main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU Timeline Questions **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lucen, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But I have some questions about the EU regarding the timeline.

Ok, for anyone who's played the KOTOR games, you'll know what I'm asking about here. If you haven't played them, and are planning to, stop reading here before I ruin the story for you. :)

Now, from what I know after watching the films, reading some of the EU novels and playing some of the games, leading up to The Phantom Menace, the Jedi Order was thriving and protecting the galaxy. 4000 years prior, Exar Kun was defeated by a group of Jedi and his essence was left to haunt Yavin 4 until he was able to prey on the Jedi trainees that Luke brought there after the Heir to the Empire trilogy. Shortly after Kun was defeated though, there was a Jedi Civil War, which is the setting for the KOTOR games.

A Jedi named Revan fell to the dark side, and in a last ditch effort to turn the tide of the war, the Jedi removed his memory and tried to use him to learn where the Sith were getting so many ships so quickly. Whether you go light or dark as you play out that part, in the end, Revan leaves the galaxy to go face the true Sith Lords beyond the Outer Rim. (We learn that in KOTOR 2)

Now, regardless of whether you were dark or light in KOTOR 1 and regardless of whether you choose dark or light KOTOR 2, the remaining Jedi Masters in the galaxy are wiped out. Either by you, or Kreia. In the end, your character follows Reven to face the true Sith Lords and the only Jedi left, if any, are those you may have trained in your journey. Essentially, the Jedi are once again removed from the galaxy, and there are almost 4000 years of history between that moment and The Phantom Menace...

So far, this is probably just reiterating what you already know. Here's where my question starts coming out. I read somewhere that the Sith took over the galaxy and that 800 years before The Phantom Menace, the Jedi managed to take it back, with the help of Yoda. Don't know if that is cannon or just gossip though. In any case, if it's true, do we know anything more about the time period between the end of KOTOR 2 and Yoda helping the Jedi to take back the Galaxy? And if it's not true, do we know anything at all about it?

2. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    The light side ending of KOTOR is the canon ending, just for your knowledge.

As of now, we don't know what happens with Revan, the exile, and the "true" Sith Empire.

Almost two thousand years after the KOTOR games, however, another rogue Jedi fell to the dark side, stole a Sith Holocron, and reformed the order. The "New Sith Wars" lasted for one thousand years, and apparently at some point in there the Sith were ruling the galaxy. At the end of the wars, all of the Sith except Darth Bane were wiped out in the Battle of Ruusan. Bane reformed the order with the "rule of two" we all know and love, and things went from there. Yoda wasn't involved at all.

3. Hugh_Jass

Hugh_Jass Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    ^What he said.

It was fun to read the KOTOR story line again. What a great game!

4. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Ok, so what I heard about Yoda was just gossip. Thanks. :) And I didn't know the light side ending was cannon. Is that also true with KOTOR 2? And in the ending for KOTOR 2, at least the light side ending (I'm still working on the dark side ending), Kreia does say that Revan went to the face the true Sith beyond the Outer Rim. Is that also cannon knowledge?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way. I appreciate it.

Edit: And where can I read about the new rise of the Sith 2000 years later? I had an idea for a fanfic I wanted to write that would take place around then. That's why I'm asking these questions. I'm trying to do my homework before I start it. :)

5. Hugh_Jass

Hugh_Jass Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that all Light side endings are cannon. Therefore, the Exile's journey to fight the True Sith would also be cannon.

The only place I know to read about Darth Bane is the Essential Chronology, a good book, if you want to skip some of the really bad novels. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone here will correct me. ;)

6. Esplin9466

Oct 27, 2002
    Currently the only sources set during the New Sith Wars are the Jedi vs. Sith trade paperback and the Star Wars Gamer stories "Darkness Shared" and "Banes of the Sith," though there is a Darth Bane novel forthcoming.

Beyond that, your best bets are The Essential Chronology, The New Essential Guide to Characters, The Dark Side Sourcebook, and the Dark Forces novellas.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    there's a book coming out in a few years about Darth Bane's life.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "Monty Python's The Life of Bane". [face_mischief]

9. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll be picking up quite a bit of new reading it seems. :) I have one more question. Where can I go to read about the technology that goes into building a light saber? Have they ever disclosed exactly how they work? I know they need a beam emitter, a crystal, and a lens. I'd like to know if there's somewhere else I can look for the physical pieces that go into building one, as well as how they work. (If that's ever been explored.)

For instance, how do they keep the blade at a specific length, rather than having it do what all other light would do and extend indefinately? I remember Gantoris building his lightsaber in the Jedi Academy trilogy, and there was some discussion about saber length there. Is there anywhere else I can look?

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Size matters not.

11. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    "Size matters not."

This is true, and I'm not intersted in making longer blades. But part of my fanfic idea revolves around explaining how the blade is kept at a specific length, rather than expanding indefinately. :)

It's the tech geek in me shining through. Hehe.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    It's a fictional technology that's probably impossible. If they go beyond saying it involves a crystal and a lens, (duh!), they'd make fools of themselves.

13. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Well, they don't need to come up with a useable explanation. :) Fictional explanations work just fine. Hyperspace travel is probably impossible too, but that doesn't mean they can't explain how they are able to use it... though, come to think of it... I don't think they explain that either.

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    ...because it would just be stupid. ;)

15. Esplin9466

Oct 27, 2002
    *waves hand*

This isn't the post you're looking for . . .

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They do detail it somewhere- basicly there's a magentic field of some kind that basicly designates the length of the blade, and the energy cycles out and arcs back into the hilt, creating a constant cutting motion, IIRC. The length can be adjusted in some cases (Anakin's/Luke's saber could specify length with one of the knobs) or certain sabers with multi-crystals can have multiple preset lengths.

17. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    So the magnetic field basically curves or bends the light?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The energy the saber emitts, yes.

19. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Thanks a bunch. :) Could you point me to where you read that? I'd like to do some research before starting my fic idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.