main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EU version of the OT novelizations

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dizfactor, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i love the original novelizations of the OT, but at the same time i also really like the way that the EU and the movies are much better-integrated in the PT era. the OT novelizations were written to basically be self-sufficient and to reflect the movies themselves, and the amount of EU material was very limited and largely an afterthought in any case. however, subsequent novelists and others working in the EU have really developed and built upon the characters and situations seen in glimpses in the OT.

this is totally idle chit-chat and speculation, but i was curious as to what people here would want to see if they ever published EU-ized "remakes" of the original OT novels. they would have to be larger, of course, to accomodate all the characters and such, but i think it would really add depth to the relationship between the movies and the EU. they could flesh out a lot of the more crowded scenes with more detailed interactions between the background characters, and perhaps introduce whole new subplots and plot threads following characters we didn't see directly in the movies, like Ackbar with the fleet at the end of ESB.

in other words, the novels could be rewritten to take advantage about how much more we "know" about what was happening and who was there, and adjusted to the pacing of novels as opposed to movies.

if the TIE Fighter video game is to be believed, we could see Thrawn at the Battle of Hoth. we could see the Battle of Endor from the perspective of the Rogues, or Pellaeon. we could see the bounty hunters sizing each other up and talking while they wait for Vader on the bridge of the Executor, or watch Palpatine dissolve the Senate in ANH from Mara Jade's perspective. the possibilities are endless!

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Eh... It's an interesting idea, but what more is there to put in?

3. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    the established rosters for the 3 main battles. pilot names, ship names, squadron designations, exact numbers etc. would clear a lot of nagging doubts....

4. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    Given that they haven't even fixed the squadron names in A New Hope (not even in the relatively recent hardcover printing, which required a new layout anyways), I doubt that we'll ever see such a thing.

5. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    Maybe if they release leather-bound copies of the OT like they've been doing with TPM and AOTC, they could fix it up, or even get someone to write up a whole new version.

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    egad.. make special editions out of the books? i think that tyring to fit in all EU angles might break the story apart...

perhaps what they really need is a detailed sourcebook of the movies, pointing out who is where etc,

i'm not sure we need a re-write of the movie novels to help give us a bigger picture... just write the parts involving other characters as side stories...
    with all the stuff we know already about that timeframe, each book might end up like a James Clavell novel...

besides.. would we need to redo the cantina scene novelization to fit in every angle from Tales from the Cantina)... and then how the movie Special Edition altered that... (No Lak Sivrak! :(

7. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    "Given that they haven't even fixed the squadron names in A New Hope (not even in the relatively recent hardcover printing, which required a new layout anyways), I doubt that we'll ever see such a thing"

but u c, the novels would have the opportunity to fix the things, like tyderium said. set them in stone, clear up the contradictions....

i don't really think it's necessary to lay in ALL the Eu angles...it would probably be harmful, too. just get the bloody rosters right....

8. ArsenicMan

ArsenicMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    You're talking about a rewrite, though. They didn't fix what amounts to typos, so why would they pay a writer to do a rewrite (or, more likely, write a new novelization from scratch), when said book is unlikely to sell all that well (given the backlash against SE movies, the same is likely for SE books as mentioned above)?

9. JediPunker

JediPunker Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    I would be in favor of not just rewries, but completley new books. That's the way they need to go.

I really wanna see all the subplots not in the film, but that you have imagined for years; the Ackbar thing, the bounty hunters, all that. Plus the usuall extended and deleted scenes that come witht the prequels.

This would perfect to release in conjunction with these new editions (of the films) Lucas may be putting together.

10. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I feel the novels are fine the way they are, leave them alone. They are novel versions of the movies and as such they should reflect the movies not the EU. Its one thing to add more special effects and unused scenes to the movies but to write a novel that doesn't really need it is going to far. Forget about it, there are already enough EU novels and more coming. Why must you want a rewrite when one isn't needed. The novel versions of the movies are the closest things that many movie-only fans will get to the EU. The last thing that is needed is to fill it up with tons of EU references and scenes that weren't in the movie nor hinted at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.