EUC Thread Closures

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Sreya, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. LordGoldenArrow Force Ghost

star 2
    DarthAttorney,

I agree you shouldn't have a special case. So why not leave them the way they are. Why make the special case of a "haters community". You do not have a special thread for "non haters community" do you?

Are they causing a disturbance? Are they trolling? Is there any reason other than redundancy (which I have to disagree with) to move them?

The real question I'd like to know, who is getting hurt by leaving it where it is? Is someone offended that this group of people are posting? (offended...not disagree with these people)

**edit
    you know after rereading DA's post, it would seem that DA is suggesting that it would be more peaceful for the board as a whole if the hater community was one...and so it would be easier for mods to control and help out if everything was in one place...
    Is that the sentiment behind this? or am i reading to much into it?
  2. jediknight88 Force Ghost

star 6
    I for one agree with DarthAttorney on this. There should be no quarles or members losing freindships if it happens. I think that if the treads are combined as he said, it will lead to more good quality debates, Were people can shed some light to other members that might not have been known. And i migth just bring more members into a bigger group, meaning that there is a bigger comrodery. I think that this i a good idea and should be done.
  3. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If anyone has any other suggestions (aside from leaving them be, that's obvious ) please let me know.

I'm honestly confused here. Why not just leave them be? Is the EUC really that cluttered? I frequent it, and I certainly don't see the problem with allowing established threads such as the MJHC to stick around.

Are all of the fan clubs now going to be lumped under the "Star Wars Fan Club" heading? I fail to see any difference in this whatsoever. If they are not, then lumping the haters threads becomes hypocritical.

JMA
  4. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    They were never meant to be open as long as they have been. Or at least that's how I understand it. No mods bothered with them because they sunk like the mighty titanic. But then they picked up speed. So again, they were never meant to stay open for this long.
  5. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    LGA: That is part of it, yes. The Haters Community caters for negative EU sentiment. This is not to say that all the members who post in there are nasty, hateful people. Quite the opposite. I've read some fantasticaly insightful content in there from a wide variety of users I'd never have thought capable of it (no offence to those people :D ).

The other benefit is that The Hater Community is an ambling thread, where discussion moves from one topic to the next without ever being off-topic. As long as you're posting what you don't like, it's all good. While the topic is Mara Jade, those who don't like Mara Jade can pipe up. When it's Shira Brie, those who don't like Shira can pipe up. People who don't like Mara but do like Shira could pipe up for one and not the other.

It's all quite simple, albeit optimistic.
    As long as people talk about what they don't like and swallow their hostility when someone mentions something they do like. Save that for your fan threads
  6. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They were never meant to be open as long as they have been. Or at least that's how I understand it. No mods bothered with them because they sunk like the mighty titanic. But then they picked up speed. So again, they were never meant to stay open for this long.

That does not change the fact that they are now an established community. A bit late for the mods to be shutting down something that is over 1000 posts, with established conversation isn't it?

I want to ask this again though: What's the difference between Hater and Fan clubs, with the obvious exception of attitude towards the characters in question? I fail to see any whatsoever. So, seeing as how all Hater threads are being labeled redundant, shouldn't all fan clubs be labeled redundant now as well, and lumped under an official "Fan" thread?

JMA
  7. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    That does not change the fact that they are now an established community. A bit late for the mods to be shutting down something that is over 1000 posts, with established conversation isn't it?

Might I remind you that Kadue closed the EUS before and it was going on 7000 replies. I think that was the amount.

I want to ask this again though: What's the difference between Hater and Fan clubs, with the obvious exception of attitude towards the characters in question? I fail to see any whatsoever. So, seeing as how all Hater threads are being labeled redundant, shouldn't all fan clubs be labeled redundant now as well, and lumped under an official "Fan" thread?

If we're going by that logic, then the hater threads would be lumped in with the fan threads. Since they all basically have the same interest. The character.
  8. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If we're going by that logic, then the hater threads would be lumped in with the fan threads. Since they all basically have the same interest.

Except for the fundamental dividing line of attitude towards the character. We have a Mara Jade Fan Thread and Mara Jade Haters Thread. Why not simplify it to it's lowest possible point and have a Fan Thread and a Haters Thread. You can't lump love and hate together, so you take it to the bare minimum of each having their own thread.

JMA
  9. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Except for the fundamental dividing line of attitude towards the character. We have a Mara Jade Fan Thread and Mara Jade Haters Thread. Why not simplify it to it's lowest possible point and have a Fan Thread and a Haters Thread. You can't lump love and hate together, so you take it to the bare minimum of each having their own thread.

Yes, you're right, the attitude is quite different. However, hater clubs are basically the anti-version of fan clubs. Which would in a sense make them a fan club themself. Except for the mood behind it.

Actually you can lump love and hate together. They run on basically the same principles. Love can turn to hate and hate can turn to love.
  10. LordGoldenArrow Force Ghost

star 2
    Well, DarthAttorney, I do see your point. However, it isn't the only point out there. And several of the people who have posted here have posted some very well thought out reasons to not pull the threads into one place.

However, it still seems like that the people who have something negative to say about the EU are restricted to one thread. While the people who have something positive to say can have multiple threads.

11. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Think not of it as negative feelings and positive. I'm pretty sure if there was a gusher community before, all the fan clubs would cease to be today.
  12. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually you can lump love and hate together. They run on basically the same principles. Love can turn to hate and hate can turn to love.

For the purpose of these boards however, I think it can be agreed that lumping the Fan Clubs and Hater Clubs together would be a serious mistake. Can you picture the MJFC and the MJHC coexisting peacefully? I certainly can't.

Haters Clubs and Fan Clubs are the polar opposites of eachother.

Fan Club- Purpose: For people to gather to express their love for a particular character.

Haters Club- Purpose: For people to gather to express their hatred for a particular character.

Individual haters clubs are being lumped together for the reason of being redundant. By this logic, why aren't fan clubs?

JMA
  13. LordGoldenArrow Force Ghost

star 2
    But FDI...you've just made my point.

If you are going to force the "hate" clubs to be one group...then you must force the fan clubs to do the same thing.

Otherwise you would be making a special case. Something the administration cannot do as DarthAttorney said.

14. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Not really. Since the concensus was for the HC before. No such thing was ever proposed for the fan clubs. We had the idea of minimizing clutter before all of this. ;)

One would have to give if they were to try and coexist.
  15. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I am not changing anything. Rather enforcing what already is. The Haters Community has been inexistence since the inception of the forum and we are now enforcing the fact that all negative EU commentary be posted in there.

We are following precedent.

If there had been precedent to conglomerate fan clubs and I thought it would serve the forum then yes, I would merge them together. However, the forum was designed partially to accomodate those fan clubs. I agree that there are probably too many fan clubs for bit-part characters but Fan Clubs are part of the reason for EUC's existence.

Edit: mark-ups [face_blush]
  16. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree that there are probably too many fan clubs for bit-part characters but Fan Clubs are part of the reason for EUC's existence.

Shouldn't Haters Clubs be as well?

JMA
  17. jediknight88 Force Ghost

star 6
  18. LordGoldenArrow Force Ghost

star 2
    "We had the idea of minimizing clutter before all of this."

So is this really just about minimizing clutter?

19. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The Haters Community is the EUC extension of Haters threads at the forums inception.

Nobody is debating the validity of hating an aspect of the EU. It's simply a matter of location of of that sentiment within the forum that I am correcting.

:)
  20. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    DA-

I understand your reasoning perfectly, I assure you. *shrug* I just don't agree with it. I know that doesn't change anything, but there you have it. I feel it is a fairly large double standard.

JMA
  21. LordGoldenArrow Force Ghost

star 2
    Just because something has been a certain way for a long time does not make it the right way to do things.

22. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It worked for a long time and I believe it should be the chance to work again.

:)
  23. LordGoldenArrow Force Ghost

star 2
    Wait...is the current system NOT working?
    (and just because it worked...does NOT mean it was right or fair. Working and being correct are two totally different things. I should know. I do that for a living. Determine if things work and are correct)

Why change for change's sake?
  24. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    For the benefits I outlined above.
  25. LordGoldenArrow Force Ghost

star 2
    but other people have also outlined benefits to keep it the same. Why should their opinion be ignored?

And it still does not change the fact that it is NOT fair. (and yes. This world is not a fair place. but as someone has already posted here...this isn't real life)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.