main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub ~~EUC Jedi~~ The Guardians of Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by CPL_Macja, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Remi-

-Remi- Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 8, 2007
    I do believe I put Shadow Wars in a coma...The first RP I spent time in with more than two posts before ditching period.

When does the rest of the gang start posting this week?

2. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I'll get one in hopefully tomorrow.

Runjedirun likes this.
  3. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I'm just mostly waiting for Rebecca's reaction although I could attempt to create an Alec post sometime after work tomorrow :p

4. -Remi-

Aug 8, 2007
    Heh..Just bored I guess. Don't have anything to do after work is done and over with tonight. Maybe I should spend some of my restlessness on other RPs on top of Shadow Wars. :p

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I wasn't sure I was being waited on... thought I'd give everyone a chance first but I can get a post up soon enough.

6. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
  7. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'll probably get to that during my break between classes tomorrow.

A thought/question for the Jedi just before bed: do you think healing is an inherently light side power? It's something I've been thinking about lately, since Sith and other dark side types have been able to forestall death and bring people back from terrible injuries (blanking on specific examples, but I'm sure this has happened?) but is it the same thing? I've been thinking about this because while in most SW games, healing is a light side power, for balance reasons there is a Sith class that can heal in SW:TOR, which I found really unusual in-universe. Outside of gaming, it'd be a huge blow to the Sith side in the various wars if they couldn't heal their own people. Maybe I'm missing something and it's something we already know and I just missed out on it, idk.

8. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I don't think healing is limited to just the light-side. That makes no sense in my mind. Though I believe there is no such thing as a strictly light or dark-side power.

As for the Shadow Wars, it seems everyone ignores the Caamasi :p

Falcon likes this.
  9. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I agree with Chewbie. Healing isn't limited to the light side or the dark side. All Jedi healers didn't resort to the dark side to heal others.

I would imagine the same rules would apply to the dark side....

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  10. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    When it comes to healing, it is a very rare thing for the Sith to the point where it can almost be considered as nonexistebt. For those Sith who can actually "heal", it is done in a far different manner then a Jedi healer.

When Darth Bane had been poisoned, he had been forced to seek out a healer as, despite his power, he could not establish enough anger and rage to burn it out of his system. Upon finding and being healed by Caleb, he had chosen not to kill him because healing arts were something the dark side significantly lacked and he could use the man later. Even as someone as powerful as Plagueis could do little to sufficiently heal himself during an assassination attempt on his life.

If a dark sider could heal, it was something entirely different. The dark side does not give anything free and if you want its help, it usually requires a sacrifice or something in exchange. Nothing proves this more then abilities like Drain Life whig uses the life force of another to better a Sith Lord. Even when you look right down to it, Palpatine's key to immortality - essence transfer - is really just him forcing his spirit into the body of another.

Really, no matter how powerful the Sith Lord, they always required an alternative when it came to keeping themselves alive and alwayw at a cost. For Bane, it was his orbalisk armor that would threaten to kill him if he ever faltered. For Nihlus and the Sith Emperor, they were forced to consume entire worlds. For Darth Sion, if ever he was slain he could come back to life at the cost of all-consuming pain. During how duel with Revan, Malak would use the life forces of comatose Jedi to keep fighting. Darth Krayt, who had once been trained in the healing arts, showed very little of them when he had turned to the dark side until he learned Cade's own controvereial ability that allowed himself to rid himself of the Vong implants that, like Bane's orbalisks, threatened to consume him.

In short, there only seems to be two ways a Sith can heal themselves: either due to sacrifice or some form of implants or some other prosthetic whether they be cybernetic, Vong, or perhaps Sith Alchemy. Otherwise, if a Sith was injured during battle or poisoned, it was the dark side and his volatile emotions that allow him to keep going. While this could arguably allow any Sith to fight longer and with more ferocity then any Jedi could, they are only ignoring their injuries and straining them usually result in more horrendous injuries. More likely than not, when their emotional high ended, they would eventually succumb to their injuries.

11. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    So this begs to ask the question, are Force abilities or powers innately Dark or Light? Or does the intention in which it is used play a factor?

12. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    This is a complicated issue mostly due to how there are so many factors that can benefit - or disprove - either argument. When it comes to both Light Side and Dark Side powers, a lot of them tend to share a common source in a power that could use for both. Mind Tricks, for example, could allow a Jedi to convince a criminal to drop their weapon (Persuasion) or, if you were Sith, to unleash unimaginable horrors upon an individual's psyche (Horror). Telekinesis can be used to pull an individual out of harm's way or crush his neck. If you want to look at it in a general view such as this, then yes there does tend to be powers that would depend on the user's intentions and not-so much the innateness to the Dark or the Light.

However, that's in a general, broad view that's looking at a criteria of Force Powers rather then a specific power of the category. If you focus on just the power itself, you find one thing that people forget: these are powers that are only effective because they are innately Dark or Light. When a Jedi wants to heal an individual, they are drawing upon compassion and a selfless desire to mend their injuries with the Force which comes from a mastery of the light side and the discipline that you achieve with it. On the other hand, a Dark Side power meant to torture or kill such as Force Choke is only effective because a Sith wants its target to suffer as he is fueled by the raging emotions of the Dark Side.

A common thing I hear is that no matter the power, a Jedi or Sith can use it as long as they don't stray from their own doctrine. This is a mistake because it is only because of their doctrine and their chosen side of the Force that allows them to use these abilities effectively both in its execution and its results. It is not only the Sith's desire to cause a target to suffer with the use of Force Choke but also because the target's suffering allows the Dark Side to breed. An individual who was healed by a Jedi no longer exudes pain and misery and, thus, allows the Light Side to thrive. For a Sith or a Jedi to attempt to do the opposite would only lead to failure or a very weak attempt because they are not in the correct mindset or drawing on the power of the right side to bring the full power of the ability to bear.

13. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Hello Again Master-

Down through the ages the purpose of the Jedi have evolved and adapted within the will of the Force to meet the particular needs of the sentient beings living at that time and in accordance with the relative number of members within the Order. While the individual roles and duties of each Jedi have varied greatly throughout history, the fundamental reasons for their existence have remained as consistent as the Force itself.

The Jedi are the guardians of civilization. They live to protect the weak and defenseless from evil as well at to aid, defend and support all of life so as to remain in its highest potential of balanced harmony. In striving to accomplish this peace, a Jedi must continuously surrender their remaining self-interests to the will of the Force and to those Jedi who have achieved a greater competence in maintaining a constant connection and availability to the Force’s will. By doing so repeatedly, the aspirant increases their capacity to function as an ever-evolving instrument of the Force.

The aspiring Jedi’s heart and mind must be purified from all dark qualities such as arrogance, overconfidence, defeatism, stubbornness, recklessness, curiosity, aggression, external loyalties and materialism. To cultivate this selflessness, the remaining desires must be overcome as well as the temptation to rule others in order to manifest the fullest possible self-control.

The highest mission and goal of a Jedi’s life would be to come as close as they can to merging with the Force while still living, by becoming so completely devoid and free of all negative tendencies and individuality, so as to exist as a living manifestation of the Force itself.

Skywalker_T-65

14. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Well I posted in the game but I'm making sure to post here as well since I didn't properly Tag people. Too big of a crowd and its too late for me to deal with that big hassle :p Gonna go sleep now.

15. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Nighty Night Sarge. Sleep well!

16. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013

Kyp Durron was an ambitious and very powerful Jedi. Surprisingly, it wasn't ambition that caused him to do what he did, it was revenge. A thirst for revenge. That is the difference between Durron and other fallen Jedi. He didn't fall due to ambition and desire for power, he fell due to the extreme anger he felt towards the Empire. By falling to the dark side and committing the atrocities he committed (one of them being the death of his own brother), he eventually realized he was going down a dark path that would only lead him to destruction.

I believe his fall to the dark side was pivotal for him to become the great Jedi he became afterwards. He understood what it meant to be a servant of the dark side, what it meant to take lives and to lose himself in hatred and anger. The fact that he had that experience with Dark Lord Exar Kun's spirit, made him truly realize the absolute evil the dark side respresents, and by learning this he also learned that he never wanted to feel the way he did ever again and commit actions that only damage and destroy people he loves. Had he never fallen to the dark side, he would've never learned what it is to become one with the darkness, he would've never learned that being a Sith/dark Jedi transforms you into something terrible, leaving the risk of falling in the future.
    After his redemption, he matured. He became someone who easily differentiates between right and wrong, darkness and light. He came to the realization that the light side was always the best path, and his sole focus became the absolute defeat of darkness.

Durron would've probably ended up in the High Council eventually, even had he not fallen. But his fall accelerated his maturity process and helped him become a better Jedi in a shorter period of time. He possibly would be a completely different man, as well. So, yes, falling to the dark side was pivotal in his development because it changed him as a Jedi. But if you're meant to remain with the Jedi, as he was, I don't think you could fall very far without coming back to the light.

The_Zeltron likes this.
  17. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey guys i can get up a Shadow Wars post this weekend. Don't think anyone is really waiting on me though :p

18. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Good! But do it soooooonerrrr. :p And how are you doing Chewbie? [:D]

19. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    My post is up! They've been annoyingly short looking though...

BultarSwan likes this.
  20. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Its a good thing that Alec is a patient one because a lesser man would probably start getting annoyed when people keep asking him the same question because no one pays attention to the other half dozen times he's talked about the Ruins!
    ..................Okay so maybe he only had to say it twice :p

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Do it sooner? Sure, why don't you go to work for me then so I can have time to get it done soone :p

I'm fine. You?

22. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Sarge o_O

I'm doing all right. Checking out a new place tomorrow and a bit anxious about it.

23. -Remi-

Aug 8, 2007
    Morning people. :p I'll work up a post soon in Shadow Wars. I'll make it funny.....Had to work the whole department by myself last night.....I'm so tired right now. [face_tired]

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Wanders around the temple contemplating her navel.......as anything else is too much like hard work..

25. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    [face_tee_hee]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.