main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub ~~EUC Jedi~~ The Guardians of Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by CPL_Macja, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Thanks, I will! :)

BultarSwan likes this.
  2. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    JourneymanFett are you still around? I haven't been on nearly as often first off because my laptop broke and secondly because I've been dealing with an infection.

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Sorry I havemt been on in awhile. DRL has been relentless.

4. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'll *yawn* get up a roster update when I'm not so sleepy :p

5. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    The_Zeltron

Jacen Solo's fall is more complex than many people are led to believe. A lot of fellow Jedi and the public in general think his fall is very similar to Vader's. In my opinion, this isn't true. When you start digging deeper into his philosophical views of the Force and what caused him to see the world the way he did, you realize many events factor into Jacen's fall which eventually transformed him into a full-fledged Sith. There was not only one catalyst, but several, and all equally important.

Jacen had an extremely difficult life since the day he was born. He had the psychological disadvantage of being born in an era of war and galactic conflict. His parents were never home; he was raised mainly by a nanny during the first years of his life. Because of these, he was witness to a lot of death and destruction around him without proper guidance, and although he was too young to understand, these events would remain in his subconscious mind to become a catalyst for his fall in the future.

This terribly uneasy childhood prevented Jacen to learn to be at peace with himself and his surroundings. These factors proved to be very significant because he was never satisfied with his life. He believed there was always room for improvement on absolutely everything, and this psychological issue would remain with him for the rest of his life.

Becoming a Jedi was something obviously expected of him, having the lineage of arguably the family of most talented Force-users in the mythos. He expected a lot of himself and of the Jedi Order.
    During his first years as an initiate, Jacen was satisfied with his life as a Jedi trainee, and then as a Padawan. As he grew older and his powers grew with him, his view of the Jedi Order began to change. In his own judgement, the current Jedi Order led by none other than his uncle Luke Skywalker, was too conservative to truly represent what it means to be a Jedi. He felt that the Jedi had lost their original deep connection with the Force, and that now their focus was not the understanding of the Force, but only to serve as peacekeepers. He felt that this view was flawed, and that in order to restore the Jedi Order's greatness, a more liberal view had to be accepted. Since this moment, it is easy to notice that Jacen's attempts to force his personal views on other Jedi (such as his brother Anakin) were a sign of arrogance... A characteristic trait on Jedi who are prone to fall. It is interesting to note, however, that even though it is clear that Jacen was arrogant in this regard, he did not see himself as arrogant or selfish.

His doubts concerning the Jedi ways intensified as more and more galactic conflicts surfaced, and according to him, were not dealt in the best possible way. He wanted Jedi to explore other aspects of the Force which involved a higher purpose than simply battling to uphold peace.
    Then, the Yuuzhan Vong invasion happened. During this conflict, his brother was killed and he was captured by Vergere. Events during his capture are, I believe, another catalyst.

During capture, he was tortured in a lot of ways, mainly because the Yuuzhan Vong view pain as simply part of their every day life and they wanted Jacen to learn their ways... Although, for a Jedi, inflicting pain on others is an act of hate, and a path that will likely lead you to the dark side of the Force. Seeing no other way out of this obscure situation he was in, but knowing it wasn't the Jedi way, he accepted pain not only as his teacher, but as a source of power. He began to thrive on it. Thriving on his own pain and using it as source of power made Jacen less interested on its importance in terms of how the Jedi view such acts... He did so willingly and knowing it wasn't the best solution.

When he was freed and left to explore the depths of a Yuuzhan Vong-converted Coruscant, he experienced rage and anger when slaying dhuryams in order to save slave lives, going as far as slaying a dhuryam he had befriended... Vergere told him that if he killed his friend, he would be betraying himself. He hesitated, but in the end, killed it, with the purpose of saving more lives. Vergere implanted doubt in Jacen, making him unsure if what he did was the right thing to do... In the end, after some mental struggling, Jacen decided he did the right thing, which, ironically, only pushed him further towards the dark path. He killed a friend "for the greater good"... Something we know is characteristic of Sith philosophy.
    Ever since the events of this war, he nourished the idea of "doing sacrifices for the greater good".

Slowly, and due to each of these events I've pointed out, Jacen began to change.

After the Yuuzhan Vong war, Jacen exiled himself from the Jedi, his family and his friends, deciding to learn other views of the Force from different Force-driven cultures... This was the ultimate catalyst: Jacen's ambition to expand his knowledge of the Force and his arrogance in terms of his belief that his view was the only correct one led him to an internal struggle with himself and his life as a Jedi, which caused him to exile himself and awakened an eagerness to learn more about the Force.
    After he returned from his journey, he had learned abilities that no Jedi had learned before and his arrogance and despise towards the Jedi ways grew bigger and bigger. He now fully believed every action and every decision he would make in the future would be for the greater good of the galaxy, and that nothing else mattered if the final goal was "the greater good". This state of mind is correlated with the fact that he always strived for more; he always believed improvement upon the current state of the galaxy was possible (as explained before), and if this improvement involved adopting a very radical view of life, he would accept it without hesitation. Only after years of inner struggles did he achieve this absolute certainty, and it was overly due to these life events which molded him into what he became.
    He was now completely sure that the Jedi ways were flawed. He considered himself independent from the Jedi Order even though he was still considered one by his peers.

This is of extreme importance when analyzing his fall. When he met Lumiya the only reason why Jacen agreed to become a Sith was because he believed it was the only way to do what is necessary for the greater good of the galaxy and that he would be able to resist corruption because his motives were pure. His arrogance didn't allow him to see that he wouldn't be able control his corruption once he started down the dark path.

In order to confirm this, he compared himself with his grandfather to observe if his reasons for joining the Sith were different to Vader's. When he ultimately decided that they were, he was absolutely certain that he wouldn't make the same mistakes he did. Jacen's motives were pure, while Vader's were selfish... But in the end, it didn't matter. As every fallen Jedi does, even those who choose the dark path for the right reasons... Jacen lost his way.

6. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    *gives an approving nod and awaits further comment until the padawan's master critiques*

7. The_Zeltron

The_Zeltron Jedi Master star 6

Sep 29, 2010
    General Valerian

Well-written and very thorough, Padawan.=D= I'm glad to see you understand where Jacen went off course, and why. I also found it of note, when I read about his development as a Sith, that he thought the ultimate sacrifice was that of someone he loved. It shows just how far he had lost his way. I will give you another task in a day or two. Too tired at the moment. :p

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I simply have to disagree with this assessment of Jacen's fall, but I am not going to derail this thread so I am putting it in a spoiler tag.
    If that was what Vergere had indeed taught Jacen, then it might be right, but it sure wasn't what I remember from Traitor. And all of the examples from the NJO people have been posting in Lit don't support that either. Darth Vader II was just as selfish as his grandfather in the sense that he believed he had all of the answers and was the only one who could prevent his visions. Of course, the real cause of Jacen's fall was the fact Denning didn't agree with or understand Traitor. The whole purpose of Traitor was to provide Jacen with an unconventional teacher to guide him down the path to becoming the hero he eventually became in TUF, not this grooming Jacen for Sith apprenticeship nonsense the Denningverse would have us believe.

9. The_Zeltron

Sep 29, 2010
    Zeta1127, are you a part of this order? I don't see your name on the roster. And while I respect that you have a difference of opinion from myself and my Padawan, I don't feel that this is the right place to discuss it. Nor do I appreciate that you have decided to base your argument on your personal opinion of Troy Denning, an author. In future, please do not post negative, preference-based comments on my Padawan's tasks, unless you are indeed a member of the Guardians. If you wish to discuss this further with me or me and my Padawan, please group PM us.

BultarSwan likes this.
  10. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Personally, I haven't put anywhere near that level of thought into Jacen's fall (well, beyond the 'really? Did we need another Skywalker (Solo) Sith?'), but I can't see anything wrong with what Val posted either.

I say he did a good job. Zeta just likes to beat it into peoples heads that he hates anything and everything post-NJO :p

The_Zeltron likes this.
  11. The_Zeltron

Sep 29, 2010
    You tell me, Skywalker, is he a member of the order? Apparently you have to do roster upkeep. :p

12. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Nope. Posted occasionally, but hasn't joined.

13. The_Zeltron

Sep 29, 2010
    Okay, thanks.

So, what are you up to these days. I haven't seen you in a while.

14. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Preparing for (and now am at) my second year of college.

That and spending an inordinate amount of time on the Jedi Draft :p

The_Zeltron likes this.
  15. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Roster update is expected by the end of the day, oh Roster Keeper. ;) Skywalker_T-65 / Lenea_Sandstrider . ;) Sunday it may be, but you've had plenty of time.

16. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll get it up as soon as I can. Wifi is still buggy, and I have an orientation today.

And my room is in the basement of my building, so phone service is ALSO spotty.

17. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    All right.

18. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Grand Masters:
    CPL_Macja: Josch Decinchi – Male Erphae Sentinel Watchman
    BultarSwan: Miria Lahana – Female Firrerreo Consular Seer/Healer

Masters:
    Journeyman1: Voj Velkin – Male Half-Erphaean Guardian Peacekeeper
    Adalia-Durron: Adalia Tehanis - Female Akrianian Sentinel
    PRINCESSCAMBRIA: Cambria Secura – Female Twi’lek Guardian Ace

Knights:
    Chewbacca89: - Allynic Sitan - Male Camaasi Consular
    Skywalker_T-65: Daniel Sandstrider - Male Abydonian Sentinel
    BlueHeron: Dovey Lahana – Female Firrerreo Consular
    The_Zeltron: Gaan Be’orar – Female Mandalorain Guardian
    Mitth_Fisto: Hochner Trevalus – Male Kubaz Guardian
    Runjedirun: Kambie Loother - Female Human Guardian
    JediFalcon: Kasha Sherland - Female Human Sentinel
    Tim Battershell: Tim Battershell - Male Human Sentinel
    Pearlsaber: Hawkon Pearlsaber;

Padawans:
    Rebecca_Daniels: Eira Dryn ; Master: Daniel Sandstrider
    Gotab: Ian Thrace – Male Corellian; Master: Miria Lahana
    General Valerian: Robbie Valerian – Male Human; Master: Gaan Be'orar
    Jedi Master Kenobiwan: Master: Tim Battershell
    JacensGirl: Master: Adalia Tehanis

Initiates:

Friends of the Order:
    Sarge221: Alec Vandel – Male New Alderaanian Consular (New Jedi Order)
    Bardan_Jusik: Beskaryc Taab – Male Mandalorian (Bounty Hunter)
    Lenea_Sandstrider: Lenea Sandstrider – Female Abydonian (Sister of Daniel Sandstrider)
    Whitelight: Seanna Vel – Female Kiffar (Journeyman Knight)
    Awesomejedi

Currently MIA:
    Masters:
    dewback_rancher: Fey-Li Cytei – Female Kuati Sentinel Investigator

Knights:
    T-rex-Jedi: Antar “Silence” – Male Corellian Guardian
    Amon_Amarth: Frida Amarth – Female
    -Remi-: Michael – Male Naboo Consular

Padawans:
    MandoBones: Baatiryc Kyryc; Master: Miria Lahana
    Rainbow Knight Star: Celice Tunaqua – Female Mon Calamari; Master: Hochner Trevalus
    Blue Five: Karbur Livv – Male Shistavanen; Master: Michael
    Risca_Skywalker: Risca Kor’le – Female Mandalorian; Master: Gaan Be’orar
    TheProtocol: ; Master: Gaan Be'orar
    Mister_Master: Jakran Ulda – Male Kuati; Master:Fey-Li Cytei
    JediMaster_1977: Khalifa Sunrider - Female Human; Master: Kasha Sherland
    Padawan4687: Alisha Tano – Female Togruta; Master: Josch Decinchi

Friends of the Order:
    Ryi-Korle-Fett: Ryi Kor’le – Female Mandalorian (Sister of Risca Kor’le)

Initiates:
    Riveroll
    zarkinfrood

This should be the correct roster now. If I missed or messed up anything, let me know and I'll fix it.

Adalia-Durron and BultarSwan like this.
  19. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Looks good to me. Thank-you Skywalker. :)

20. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    Thanks, Master! :) I did put some thought into this.

And that's okay. I'll await your future tasks.

The_Zeltron likes this.
  21. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Just an FYI that I will be gone this week on vacation. Be back around the 26th. :)

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  22. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I don't know how it can be called a vacation when you don't have access to the boards for a week! <.<

23. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Thanks for the heads up Cam. :)

Sarge221 did you know there's a person named Sarge on the boards? :p

24. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Yeah but that's just Sarge. I'm Sarge221! Meaning that there were two hundred and twenty Sarges before me! So where they be? Dead! Yep, I was proven to be the great one so all the others got killed off. There was no need to make anymore after me of course.

Why? Because I'm the best! Best Sarge! Best RPer! Best of Star Wars! Best everything! All agree I'm best, just ask anyone!

*raises arms and red fireworks magically explode above his head*

Can applaud now. No autographs though <.<

BultarSwan likes this.
  25. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.