zahn thought he was "running" the EU back in the Bantam era is pretty silly when one considers that KJA was pretty much the one running it, between his copious book/comic writing and editing a lot of the other stuff as well. And for all that people like to say that Zahn was slagging off KJA's works in Hand of Thrawn, I'd say that KJA got off lighter there than he did with Stackpole in I, Jedi. (Not to mention Zahn was fine with KJA using Pellaeon in Darksaber, and Pellaeon's position in HOT even builds directly from the end of Darksaber, and Daala gets brought up pretty often in HOT).

Really, if anything the one Bantam-era work that might justifiably be said to be attacked in HOT is Dark Empire, and even then Mara dismissing the reborn Emperor as simply a clone who thought he was Palpatine was itself a pretty common theory of fans back in the 90s. And at least he included it for an intended retcon to explain why his character wasn't used in DE to make them mesh better overall.

Not to mention that Bel Iblis's second in command was named after the winner of a charity auction in the original Thrawn series.

In any case, on the topic of this thread, AOTC came out during a time I was in-between EU reading, so before I actually saw later on that they were supposed to be separate ships, I thought the Acclamators were VSDs.

Iron_lord, Abadacus and CooperTFN like this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I didn't even realize the series was called Jedi Prince for like ten years. I only ever heard GODV.

DelRiego and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Some author did do a few of those stories - the Episode I Adventures comic was the source of at least some of that data.

20. Aeternum

Aeternum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2015
    It took me a while to pick up on the racism and homophobia of the beautiful names Plo Koon and Yarael Poof.

Now the Jedi are ruined forever.

21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I can't tell if you're joking or not, but either way that's reading too much into it.

Though I do think it was deliberate that the former was almost always just called "Master Plo" in TCW.

Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  22. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    That;s actually official??? I always assumed that was fanon....

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know if this count but it took me until Triple Zero to realise how old Etain was, my impression from Hard Contact had been that she was a rather new padawan with around one year of field work below her belt. Not somebody around her twenties that could become a full jedi knight within a year.

24. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Same thing for me too. Looking back I'm not sure what gave me that impression. Maybe she just felt written younger to me in maturity level in the first one

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    For me I think it comes from that it felt like she had no real field experience. Most of the time she had absolutely no idea what to do unless somebody told her, there was no instance of her reflecting on how she and her master had done things in similar situations or her thinking that she should have thought about that after being told something.

Barriss_Coffee and Fleab88 like this.