main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate European ultranationalists!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Iello, it would be highly unusual if the Iranian embassy in Rome didn't have an awareness of what the Italians intended.

Chyntuck, I have a few times articulated a point and I linked to a Der Spiegel piece where German feminists Alice Schwarzer and Anne Wizorek debated the attacks in Cologne.

I mention this, and link the post, since you obviously didn't read it.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/european-ultranationalists.50018610/page-23#post-53190842

I'll let Schwarzer make the points since you may actually listen to her:

Schwarzer: The debate over sexual violence has re-emerged as a result of that night in Cologne. Even Germany's justice minister, who for years allowed necessary reforms to tighten Germany's rape laws torot in a drawer, has pulled them out again. But when you only speak using generalizations, you run the danger of denying the specific. In recent decades, millions of people have come to us from cultural groups within which women have absolutely no rights. They do not have a voice of their own and they are totally dependent on their fathers, brothers or husbands. That applies to North Africa and that applies to large parts of the Middle East. It isn't always linked to Islam. But since the end of the 1970s, at the beginning of the revolution in Iran under Khomenei, we have experienced a politicization of Islam. From the beginning, it had a primary adversary: the emancipation of women. With more men now coming to us from this cultural sphere, and some additionally brutalized by civil wars, this is a problem. We cannot simply ignore it.

But if we keep denying that there are problems with some male immigrants, then we will just drive the people into the arms of the right-wing populists. Without the ignorance or the trivialization on the part of all the political parties, there would be no Pegida or Alternative for Germany.

Even stricter rape laws wouldn't have done anything to stop the crimes in Cologne. Groping, a trivializing word, isn't even a prosecutable offense yet.

2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    GrandAdmiralJello Well that's the thing, nudity is nudity whether it is dressed up as "art" or not, and for some, nudity is sinful and bad and not something to be associated with. I don't see any difference between covering up nudity and not serving alcohol in terms of protocol. But I think it is a good question as to why they chose the musuem as the venue in the first place. I guess nobody really considered that anyone would have a major problem with boxing up a few nude statutues. I guess they learned a lesson!

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I think maybe the PM should have actually, you know, asked Rouhani's people if they wanted the statues removed or if he might actually want to see the things that you go to a museum for. It's silly more than it is deeply offensive, but still. I mean, maybe they did ask. The whole thing seems a little slapdash.

As for the swimming pool issue... As Yankee says, it's pretty clearly discriminatory and I take his word for it that it's against German law. But I think there's also a reason you're only seeing this is one town and not anywhere near Berlin (which, as Ender pointed out, is already a very multicultural city). People in this town are probably not as used to seeing people of color daily and so when some of these new folks in town are behaving badly, it's easy to overreact.

Some personal perspective... In my experience, there are more Hispanic young men (especially ones who haven't always lived in the US) who will chat up and catcall women than there are white or black or Asian men who will do the same (at least of the cultures in SoCal. As I've already mentioned, Italian men are often the same). Machismo culture is real. However, as someone who lives in Southern California, I realize there are also far more Hispanic men who won't do this. Because I have a large sample size, I can realize a higher frequency is not the same thing as "everyone" or "most". But in Missouri where I'm originally from, there aren't very many Hispanic people at all. So if there were a sudden influx of immigrants and some were harassing women, I'm sure there would be a more discriminatory reaction there. As usual, a lot of racist and discriminatory behavior just depends on how much actual contact you've had as a person.

I don't think at all that Germany is turning into a Nazi country. I do, however, realize that an influx of immigrants to places that have had somewhat less diversity will also often create opportunities for the true far-right groups to cause trouble and to draw in a section of the population that is freaked out and uncertain, even if those reactions are fairly normal. But on the whole, Germany is indeed the country that's actually been overall welcoming people in. Even though people are justifiably worried about many practical questions of how you do this.

So as for the pool... I really think this is an example of why ID cards are needed for refugees and migrants. Because they allow you to identify and treat people as specific individuals. Have you, person with your name and picture ID, never harassed a woman at the pool? Great, come on in! Have you specifically harassed women there? Sorry, you are now banned.

To me, this is no different than any public pool. At least here in the US, one can certainly be banned from such a place for bad behavior, regardless of skin color or anything else.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I would assume because Hassan Rouhani is a former academic and scholar that they felt it would be appropriate..?

EDIT: SJ. The PM's office will have 100% liaised with the Iranian Embassy in Rome. Someone there will have been aware of, requested, or approved the decision. Trust me.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, one would assume so. It just makes me wonder why on earth they selected the museum in the first place. It's just strange.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course the Iranians were aware. I know how much coordination and legwork goes into these receptions. I'm just confused why it was used as a venue if it's not to highlight what's there? Italy has plenty of museums so it's odd that one that's specifically dedicated to antiquities would be used, given what those antiquities look like. I mean, there are other venues right there on the Campidoglio :p

Like I said, my conclusion was that it's silly. And just because all the usual diplomatic protocols were followed doesn't mean it's not a head-scratcher.

Edit: setting aside the nudity versus alcohol thing, because I don't know that it's equivalent when one thing is *part of the venue* and another thing is served on a menu.

It's not like the Italians said "forego ordering naked people for this dinner service." Berlusconi's no longer in office, after all :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't think the problem is that there's nude statues being covered up. I think the problem is that there's people who take offence at nude statues.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but in this instance it sounds like the First Secretary at the Embassy suggested in order to not offend, any nudity should be covered up. Given Hassan Rouhani's philosophical and reformist bent, plus the gifts he gave the Pope, antiquities and history seem to be interests of his.

Any point where a HOS or Minister visits, the office of the PM/President will coordinate with the Embassy of that country. Usually the most senior diplomat (the ambassador is oft a political appointment so they wouldn't be involved in day to day operational stuff), who takes charge of liaison with the home country.

It is unheard of for, say, the State Department to liaise with the counterparts overseas. The embassy of the country in question would do this.

So Iranians approved or requested it. I'm not sure which but it was one of the two.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  9. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Just not those aspects of antiquities and history which involve the display of breasts or male genitalia it appears. So pretty much nothing to do with Italy :p

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the problem is that people care. If someone, theoretically, was offended by this:

[​IMG]

What's the harm in changing to this?
    [​IMG]

Especially if, unlike in the situation I've taken as a parallel, you were talking about a one time occurrence made out of deference to a guest? At that point, it becomes an issue of basic civility.

11. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yeah I believe the photo risk also played into it as per the above photo. Not a good look for the folks back home.

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Not sure Rouhani would let breasts and male genitalia stand in the way of aid to the Shiite people.
    His position on nudity should be completely ignored, discarded as irrelevant and quaint.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's cool guys, you've also had lots of experience in diplomacy.

I've no doubt that Mr Rouhani had no input to this decision. Iranian diplomats and bureaucrats did.

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Somebody should breast-feed next to him

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Superwatto, I thank you for the advice from the Donald Trump school of diplomacy. For the rest of the world, where diplomacy is not about intentionally embarrassing or belittling visitors, I don't see the worth of your position. You are literally trying to alienate people who feel differently than you. Why? What's the point?

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, it would be remiss of me not to point out that's been America's diplomatic position for years.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Watto, in principle I might agree with you, especially for domestic or Western officials. What John Ashcroft did was ridiculous.

However, I'm far more sensitive to diplomatic realities. You shouldn't go out if your way to antagonize when sensitivity costs so little. But that's why I'm confused by this choice of venue, because it seems a silly thing. Ender said Rouhani has a known interest in antiquities (what did he give the pope?) -- that sheds considerable light on why they chose the Capitoline Museums. There are still other options for avoiding nudity -- plenty of archaeological museums without this kind of statuary -- but I can at least see their reasoning now.

The Capitoline Museum is a better venue than say, the Ara Pacis (and there's nudity there too -- hard to find classical art without any).

That said I still have some discomfort with the whole thing. It's like I have two different sensibilities at war with each other. The basic answer is the one that avoids making an incident for no good reason and shows respect for a foreign delegation but I just have a sensitivity for cultural heritage (as opposed to contemporary things like, again, wine service.)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: Ender given your admiration for French laicite, what's your take on France taking the complete opposite approach to Italy on this?

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    To a regrettable extent, it does. That doesn't mean that there aren't voices advocating to change it. Or that we should give Superwatto a pass for arguing others should not only join in but double down.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd distinguish between foreign policy (political) and protocol (civil service) tho. Is it your observation that the US State Dept is not a good host?

I mean I'm pretty appalled that POTUS tends to wear black tie for most state dinners these days, and lounge suits for meeting heads of state... I still remember when even the likes of Reagan wore morning dress for meeting with foreign leaders.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Wonderful what a change of face can do in a dictatorship.
    I don't think anybody would have objected to boobs behind Ahmedinejad. In fact, I think they would have objected to his coming in the first place.

You've been duped by classic Machiavellianism.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Um, look - I think France was wrong. I think as a host, decorum dictates that you accommodate the wishes, preferences and tastes of your guest. However, we are a little more... well rounded in the diplomatic game than a number of developing nations. You would not expect to have wine served at an official function in an "Islamic" state, even if the guests might prefer to drink it.

It's just a set of rules for a Game, really, and I think France was taking a curiously silly stance. The advantage of being a stronger state is you can be more flexible and accommodating - that's why we do it.

EDIT: Watto, you know I used to do this stuff for a living right? I know how diplomatic visits go. Rouhani had no input to this.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The President of Iran is not a dictator.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Okay, cool. Glad to know that. I happen to agree (again, for the most part) with all of this and the reasons for it. Just a little sensitive to any notion of censoring Western culture. Unlike most of the blow-hard commentators, I actually have a heartfelt interest in this. :p

But I agree with you in the broader sense which is why I think I'd have thought it better to go with a different venue where this didn't come up, and then just privately offer Rouhani a tour or something sans photo ops.

France came across as petulant and churlish. Italy comes across as silly, but silly is better than rude. At least, outside the babble of commentators.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm sure that will be almost verbatim the official conclusion in the inevitable report which will accompany the firing of the most junior diplomatic people after this fracas dies down.

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    ES, I understand Rouhani was probably not involved in any of these decisions. Guy, I understand he's not the dictator.
    But both: he's a representative of an extremely repressive regime.

But okay, I'll grant you that it would have been much wiser to just receive the man elsewhere.