main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU to read that isn't invalidated by the PT, or at least an explanation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Blasphemous, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999

I have a problem in other threads that aren't here of people dismissing EU as total crap, though I personally think it's something that helped keep SW alive to many fans.

Granted, I don't like all EU, but I think there are some very good storylines out there that I would love to consider canon in my own "personal continuity". Namely the Zahn trilogy and just about anything involving Boba Fett.

What I would like is a way for the above stories and characters to play in line with the PT and not be invalid, at least for me. Questions I would love an explanation for:

-Is there still a way to read Boba Fett's stories and not have the PT debunk everything?

-Are Zahn's books invalid?

Note: please do not give an answer like: just ignore the PT. That answer won't work for me.

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    To be very blunt, nothing in the EU has been "invalidated" by the EU. Boba's backstory (as loosely established in the 'Tales of the Bounty Hunters' anthology book) did nothing to contradict what was shown in 'Attack of the Clones'. In fact, if you'd like to see how it all fits together, I recommend getting/reading the Boba Fett entry in the New Essential Guide to Characters.

As for Zahn, well, likewise, none of his stuff has been "invalidated".

3. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Jango Fett: Open Seasons is also a good read if you're looking for how the Episode II and pre-existing EU Fett backstories were reconciled. The first issue can be read online for free here:

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/f20021025/index.html

SW Insider (the official mag) published a short story series by Zahn a little over a year ago that was set during the Clone Wars and elaborated on the Spaarti cylinders of the Thrawn Trilogy. There's a summary of that here:

http://www.starwarz.com/clonewarseu/battles/12.htm#cartao

There was a recent issue of the Republic comic series that showed the ecological disaster on the Noghri homeworld:

http://theforce.net/comics/darkhorse/cp_sw68.asp

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    To be very blunt, nothing in the EU has been "invalidated" by the EU.

i think Syntax means that nothing in the EU has been invalidated by the Prequels.

Jango Fett: Open Seasons works to tie the Fett backstory in with what we see in AOTC. The Zam Wesell/Jango Fett TPBs also show a bit more of young Boba. A young Boba Fett takes center stage in his own series of children's books, which are set during the Clone Wars. Later Boba is the main character of the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, set around the time of the OT, as well as in the Shadows of the Empire comic. Boba Fett has quite a few comics appearances: in one-shots (compiled into a few TPBs) as well as in Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire, and in Dark Empire (where he meets up with Han again) and also shows up again in some short stories (Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales from the New Republic) and then finally makes a cameo at the end of the New Jedi Order.

5. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The only problems between post-RotJ EU and the PT are the dates. The Clone Wars are placed during Anakin's childhood on Tatooine in Zahn's trilogy and other books, though even this has been retconned. Dates such as the placement of the Honoghr attack use the local calendar, which has been worked to match with the new PT-EU dates.

6. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    i think Syntax means that nothing in the EU has been invalidated by the Prequels.

Whoops, you're right. :oops:

7. Darth Blasphemous

Jun 21, 1999
    What about something you can bring up on another board that's not EU and won't get shot down like mad dog? (Dismissed, I mean, just what it feels like sometimes.)

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As far as the Boba Fett stuff goes- reading it all may seem slightly disjointed but certain reference sources, such as the highly acclaimed History of the Mandalorians article in SW Insider ties everything together very nicely.

9. Darth Blasphemous

Jun 21, 1999
    Hmmm...got a link to the Mandalorian story per chance? ;)

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    No, but here's a link to our rather lengthy, meandering discussions of it . . .

http://boards.theforce.net/Literature/b10003/17497617

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.