main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU vs. Films?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Mandalorians were never just nomadic bloodthirsty mercenaries in the first place.

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Learn to sarcasm

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Learn to accept different opinions from yours.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If you seriously payed attention to the context of the post you were quoting she was not agreeing with your opinion....

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Irrelevant. I'm not saying she agreed with my opinion, I merely said that I agree with what she wrote. The sarcasm is on her, not on me.

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Serious question, Alexrd:
    Do you prefer TCW to other CW EU? If so, is it because you think it's better or because Lucas is involved? I'm interested, not baiting. [face_peace]

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Most of it, yes. Not everything.

Both.

No problem.

JackG and Sable_Hart like this.
  9. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the biggest problem we have is people see a Canon War between the films and the EU. It simply isn't. Many people seem to think that the post RotJ EU is hard to navigate around. When in all reality there are only two EU characters that would need to carry over for the EU to survive in one form or another. Those two would only be Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo. With the inclusion of those two characters we get a galaxy that makes plot sense for EU with one male and one female Jedi protagonist and one child to each the Solo and Skywalker families.

Do what you will with the Jedi Order, it's home base, Chewbacca, and anything else. The EU will roll with the punches and come out on the other side more invigorated than ever.

Here are some reasons why...
    Imagine the early 2000's with NJO finishing up around 2002-2003, then Clone Wars novels taking off 2003-2004, 2005 we had Dark Nest, Labyrinth of Evil, and Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader.

With the sequel trilogy, if you just give us Jaina and Ben, we can have entire books about Ben's adventure with ______, the Jedi who makes an appearance in Episode VII. Also with the Sequel Trilogy, we will not have to rely on the Big 3 saving the galaxy, a new generation will rise. They can finally retire to their Council Chambers or Millennium Falcon.

With all of that being said, I challenge you to point out one thing that could not be ignored...
    1. Vong War, 20 Years in the Past, already recovered
    2. Chewie, Retconned back to life or not mention because not necessary to plot
    3. Mara, the minute she married Luke, she left her cool history behind and became a breeder for children. Once Ben was born she was going to die.
    4. Jacen or Anakin, Jacen may get mention, Anakin won't because it is confusing aparently
    5. Constant Warring; The opening scroll can refer to a relative time of peace with minor skirmishes... 2nd Civil War, Abeloth Crisis can be relegated to minor events in galactic history...

10. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Considering that it is nearly four thousand years since the Dark Wars, I think we can forgive one of only THREE times a purge has happened in the many thousands of years of the Star Wars EU, then again I would imagine you'd hate the third one most considering it only takes place around a century and a half after the last one.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't there a semi-purge type thing in Inferno? Or was that a police-type action thing? I remember they were knocking people out with gas.

12. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    ...There isn't anything that can't be ignored. The question is what should not be ignored.

13. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    If that is the one with Krayt's One Sith burning down Ossus and killing half the order, then that is the third one I am on about, admittedly I have read none of the Post-ROTJ EU besides the final Darth Caedus books.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No. That one was in the Legacy comics. I'm referring to something that happened in the LOTF series

15. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Well there are only three official purges: First Jedi Purge of the Dark Wars(KOTOR2), the Great Jedi Purge(Like I need to say) and the Third Jedi Purge(Legacy).

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    There was however an Assault on the Ossus Academy... where alot of trainees and young Jedi who were stationed there died...

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Ossus_(Second_Galactic_Civil_War)
    This is what I was referring to

18. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Ah fair enough.

Regardless, my point remains, in the time between 4,000 BBY and around 130 ABY, only three times have they been 'purged' from the galaxy as a prominent power.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well I said semi-purge. Not a major one

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Because being pacifists, as well as living in a dome city in a desert are totally realistic.

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, the "Purge" we see in Legacy is easily the least thorough of the three Jedi Purges. It's really more of the Sith getting lucky and killing a bunch of Jedi, than actually crippling the Order.

Esg and MasterOfEnlightenment like this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Even the Triumvirate's* pogrom doesn't really compare to Order 66 and the Dark Times when you consider they were hunting a Jedi Order of "less than one hundred". It was the Jedi Civil War (that itself came far too soon off the back of the Great Sith War, while the Jedi were still rebuilding) that did most of the damage, there. There's a reason Palpatine's is the GREAT Jedi Purge and Vader, not Nihilus or Sion, is the "greatest Jedi slayer in history" (WTTE from JvS:TEGttF)

*Though, IIRC, they'd already kicked Traya to the kerb by the time they started purging the Order.... so "Triumvirate" seems inaccurate.

RC-1991 likes this.
  23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I feel as thought the Legacy Purge was more of a Jedi Diaspora

DarthBoba likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think I've explained my point of view more than once back on the TV sub-forum, therefore feel free to try to refute the arguments I've already presented there. And yes, it's much more realistic the way they were presented in the series (which is different from what you wrote).

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Totally realistic.

Esg likes this.