main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EUC Civil War Planning thread: Why is the game dead? Let's try to revive it, people!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Update 7/11 8:15pm: Rules/Character profile thread
    Update 7/12 12:55am: The Main Game thread
    The OOC/GM thread

Okay, everyone, this Civil War is a mess. Some people hate that we're invading threads. Others who like it are frustrated with what a trainwreck it is.

I have a solution. Obviously, what we really want to do is RP properly. But that's not what we do in EUC. Consequently, we've been left with halfbaked picture posting and the like. It's fun, but it's really empty.

Almost every FC here has an RP. They usually do it offsite or in the RPF. The EUC Civil War must follow in their footsteps. It's a tried and true method: especially since the first civil war directly lead to the game WOTG.

War of the Galaxies has been restarted, but currently lacks for players. The best solution to both of these problems is merging our civil war with WOTG. Of course, the WOTG system [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/24153801/p1/?280]as seen here[/link] has some very specific rules. It limits the number of Force users to avoid ridiculously powerful people running around. It's in the classic period. It's an EU that uses the OT background but alters it to be more fun. It has a freeform system that's not based on GM updates, but characters making posts at will and interacting freely--with GMs stepping in to nullify bad posts. It puts a lot of trust in the players because it's not a strict rules based game, but one based on character development and interaction.

That would work best for this war, I think, and the current faction chiefs--AdmiralNick22, The_Loyal_Imperial, and I are in complete agreement that we should host an RP in the RPF.

We're having a bit of a disagreement over the era, which would then influence the factions involved. We're looking for a good RP here, which may not exactly represent the war factions, but we want some matches so that we can use the existing threads as faction bases from which to play the RPF game.

WOTG has always been based in the classic period because we have the most information. Familiar ships, planets, situations, etc. But we don't keep ourselves restricted to the history--Palpy and Vader are gone, so are the Skywalkers. The Vong invaded earlier. Etc. We could do the same thing here, to the point where the Empire doesn't even have the whole galaxy but the galaxy is evenly split along a regional basis.

The alternative is a Legacy period game, but I don't quite like it because there's already one and we don't have much information on it. WE can easily take Legacy aspects and put them in an OT period--like Imperial Knights, a Galactic Alliance, et cetera.

The chiefs are currently discussing this amongst themselves, but we'd like feedback.

Tell us what factions you'd like to see.

Tell us when you'd like the game to be set.

Tell us how you think the galaxy should be split.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll start.

I'd like to see the Empire, Sith, and Alliance as the main factions--possibly the Vong too, to shake things up. I'd like Jedi as well, but in limited numbers.

Classic period AU

The Sith should probably come to arise because when the Emperor and Vader died, they took exception to the new Emperor (me) and his dynasty. They dislike the IK and want to use the Empire as a traditional Sith Empire. They have a few Sith lords, but not hundreds. The bulk of their support is from former Imperial Inquisitors and dark side adepts with limited power, and lots of human thralls. they lack popular support, but they have allied with the Vong invaders to bolster their support.

The Empire should still hold the Core but will have been busy with internal turmoil until the new Emperor (me) has taken the throne. His rule is shaky because of other people who think they have a better claim, and because the Sith have come again. Because of his efforts to stablize the Core and the Imperial command structures, the Rim and Mid rim have been lost to the Alliance and the Sith.

The Rebellion... I'm flexible. Whatever the GFA people want. If they want to be hit and run, fine. If they want to take advantage of the Imperial chaos and establish a real government like the Galactic Alliance or the New Republic, fine.

The Vong should just begin their invasion and still be allied with the Sith to give a sense of urgency to all other factions.

The Jedi should be limited in number but have the ability to turn the tide, as classic era Jedi seemed to. They shouldn't be monkish pushovers, but heroic warriors.

Thoughts?

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Excellent post, Jello. :)

So come on guys, drop in and let us know your thoughts! This is an oppotunity to jump start the Civil War and create one awesome RPG. Your feedback is wanted and appreciated.

--Adm. Nick

4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I agree that this is a total mess, and thus the reason for my absence during the past weeks.

I don't think anyone wants to see threads disrupted or discussions put on hold because of this, nor is the intent to drive away patrons or activity.

With that in mind, the WotG RPG seems like a good idea as it is a nice way to bring some organization to this event and reduce the chaotic impact the civil war has had on the EUC.

I like this idea very much.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    We're currently discussing the RP in an IRC chatroom if anyone's interested. They don't need to download any program or anything, we have a web client for them to use.

Go here and type in an identifier as your nickname, and put in "eucivilwar" for the channel name. :)

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I vote for a Legacy themed game. That would best take advantage of the current themes in the EU Civil War. Plus is allows for more creative freedom.

--Adm. Nick

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm in favor of putting parts of Legacy into the OT period, myself.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ditto.

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks for this, Jello. :) Yeah, OT with Legacy bits sounds good.

10. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    I think we should do something about the Jedi. I'm in a favor for a darker sort, but I don't know how to explain it.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    EU Parliament, please? :p

On a serious note, what about the Exchange? They could form a pretty good faction.

12. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    I vote Legacy era. more suggestions/thoughts later

13. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Empire, Sith Imperium and GFA, as well as neutral. I know I wouldn't play the game If I couldn't play my character as a Templar as that would defeat the whole purpose and make me extremely angry.

Legacy timeline. The Templars have a very deep and dense fandom that wouldn't work as well if the game took place in another timeline.

I agree with Jello about the Sith and Empire. However, the GFA should also have a stronghold of some sort, and there needs to be a neutral side. The Templars wouldn't just randomly join a side without very careful consideration, and they may even switch sides of a couple of times in order to promote their idea of balance.

14. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    Indeed, we're more than willing to come to compromises. Especially with limiting our ship forces, but nearly all of our stuff, be it standard equipment, vehicles, or capital ships is heavily on our own devices. We've worked hard to come up with believable 'stats' for all our stuff. Placing us in an OT or OT with just light legacy era influences would be stripping us of all but our Lightsabers and Robes. We wouldn't even have our temple, and quite frankly that wouldn't be fair. Now we're not going to whine and complain to get everything our way, but it would be nice if we had some consideration for things.

thank you.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Can I ask what influence the era has on your temple? Considering it's mostly AU, I'm not sure where that enters in.

Not all factions will be able to go in whole sale, and a lot of them have had to modify their expected roles. The Empire's going to have to have an even fraction of the galaxy, rather than the whole thing, for instance. That's rather a big deal, but we're taking it.

There's no way to mutually accomodate every group in the EUC without compromises. Let us know exactly how the time period hurts your history or whatnot, and we can figure something out. We need more information before we can do that, though.

16. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    ...I'd enjoy it if we just finished the whole thing up over here.

17. KaraJadeKim

KaraJadeKim Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2008
    I Vote Legacy Era Some NJo

Factions

Sith
    Jedi
    Vong
    Rebels

18. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005

Sith, Empire, GFA, Jedi (if seperate from the GFA), Yuuzhan Vong, Gray Jedi (or what ever the Templars want to call them for purposes of the game), other neutral or independent groups (smugglers, bounty hunters/assassins, Black Sun, etc).

If we are able to do a multi-thread game, we could organize the neutral and independent groups (and possibly the Yuuzhan Vong depending on the size of the faction) into one thread as those groups are most likely going to be smaller. But The Sith, Empire, and GFA should probably have their own threads.

It would be nice to have a central organizational thread as well, for major announcements and where specific galaxy wide events are posted.

I like the OT AU era idea, with Legacy stuff mingled in. I don't really see an issue with why this wouldn't work, and with some creative thinking we should be able to work groups like the Templars and Yuuzhan Vong into the game.

I don't see what difference it makes really, if we do it in the OT all factions will just have to pick OT era ships, weapons, equipment, etc. It is a fair compromise IMO, as the Sith will most likely not be using what we have been using here since it wouldn't really be fair to put Legacy era tech up against OT era tech IMHO. ;)

Either way, to make things balanced I would hope we don't allow non-canon ships, equipment, weapons, etc into the game unless the research and development is done IC and is made believable and realistic to the genre.

Just my $.02. [face_peace]

Don't really care about that much. Since the Sith technically have control of the Senate though, I could see some reasoning as to why they should hold a major share of the territories....with the Empire holding the next largest slice due to the age and loyalty of that faction. Since the GFA is the newest faction, I envision them having a few strongholds, and a good deal of sympathetic planets that support them.

The other neutral and independent groups should also have strongholds, but I don't think they would have much more than that because they are smaller or pacifists.

19. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    I would like to second the notion of adding a criminal organization to the Roster of Affiliation.

I IZ N UR THRED.

20. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    For this game, if we are transfering the fight from here to the RPG, I think we need to losen the restriction of number of Force users. I'm still for a reduction in the number just not what I was reading on the front page of the WOTC.

Factions
    Sith Imperium
    GFA
    True Empire
    Grey Factions
    Fringe/Minor Force Factions/Vong(Ie Jensaarai, Mercenaries filled by people from like the x-wing fan club and zayne fans ect.)

Time Period
    I think it should be a bit like Jello said. Have classic era tech but let some legacy stuff in(non-Tech)

Galaxy Division
    I think it should be tansfer from here. The Sith Imperium is ruling the galaxy, much like Krayt, but there are many factions that are rebeling against it.(GFA, True Empire,) In fact much like the Legacy era but with our own factions as opposed to canon factions, with a couple canon factions thrown in here and there. I believe that the desenting factions do need a stronghold. I do like the idea of the vong invading.

21. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    Will we limit the number of characters per player?

I IZ N UR THRED!

22. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    That is an interesting question. I intend to play a Sith, but it would be kind of fun to play an agent in the Black Sun or other criminal organization as well.

23. Falling_Leaf

Falling_Leaf Jedi Master star 3

Jun 26, 2007

Well of course the ole regular set up, Sith, Jedi, Imp's, Rebels, Pirates, Hunters....and so forth.
    But there needs to be something different to add some sparkle if your going to make this into a rpg. Maybe added some more non-affiliated positions to the mix. This can help some who are apart of more than one group and cannot choose. Maybe a few positions for Pickpockets, Assassins, Mad Scientist, Con Artists, Spy's and maybe even a prankster. Just a thought.

Legacy, it would be the best to incorporate more groups into the mix.

By war of course. :p

The leaders of the groups, and members should be able to pick their sides of the battle field.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    <font face="Book Antiqua" size=6>Update</font>

Factions:
    The main factions will be the Galactic Empire, the Galactic Alliance, and the Sith. Each faction will have sub-factions within it for more customization. Imperials can also be IK, Rebels may also be Jedi, and Sith can be Nightsisters, etc.

There will also be smaller factions under the "neutral" banner.

The Yuuzhan Vong will have just begun their invasion, but we will control their numbers at the start.

Era:
    We will be using the OT period with a short AU backstory so that we can mix in elements from other eras.

Galaxy:
    The Empire will control the Core Worlds and the Colonies, the Sith will have the Deep Core and parts of the Rim. The GA will have parts of the Rim as well. The territory split will be roughly equal. The_Loyal_Imperial will post an update summarizing the map situation.

The Imperial capital and throneworld will be Coruscant. The Sith will operate out of Korriban and/or Byss. The Alliance has chosen Mon Calamari.

Force Users:
    Powerful force users will be limited to faction heads and a few other players. Everyone else seeking to use the Force will have to start as a force-sensitive without powers and will have to show in-character effort towards discovering the Force.

We looked at having a ratio of non-Force users to Force users to limit their numbers based on how many players we have.

Character Sheet:
    We will use a simple character sheet, but people may add more details if they wish.

Characters will be player-created originals and will have actual names rather than board screennames. Allowances for canon characters may be allowed with GM permission, provided the player presents a good reason for why it would be to the game's betterment for that character to be involved and why the player would make an ideal choice.

GMs:
    There will be a Gamemaster Triumvirate consisting of the three faction leaders: GrandAdmiralJello, TypoCelchu, and The_Loyal_Imperial. Their decisions are absolute and they will control the game by approving new ideas and characters. They will be assisted by assistant GMs to be chosen later.

Threads:
    The main game thread will be in the RPF, and pending permission from the RPF mods, we will have a thread for each main game faction.

The out of character thread for gamemaster appeals, questions, and plot discussion will be posted in the EUC.

Fleets and Ships:
    Each faction will be given a limited alotment of ships to be determined by the GMs. They will be a mix of OT and Legacy era ships. Smaller factions and individual players must make do with much smaller ships.

Fleet battles will occur as part of a cohesive storyline that will be partly planned in advance and partly organic based on game events. As this is a character-driven game, battles of any sort (fleet or otherwise) will not be the priority and will occur on a limited basis.

Faction Ranks:
    Just as with Force powers, a few faction members will be given high ranks in order to hold a leadership role and control the faction. Most other players will have a mid-level rank--enough to participate on the galactic scale, but not high enough to make the game too top-heavy, as it is primarily character driven.

Questions/comments/concerns, anyone?

25. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I'm impressed. That was a productive discussion! A good time had by all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.