main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Eurovision Song Contest 2013

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi Anne , May 14, 2013.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So it's time for the glorious event that is the Eurovision Song Contest. This year it's hosted in Malmö, Sweden. Sweden won last year.

39 countries are participating this year, personally I'm going to miss Bosnia-Herzegovina since they always send interesting things but not this year. The contest will have two semi-finals. 33 countries will take part iin the semi-finals. The top 20, ten from each semi-final, go on to the final together with the big five and the host Sweden. (the big five are the countries that give the most to the Eurovision budget and are therefore always included in the final).

The whole contest kicks off tonight with semi-final 1 and in this round we will see one of the favorites of this year, Denmark's "Only Teardrops".

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Austria is up first. Not particularly fond of the song, but it's certainly an improvement over last year's entry.

The intro show is on now, they just showed Celine Dion. Boy has she had alot of "work" done

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    What's the point since Terry Wogan stopped commentating? :p

4. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Starting off with two bland ballads, compared to that Slovenia sounds a lot more exciting. Too bad the singer has problems hitting the notes.

5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Montenegro has my vote.

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    do they sing the same song in the semi and the final?

7. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    yes, it's the same performance in the semi and the final.

So far Denmark has the best song, the Netherlands the best chorus, Moldova the best show and Montenegro is the big "what where they thinking?"

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i thought so.

not gonna watch the semi then, won't spoil myself for the traditional Eurovision drinking contest on Saturday.

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I actually think that the semi-finals are funnier, before they weed out the worst/funniest entries.

yankee8255 likes this.
  10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    It was nice of the other countries to lend the Cyprus singer their wind machine.

I'm assuming people vored for Moldova's dress. Stunning that neither Serbia nor Croatia advanced. And totally expected that Austria are headed home early again.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Serbia was better than Belarus. I picked eight out of the 10 that went through to the final, I didn't think that Estonia and Belarus would go through.. And here are the finalists from semi-final 1.

Denmark
    Ukraine
    The Netherlands
    Lithuania
    Moldova
    Ireland
    Belgium
    Russia
    Estonia
    Belarus

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think Bonnie Tyler might Need A Hero to get her anywhere for the UK this year :p

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    They should have dared to make it more ediger, now it sounds like a water down version of herself.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure what we hope to achieve by wheeling out has-been stars like Tyler & Humperdink. So what if some people who are middle-aged or above remember who they are, doesn't mean they get votes.

We should try what we did a few years ago when Andrew Lloyd-Webber wrote a song and selected someone to perform it, we were 5th then. Since 2002 when we were 3rd we seem to have lost much of what has made us so successful in the competition over the years (5 wins, 15 times runner-up etc.). People like ALW know how it works so that is a formula we should run with more often.

Otherwise we're getting towards 20 years with no win.

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes the ALW song was definitely the best the UK had had in a long time.

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    As dreadful as Austria's "shining" entry was, it was certainly no worse than Lithuania, Ireland or Belarus. Even Denmark, who are apparently among the favorites, were pretty poor.

And I'm still devastated that Montenegro are out.

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes, Saturday will be a lot more boring without rapping astronauts vs. the Borg queen

[​IMG]

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The Austrian TV commentator referred to them as the Felix Baumgartner Memorial Band ("Gedächtnisband").

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    So that was the Austrian commentator, I saw the comment on twitter and thought it was from German TV. In fact the German-language tweets were among the funniest on twitter yesterday evening.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    And he's actually the rather straight-laced commentator. Last year they let two comedians (who refer to the ESC as the "Paralympics of Pop") do a secodnary audio track for the finale, it was brilliant.Sadly, I don't think they're doing it again this year.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ya know, I've heard of this and have always wanted to go. Mainly because I dream of traveling Europe at some point.

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Going to be very difficult predicting voting in the Finle without the Balkan block. Serbs and Croats can't stand each other, kill each other on the battlefield and in soccer stadiums, but always seem to give each other 12 points. WTF?

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The last years the winner has had to get votes from all blocks, not just the Balkan, it's the 5-10th places that seem to be filled with neighbour votes. Of course I shouldn't throw glass in a stone house, since the Scandinavian countries vote for each other all the time, I definitely think the Swedish 12 points will go to Denmark this year.

24. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Should be a night full of cheese this Saturday! Although shoot me, but I loved last years UK entry 'Love Will Set You Free' by Englebert Humperdinck. God knows why it only came second to bottom? I thought it had far more punch than previous entries!

Still, 'Believe In Me' does grow on you, but I am sure we will do naff again despite having some false hope - come on Bonnie, give it some!

[face_dancing]

25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    So time for semi-final 2, and so far the quality seems to have gone up a bit.