main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EUC Thread Closures

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Sreya, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    I also feel condensing all the "Hater" threads in the EUC is a mistake. By their very nature, emotions tend to run high in those threads, and making them coexist in one thread is likely to cause some serious conflicts. I also disagree that their redundant just because they're "Hater" threads, and even if they were, this seems like a serious case of "over-Moderation."

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I've commented on this decision before but I'll say it here that it is a foolish decision to close the Hater threads. This is just a reaction to Mara fans who dislike the MJHC and want to see it closed down. If you want to close down the Hater clubs and anti-EU clubs in the EUC, then you should also do the same to the anti-prequel, anti-GL threads that have exploded all over the movie forums. But that will never happen.

Blame someone else other than the policy or your own bad behavior? How typical. There are differences between the movie forums and the EUC.

BTW, Fire Ice Death, since TF.N is going to close the MJHC anyway, what does it matter if the thread keeps getting up by posting "Mara Jade sucks!" The only reason it's grown "stale" is because TF.N decided they didn't want it up anymore. Kinda drained some of the conversation right there.

Not really. The MJHC is suffering from their own folly. There is only so much you can do with a hater thread. Same with fan clubs. They both get stale after a while.

I also feel condensing all the "Hater" threads in the EUC is a mistake. By their very nature, emotions tend to run high in those threads, and making them coexist in one thread is likely to cause some serious conflicts. I also disagree that their redundant just because they're "Hater" threads, and even if they were, this seems like a serious case of "over-Moderation."

Wasn't it the EUDF the reason why we merged hater threads together? And now you don't want it anymore? That's a very big shift in opinion.

3. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    The only reason it's grown "stale" is because TF.N decided they didn't want it up anymore.

I'm sorry but I have to take issue with that statement. The only reason it's grown stale is because the bashers (most of them, anyway) ran everyone off who disagreed with their point of view. There was no debate. No back-and-forth discussion where everyone learns something. Just a group of people agreeing on how much Mara sucks. There's not much you can do with "Mara sucks!"

Take the past day or two, for example. It's gotten much more interesting in there, with Obi-Wans-Love-Child discussing the reasons you hate Mara and the examples of how she is a bad character. Why? Because OWLC doesn't agree with your assertion that Mara sucks. It's going back and forth, with some points being conceded, and others being defended.

It's intellectually stimulating just to read. I can just imaging what it feels like to partake in such a discussion.

As I said before, if that kind of discussion continues, I say leave it open.

EDIT:
    This is just a reaction to Mara fans who dislike the MJHC and want to see it closed down.

Try telling that to the people who used to post in the ATF thread. Hater Clubs aren't the only ones that were closed.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Don't talk to the EUC Mods about the Movie Forums. They don't have jurisdiction.

Yes and no.

I used to be an AOTC and 3SA moderator, and I still lock the occasional thread in those forums. However, I rarely visit those forums to discuss anything anymore, which means that I don?t often look into those forums, and was becoming ill-qualified to deal with problems appearing in those forums. And so I removed myself from the list of moderators for those forums.

As EPIII approaches, I?ll probably start spending more time in 3SA again, and I?ll add myself back to the list of moderators for that forum. The official lists are as much so we the moderators can keep track of whether or not a forum has adequate monitoring as anything else. If Mod X started spending time in Literature, locking threads and resolving problems, they could add themselves to the list of persons moderating the forum and no one would make a fuss. However, Mod X would be expected to keep track of happenings in the forum and to show an opinion on any suggestions made about the forum in the Mod Squad.

Basically, out jurisdiction tends to be what we make of it. I can?t go into TPM and start setting policy. But I could spend a couple of months there, and over time I would influence the policy.

5. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Not really. The MJHC is suffering from their own folly. There is only so much you can do with a hater thread. Same with fan clubs. They both get stale after a while.

That is your opinion. The MJHC is suffering because TF.N didn't want to deal with it's critics and decided to get rid of it. The thread had exsisted since April 2001 yet only now, when business really began to pick up it was closed. Hmmmm....

I'm sorry but I have to take issue with that statement. The only reason it's grown stale is because the bashers (most of them, anyway) ran everyone off who disagreed with their point of view. There was no debate. No back-and-forth discussion where everyone learns something. Just a group of people agreeing on how much Mara sucks. There's not much you can do with "Mara sucks!"

I've seen EU gushers on other threads do far worse.

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    That is your opinion. The MJHC is suffering because TF.N didn't want to deal with it's critics and decided to get rid of it. The thread had exsisted since April 2001 yet only now, when business really began to pick up it was closed. Hmmmm....

Let me guess, the truth is out there too, right?! *eye roll.gif*

Actually, the thread sunk back in april '01. Hence it didn't need to be locked. But someone upped it and the purists and haters started flooding it.

Last edit: And if it's purists who mainly post there, I personally don't think they deserve their own place in the Expanded Universe Community.

7. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I don't think you think they deserve it in any case. If you use the logic you just mention, you should make sure the movie bashers don't have their own anti-movies thread in the movies forums.

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I don't think you think they deserve it in any case. If you use the logic you just mention, you should make sure the movie bashers don't have their own anti-movies thread in the movies forums.

No, the idea is perfectly simple. The EUC is for people who like the expanded universe and don't call it the 'exploited universe' or treat it as fanfiction. At least that's my personal opinion. The bashers of the movies are different. Well if purists are going to treat the EU like crap, why give them space to spread their venom?

9. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Last edit: And if it's purists who mainly post there, I personally don't think they deserve their own place in the Expanded Universe Community.

Everybody deserves their own place within the Expanded Universe Community, F_I_D, as long as they are polite. The purists who post in the MJHC, at least to my knowledge, have been lodging genuine grievances against her as a character and against the writers who bring her into existence. They haven't been marching in saying "The EU sux! Down with Zahn, Stackpole, and all the fanboys!"

Until they act in a disrespectful fashion, they deserve their place just like everyone else. It's the Expanded Universe Community, not the Those Who Like the Expanded Universe Community.

JMA

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    They have been disrespectful to other members though. That's the point. And a couple of them have been warned or banned for such behavior.

11. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    So a couple bad apples should be the basis by which a new precedent is set, and ruin it for the whole bunch?

JMA

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    So a couple bad apples should be the basis by which a new precedent is set, and ruin it for the whole bunch?

That's how it usually works. ;)

13. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    Oh...

Well pardon me for a second, I have something in my throat.

*cough*b.s.*cough*

;)

JMA

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    No cussing.... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.