main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

European (especially your country's) bands you like

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by Mara, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    What european bands do you like? Don't be shy about talking about local talents, the main point talking about our own countries' bands is so that others may say if they know/like them or not. [face_peace]

From my country (Portugal) I especially like Madredeus and Moonspell. I also like Clã among other bands.

From other countries in europe, I love Nightwish and The Gathering.

2. EsperVeum

EsperVeum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2004
    From France, where I come from, there is this good band called Härskar. It's a one-man band, he plays something between rock, folk and black metal, with a lot of grooves.... He has a demo released and downloadable from the website. Check it out!

But my all-time favorite band comes from Sweden: In Flames, melodic metal band who've released their 7th album this year.

Other than metal, I listen to a lot of folk/celtic music like Lord of the Dance, The Levellers, etc.

By the way, Moonspell are amazing, I've seen them in concert a couple of months ago but I didn't know them much.... I was impressed.

3. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Germany: "Sportfreunde Stiller", "Die Ärzte", Die Toten Hosen", "Dick Brave and the Backbeats"

Other Euro: "The Rasmus" (The old stuff!. I love the "Hell of a Collection"-Album)
    "Kent" ( Don't understand a word, but that's ok ;) )

4. EsperVeum

EsperVeum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2004
    Other Euro: "The Rasmus" (The old stuff!. I love the "Hell of a Collection"-Album)

Nice. I should check some out then, I've only heard "Dead letters" that I like (In The Shadows is in my opinion the most kick ass pop song ever)

Finland really have some good bands: Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Sentenced, Sinergy, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Fintroll, Korpiklaani... All very good. Check them out.

5. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Janne, Kent is one of my favorite bands... and don't worry about not understanding what they're singing, even *I* have trouble understanding their lyrics sometimes! ;)

Very very weird lyrics, but often very good too. :)

6. Jaina_Mirax

Nov 25, 2000
    The Rasmus have a covered version of "Ghost Busters" on "Hell of a Collection"! It's so great! Reminds me of childhood days ;)
    I enjoy the old songs, because they are more ska/punk than the new ones. The new stuff is ok, but is is too much money oriented (what does the audiencs like, how do we earn more money?)

The KENT album I got is Vapen & Ammunition.

Btw. Enji: The german band "Die Ärzte" have a song called "Jag älskar sverige" on their new album. It's hilarious. You have to know that they hardly have serious lyrics. some of the lines are:

(roughly translated: I'd really like to be in sweden right now, 'cause every swede dances and sings all the time. when the sun ist shining and its 40 degrees...oh sweden is the most beautiful country in the world with palm trees on the beaches...
    ..everything is different there... i think because the mangos and flowers bloom... but every 2nd or 3rd year there is a famine, I give a lot o help, usually rice-do I get the Nobel prize....?

i think thats enough, eh? ;)

7. Darth_Fizyk

Darth_Fizyk Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2003
    From Poland, I like Kazik and Kult. Myslovitz is quite good too :)

From other European countrys, I like Apocalyptica (it's my favorite band :D) and Moonspell...

8. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    Oh, I forgot to mention Apocalyptica in my previous post. They're great. :)

9. Enji

May 14, 2002
    LOL Janne, that sounds like a hilarious song.. [face_laugh]

Vapen & Ammunition (Weapons and Ammunition) is a great album, with really weird lyrics. I think my favorite is in Socker (Sugar) when they sing about Jesus... translates sort of like this: Jesus, when he's taken heroin, he's tasting his glass, and Ramlösa (a swedish mineral water) turn to wine, and he tells about his weapons, his time in San Tropez, about giving yourself a chance now, and his new Z-3, in a world of idiots, he's standing first in line, he's telling the camera, about how he changed gender...

And so on. Very very weird lyrics. And extremely hard to translate, it sounds better in Swedish. ;)

My favourite swedish band is a punk group called Ebba Grön, though. They only existed for a few years in the late 70s, early 80s, but they were so great. :D

10. Jaina_Mirax

Nov 25, 2000
    I love Ramlösa! especially the one with lemon flavour!

11. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Back in the day there was this band called Scorpians from Germany that were popular all over the world. They still tour but I prefer them in their hay day(1980's).

12. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Scorpions? The guys with Winds of Change? My dad likes them... :D

13. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    That's about right Enji, you probably were learning how to walk when Scorpians were popular... :p :)

14. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Probably. But on the other hand I wasn't even born when most of the bands I like were popular... ;)

(I'm a sucker for 60's music...)

15. Jaina_Mirax

Nov 25, 2000
    I just saw the Scorpions a couple of weeks ago. They performed one of their new songs on stage during the Eurovision Song Contest at the Hamburg Reeperbahn.

They sucked... playback! All the others performed live. They didn't. But I admit that I like "Wind of change"

16. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    That is my take on Scorpians now, they were great back in their "glory days" but now days they aren't the same in concert.
    Another european band I love is Iron Maiden from England. Now they have been around for 28 years and last concert I went to in Ohio they still rocked!! Leave it good ole' Bruce Dickinson to get the crowd going!! =D=

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I really love Winds of Change, but that's about what I've heard from Scorpions.

Well one my favourite bands is Swåp, which is a Swedish-Irish folk group, mixing traditional Swedish and Irish music, and it sounds great.

18. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Yeah! Iron Maiden are GREAT! :D I've never seen them live, though... :(

Hmm, we need a headbanging smiley here... :p

19. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    Here in Sweden there is a popular song called "Ingen vill veta var du köpt din tröja" (Translation: No one wants to know where you've bought your sweater).

I think it's great, so Swedish in a way. The group is called Raymond och Maria.

20. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Hmm, we need a headbanging smiley here LOL that would be nice! :D

I have listened to bands from France, Brazil, Ireland, England, Scotland, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Jamaica, and more but I don't remember ever listening to Swedish music, I'll have to give it a try. :)

21. MARCOLAS

MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer star 6

Apr 3, 2001
    I really like Scorpions, I have 5-6 albums. The one with Berlin Philarmonic Orchestra is one of the best :)

I don't really listen to French music. I listen to bands from UK mostly : Genesis (I saw Phil Collins a couple of days ago), Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, U2, the Corrs, Sting and so on

22. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Hmm, now I feel bad, TurnedJedi, I haven't heard that song... [face_blush]
    But I never listen to music on the radio or so, so I'm really clueless about new popular music... I prefer listening to my records. :)

Lady_Lucas, I'm sure you've at least heard some swedish music... ever heard of ABBA? ;) Of course, can't really say that they are typical swedish music, but then, what is? Maybe the folk music... I like swedish folk music, although I don't have any albums or so. But every summer my dad and I use to go to some folk music fairs here and listen to the people playing. It's very nice. Fiddle and guitar and accordion, and the wonderful "nyckelharpa" (I don't know the english word, it's a very special instrument with a wonderful sound). :)

23. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    Enji, you can go in on their website and see the video.

Jag lovar, även om du inte tycker den är bra så lär du ha en åsikt om den... :)

24. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    The one with Berlin Philarmonic Orchestra is one of the best Marc, I agree with you I love that also!!! [face_love] As for french music, I like music from the 1920's and 1930's. That old traditional jazz sound with french lyrics. More currently there is a band called Mass Hysteria in France and they rock pretty hard!

Enji, of course I have heard of Abba! :D I was thinking more along the lines of Swedish folk music as you mentioned. I would like to hear what it sounds like. :)

25. Enji

May 14, 2002
    I'm just checking out that website now, TurnedJedi... :)
    Åsikt kommer sen när jag sett videon ;)

Lady_Lucas, I wish I could point you to some site or something with swedish folk music so you could here some examples, but unfortunately I don't know of any. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.