1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

NSWRPF Archive Europe In Flames: A Napoleonic Wars RPG

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Deiskrad, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deiskrad Force Ghost

star 2
    As far as I know, this is going to be the boards first ever Napoleonic Wars RPG. I am debating on when in the Napoleonic wars to begin this RPG. I have several ideas, but I want to know what people will want to do. If you have an idea, email or PM me.

There were 5 principle combatants in the Napoleonic Era. They were The First French Empire (which included Modern-day Holland and Belgium, and parts of Northern Italy), The United Kingdom (including Ireland), The Austrian Empire (A combination of the modern states of Austria, the Czech republic, Slovakia, and parts of Romania and Serbia) Prussia (North Eastern Germany, including parts of Poland) and the Russian Empire (Russia, including Byelorussia, Ukraine, The Baltic States, and Poland). If there are any questions on political boundaries PM me or do five minutes research on the web.

The United States of America was only nominally involved in the war, as it traded with both France and Britain. It favored France, since the British were still somewhat of a threat to US sovereignty, But US involvement was only diplomatic until 1812 when the Impression of US merchant ships into the Royal Navy sparked the so-called ?War of 1812?. So if any players wish to be American, they will not be actively involved, unless there is a drastic change in United States policy.

As this is an RPG of a strong political and military bend (with a glimmer of economics as well, which will probably come into play later) much of the RPG will focus around cutting deals, making allies, making treaties, and using force to back them up or destroy an enemy. Politics will be handed interpersonally between characters with authority to broker such agreements (Emperors, kings, Presidents, etc. as well as their ambassadors and certain members of their staff). In rare instances, conventions and treaties are handled by military personnel if the fighting is occurring so far away from the central government that only they have the realistic local authority to broker peace. Military matters, of course, are handled by the armed forces of the nations and their leaders. In some cases the political ruler of a nation is also a military ruler, though this is the exception and not the rule.

Resolution of a military conflict, as with many things in life, does not boil down to simple figures. Nor shall it in this RPG. During the Napoleonic period, armies ranged from being supremely well organized and led to being a complete rabble with a non-central command. I am going to assume that everyone playing this game will have a nation that supports a well-armed and organized army, and possibly navy as well. However, resolution of military engagements will not be a thing of numbers. Often as I can, I will attempt to provide links of maps of the terrain and surrounding areas. If I am unable to find maps of the area, I will wing it as best I can with description. Any players who have the ability to make maps of their deployment and plan of attack or defense would be greatly appreciated. PM me about it.

During this time, use of the armies of the various nations literally replaced meaningful diplomacy for years. As such, armies grew to megalithic sizes (for that time anyway) in tremendous battles for the future of Europe. These figures exclude support personnel. The basic structure of the army was as follows:
    Army:
    Of varying sizes, but rarely less than 50,000 fighting men. Typically, by the end of the Napoleonic era, armies were often in excess of 150,000 men. The fabled Grand Armee of Imperial France exceeded 250,000 on paper, although it was probably closer to 230,000 upon its entry into Russia in 1812. Even after the crippling defeat in Russia, the Grand Armee was quickly reconstituted back to its original strength in time to participate in the Battle of Nations (Leipzig) in 1813. Depending on where in the Napoleonic Era we begin will determine the sizes of the armies drawn from each nation. Armies usually contain large numbers of each arm of the service: Artillery, Cavalry, and Infantry. If organized competently, a
  2. Morkai Jedi Knight

star 3
    GM Approved

Name: Lachlan Cameron
    Nationality: Scotland
    Branch of Service: Infantry
    Higher Learning:
    Special Skills: extremely skilled with the basket hilt broadsword favored my his people. Is a talented if unexperienced tactican and leader
    Brief Biography: Second son of the Chief of the clan Cameron, Lachlan entered the military to head a newly formed regiment of his Clansmen, the Cameron's being noted among the highlanders as "fiercer than fierceness itself" made ideal Soldier's, Scottish highlanders having a long history of providing the backbone of british infantry, being inured to hardships and the terrain of their homeland making them natural warriors and athletes. His regiment is formed snd fully trained.
    Personal Items: (let?s keep it reasonable)
    Full highland military uniform (kilt etc)
    basket hilt broad sword, pistol, pipe and tobacco pounch.
  3. sword_of_raditz Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    --GM APPROVED--

Name: Vedemir Lurshov
    Nationality: Russian
    Branch of Service: Russian Artillery
    Higher Learning: Major in Language (knows Russian, French, German, and a small amount of English)
    Special Skills: Organization, Leadership
    Brief Biography: Vedemir was born to a small noble family south of Petrograd where he became an expert in linguistics. He showed some promise as a politician but had no opportunities to express it. For the sake of keeping his country safe he joined the army at the rank of an officer.
    Personal Items: Small Red Journal
  4. Deiskrad Force Ghost

star 2
    OOC: Well, some good RPG's have started with fewer players. Any other takers out there?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.