main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Evanescence at the TD Waterhouse Centre

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    This was brought up very briefly at the meeting, so I am just going to post a topic here so people know. Evanescence will be performing locally in Orlando on July 27th, starting at 7:00pm. Their opening act is Seether, who, honestly, I think I've heard once and am not too fond of.

Anyway, I'll be there along with Stefanie; I got our tickets weeks ago, but you can get them online, and they even e-mail them to you in PDF format(!), at Ticketmaster, located here:

www.ticketmaster.com/section

I doubt this will be any type of Fan Force Outing or anything of the sort, but, again, for those that do care, you may wish to buy your tickets now.

Brandon

P.S. Because it does not deserve its own topic, but for the few that care (and there are some of you!), the so-called "Southern Classic Gun and Knife Show" is returning to Orlando in July. You will get the great honor of seeing many hicks, rednecks, and crazy people, but, at the same time, it is kind of like a trip to Disney in that with all the odd stuff, it is, believe it or not, a ton of fun. The real reason to go, of course, is the fact they offer concealed weapons and firearms courses twice daily. It will be on July 10th and 11th, a Saturday and Sunday, at the Central Florida Fairgrounds. It's only $7 to get in and, again, if you are over 21 and have a clean background, the permit course is two hours in length and that costs $30. That will not give you a permit, of course, but it's the course the state requires and from there you can fill out a ton of paperwork, send the state $117, go shooting quite often, and then, within two months, you'll have a nice shiny permit mailed to you. =)

P.P.S. Anthony, you should go and see what real firearms look like when compared to your snazzy AirSoft pistols...

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I saw them at an MTV taping last summer. Good show. Still, Ben Moody was still in the group at that point. I wonder what the show will be like without him?

L8r

3. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I like them on the Daredevil soundtrack, and I like the fact that their name sounds like my last name, but I can't afford to see a show of them. If Stefanie cancels because she decides to hate Evanescence, you, or towns that she doesn't attend university at, let me know. I'm a fine date, and I'm old enough to drink.

4. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Offer to put out. That oughta seal the deal for ya, C. ;)

L8r

5. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    And I got the most expensive tickets, too. So, Campbell, if you do make some "private" offer, I'll throw Stefanie to the curb in a heart beat...

It is, after all, Evanescence, one of the, if not THE, hottest group today (at least right now). Their hit album, Fallen, has been in the Top 10 since release. How can you pass up a rock'n good time like this?

Brandon

note: just to make damn sure no one takes that overly seriously (I know how some people are on here) the above post was said with a joking tone-of-voice.

6. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    So you're being sarcastic when you say Evanescence is the hottest group out there and you think they're really a joke? Then why did you buy such expensive tickets for them? Oh, I get it, so Campbell would offer to give you a good "time"? I see. ;)
    Melanie

7. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, exactly. I thought it was perfectly clear.

Brandon

8. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    As U, B, I hate the LOL "slang," but I'll admit the post had me laughing loudly. Enjoy the show.

9. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Dude, you SO have to go. Come on, you can join us in the pit (if those are still around.) We'll mosh and throsh and bosh and crosh all over the place. It'll be killer! I'm sure they will also have a ton of Evanescence stuff on sale for your purchasing pleasure, too! I can't wait to walk out with my new $30.00 t-shirt and an album I already own. Probably a poster, too! I need a poster! Evanescence year 'round!

One thing is upsetting about a vast majority of concerts today: no cameras allowed. For the price of tickets, you would think they would not care. Hell, they're going to sell the concert on VHS/DVD eventually as it is. If I'm in the front row, who cares if I am taking snap shots?

When we went to see the London Symphony Orchestra last year, I understand the reasoning there. But at "rock" concert?

Oh well.

At least this topic is above Spider-Man 2, for now.

Brandon

10. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    It's back. Would you believe I have what may be my dumbest question that I have ever posted here? It's coming.

First, I'd like to say that Evanescence was on the cover of the Calendar Section from the paper on Friday. Oddly, the article/interview was interesting and worth reading, much was said.

So, everyone, come on out. It's Tuesday evening, no excuses!

However, here is Brandon's Stupidest Question of All Time But He is Going to Ask It Anyway.

....what does one WEAR to a concert? You see, I have attended the London Symphony Orchestra, and if I may add, I, along with Stefanie, looked rather suave. Perhaps not male-model hot, but hot nonetheless (you know, tie, slacks, etc.)

HOWEVER, this is different. I just got done downloading as much footage as I could from their previous concerts. I then got other concert footage from other performers/groups. Do people REALLY stand and, uh, put their arms in the air and kinda "move with the music" and bob their heads up and down? It seems like the crowd is doing this all the time, people are close to each other, even bumping into each other, and, you know, "losing themselves in the music." :confused: Do I have to do this? And, if not, will I then look even more foolish for NOT doing it? I fear, and please say so if it is true, I'm in a no win situation here. I don't do well with showing any form of real emotion or "movement" in public, especially around a person or people that I know. Then again, if I don't, I'll get killed. Just you wait, watch the 11:00pm news, "This just in, a riot at the TD Waterhouse in Orlando where Evanescence is performing this evening. The cause is unknown but we have one confirmed death, a Brandon <insert my last name here, if you know it, great, if you don't, then you don't need to find out now>. Early reports state he was not rocking with the beat and upset fellow concert goers." If I die, I have a friend in New York that knows what to do with my posessions.

Now, my next thing: after much studying, it appears that one may wear whatever one wants to these things. True? Shorts seem a little tacky, but then again, it is indoors with however may people show up, will jeans be too hot?

So confusing. [face_worried]

My posts rule.

Brandon

11. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    With my current Kevin Smith physique, I wear Kevin Smith attire to events such as this. Which is to say, shorts. If it were colder I'd wear a button down long sleeve shirt, but given the month, you'd find me in my standard t-shirt.

People aren't going to notice the way you dress. Certainly not enough so that it should affect your decision. The way you move is the same. If everyone is standing and you decide to sit through part of the concert, no one will care. Maybe the person with whom you attend, but basically all eyes will be on the stage, and all ears will be ringing from the mediocre sound quality, which is to say, indiscriminate Loudness.

You are required to sway with a lighter during ballads. It's a tough rule, but tradition and concert-goer union standards dictate in this matter. People will notice, and mocking captioned photos of you will most likely appear in future Evanescence promotional materials. -Campbell

12. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I dress casual and, like you, Brandon, don't really go for public displays of . . . stuff. I've attended a few concerts where everyone was jumping around. This was standing room only type of stuff though, so if you have a seat I think you'll be okay. Anyhoo, I just found a spot towards the back away from the serious craziness and soaked up the show for all it was worth. If you're sitting and everyone stands up around you, you may have to stand just to see, but that doesn't require you to "dance" or anything.

L8r

13. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Hmm well, just wear your typical attire. Perhaps you will look strange next to the normal Evanecense fan (perhaps punk looking), but it will not matter. I remember going to the Strokes concert and seeing a dude about 70 years old in his little old-man attire...quite funny but it's cool that he likes them. No one will make fun of you.

As for standing/lighter/etc...Since we are on the floor, it will perhaps be better to stand when everyone else does (most likely throughout the whole thing). The lighter is NOT mandatory, but I find it to be fun once in a while unless there's a chick with some wild 80's hair in front of me...

I myself will wear jeans and a tshirt- typical Stefanie attire.

14. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, I do believe we are attending in a "standing" area. When purchasing the highest priced tickets, I assumed that more expensive = better. I now wonder if there are, in fact, chairs/whatever anywhere, and if those are the cheaper tickets? I'll probably faint before it is over.

As for a lighter... I guess I can find one before the day after tomorrow (notice how I slipped that title in there).

I was thinking of getting some pants with holes in them, a chain attached to my wallet, some 'old' looking shoes, dye my hair green and spike it up, and get a tattoo (or 'tat for all you younger people) on me somewhere. Oh, and a nasty looking shirt that is tight on my muscular body. All of that just screams, "Hey, I'm punk, I'm on the outside, I'm LIVIN' it MAN. I FEEL the music, I AM the music. Amy Lee is singing to me and me alone. When she looks into the crowd, we meet, our eyes focus upon each other." Yes, that outfit would do that to me.

Who can forget the amazing passage in "American Psycho" where Bateman goes to the Bono concert... hahahaha, great stuff.

Brandon

15. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Very funny post. "I'm Livin' it!"

Was actually joking about the lighter, but reception seems a bit dodgy in this building. -Campbell

16. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I experienced something today that I probably should have around the age 13-17: a few people were actually jealous that I was going to the concert.

I was at work (yes, a Day in the Life of Brandon post), and I was speaking to Kathleen, my supervisor/friend who *I* trained years ago (odd, I know). So, her son comes in, he's 22. We're sitting at a table talking, looking at papers, laughing, normal stuff. They talk about this and that, and somehow, someway (not because of me), he says something like, "Yeah, I won't be doing much tomorrow. I guess I can't go to that concert." I perk up and look at him and say, "The Evanescence concert?" He says, "Damn, yeah, that one. You going?" I tell him that yes, I am, going, had been planning on it for months. He proceeds to state how jealous he is and all that fun stuff. I felt like someone entering high school and going to that "killer concert" that, somehow, you magically could afford or get into while others could not.

Fast forward a few hours and I'm talking to this girl. Normal talk, "How're you?" "What's going on?" That type of stuff. She does the entire, "So, what're you doing tomorrow after work?" I inform her, and she freaks out saying how 'lucky' I am, and how she and her friends were dying to go but couldn't get tickets (are they sold out? I don't know, but it's probably a figure of speech).

So, that is fun. I'll be there, or should be there, in roughly 17 hours. Strangely, my back started aching rather horribly today and still hurts. :( However, I'll tough it out.

That, then, is my awesome story.

Brandon

17. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm deaf.

Brandon

18. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    It's spelled, DEF, yo. And yes, we know you're special because you went and we didn't. :D

hope you had a good experience. -Campbell

19. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    So how was the show, yo?

L8r

20. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Here is my amazing and fun-filled review for my first "real" concert going experience. On July 27th, Tuesday, Stefanie and I went to see Evanescence at the TD Waterhouse Centre in Orlando. Before this, I had only been to see the London Symphony Orchestra in Daytona Beach. Now, the LSO was not the typical concert that most people are used to. For example, I wore a nice shirt, tie, slacks, and other stuff to make me look suave. You sat during it, and if you even sniffled, you were looked at. God forbid a cellular phone goes off.

Now, by the time someone is 27 years old, he or she probably should have attended at least one concert. Sadly, that all passed me by. First, I never liked the idea of them, and, probably more importantly, not one single singer or group appealed to me enough to take the time to go and see. This changed, though, when I found out Evanescence was coming to town. For those that do not know, they are probably one of the biggest groups in the world right now. Proof of that, barring their album sales, is that if *I* know about them and like them, then they must be big. Their deput album, Fallen, has gone 5x Platinum (which, so they say, mean 15+ million have been sold so far, and counting), and their concerts are selling out all over the place. They are huge and have, without a shadow of a doubt, crossed all cultural, sexual, geographical, racial, and any other line that one could draw. I will go into that more fully when I get to the part where I talk about the people I saw there.

Why are they so popular? First, the music is good. It's that simple. Those that know me know full well that I am not a HUGE music person. Usually, on average at least, when I enjoy a song, it really is a good song. I am overly picky when it comes to what I will listen to. With Evanescence, though, I, in all honesty, like their entire album, every last track. Sure, some are stronger than others (track #4, My Immortal, being one of my Top 10 Songs of all time), but still, the entire CD is great. They were around before the Ben Affleck vehicle known as Daredevil (actually a fairly good movie), but it was their single, Bring Me to Life, on the soundtrack for that film that really propelled them into super stardom. From what I read, the soundtrack made more money than the film itself. That, of course, just made their actual album sell even better.

I liked the song. I can recognize a good singing voice when I hear one, and even those that dislike the group admit that Amy Lee, the lead singer, is a huge talent. That, too, is why I believe the group has done so well. The music is primary, yes, but the fact that the lead is female just makes it more appealing. She is not attractive, not at all ugly, rather cute, really, but just "real" looking. Guys like that, and girls respect it. Plus, the music is not rock, it is not punk, it is not alternative, it is not goth-like, it is not something that can really be put into a box. Just compare tracks #1 and #4; they are two completely different entities.

So, the CDs start selling like there is no tomorrow, they are everywhere, a video is released (which can be found on the second disc of the Daredevil DVD or online), and they have not slowed down since.

I eventually got my hands on the CD and listened to the entire thing. I loved it. Well worth buying. Great music, great lyrics, great voice, great package for only about $12 - $15.

Time passes. I find out almost two months ago that they are going on tour and will be in Orlando. I must go. Not once, not ever, had I even remotely felt like attending a concert such as this. "This" being a real concert. I had to go, though. Still, I could not go alone. Who would attend with me? Choices were obviously slim. Let's look at the people I know and the options I was presented with:

Micah - Lives in Seattle. Even if he were here, he
    would probably not attend. He's out.

Mason - Lives in New York City. I do believe he
    would have gone had he been here, even if

21. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok, well, I guess Brandon beat me to it...either way, here goes a more concise version of what Brandon wrote...

The concert was great...yes it was amazing. Now, I hate going to concerts and not knowing half the crap they play. It is the worst feeling on earth when I have to stand in a sea of fans and I can't sing along because I don't know the lyrics to a song. Of course, I couldn't "research" like I usually do because I am without a sound card at this moment so wah, wah...

I *HAVE* heard Evanescence though, thank God, so it wasn't THAT bad. An added plus- you could SOOO tell the changes in the music so at least I could sway...

Now, the people there...it was soo hilarious I laughed my butt off. Everywhere you looked there was a person to be made fun of or to stare at. Brandon named a few. I must add, though, that we DO NOT make fun of people in their faces, so you guys cannot judge us...making fun of people you don't know behind their backs is *NOT* bad...

Although, of all the interesting people mentioned, Brandon left ONE very IMPORTANT person out: There was the HOTTEST (yes, even I will say this, even if I am a girl) chick there...maybe around 25 with her boyfriend. AND she was wearing a black CORSET as a shirt. It was absolutely awesome and I told Brandon I was going to ask her where she bought it. He said no, and as I rolled my eyes this other chick went up to her and asked her, then they started talking about boob jobs. By that time, Brandon and I started arguing on the pros/cons of surgery and then dropped the convo all together.

Brandon also failed to mention the 4 year old girl. She was one of those little girls that is brought EVERYWHERE by her parents; God-forbid they hire a babysitter. Up on her dad's shoulders (HOWWWW ANNNOYYING!!!!), she was totally rocking out. Despite the fact that I totally wanted to kill her folks for bringing her, she was super-duper cool for a little kid.

Mentioning rocking out: Brandon started making fun of people for swaying to the music. When I started to do it a bit, he snickered then said to go ahead and not let him stop me. Little did he know my charm would work on HIM!! MUHAHAHA! By the end of the night, Brandon was rocking out and making the famous horns of rock, although completely out of sync!!!!

I must say the lighting was EXCEPTIONAL! It was absolutely well "choreographed," I guess you can say. I have noticed an increase in quality, in general, from the lighting/tech guys.

I suppose that is it...Brandon's review covers pretty much everything else...

22. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Sounds like you guys had fun. :) I saw them in concert last summer at the Hard Rock Live during an MTV taping. That's back when Ben Moody was still with the band. It was all standing room only, but I swayed and jumped with the best of them. ;)

BTW, have you guys heard their earlier stuff? I've got a CD full of pre-Fallen tracks if you're interested.

L8r

23. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    We had a blast. We'll go again if/when they come back. The music you speak of, is that from their "Origin" album? If so, I may be interesting in hearing it, but I rather actually *buy* the dang thing. It's going for as much as $40 on eBay, so I may buy it, may not. I don't know yet. To be honest, I did not even know it existed (if it's even real) until a few days ago.

...?

Brandon

24. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    They had like four albums before Fallen. Plus a demo cd. I've got it all. I don't know if $40 for a CD is really worth it, but then again I'm perpetually broke. :p

L8r

25. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I just won an eBay auction for their so-called first CD, Origin. I saw it, like I said, for between $33 - $50, so I used the Buy Me Now option and got it for, that's right, $40. I have paid around this much for some CDs in the past, most recently the Japanese imported Lost in Translation soundtrack.

I think I saw another pre-Origin CD on there, but it was only one and hard to tell what it was (bad auction in terms of description). Still, if they have that many CDs before their big deput, Fallen, I wonder why this information is not everywhere? What are the album titles? I now must track them all down.

Then again, I wonder if much of the music is the same. On the one I just won, Origin, about 1/3 or so of the tracks are the same as on Fallen. Now, will they sound different? I have no idea. If I dislike it, I can always eBay it for a profit. :)

Brandon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.