Evanescence, Linkin Park and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by THE PortmanLuvva, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master

star 2
    There are a lot of videos on star wars on youtube, compilations of the best clips etc... A lot of them are put to the music of these bands.

There are powerful messages in the song and it adds to the drama of the films. It works.
  2. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
  3. thesevegetables Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    ANGST ANGST ANGST ANGST ANGST ANGST
    What? They did Transformers. They could totally work for some antihero.
  4. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Guys, you don't have to hate that these videos exist. If somebody enjoys watching Star Wars footage set to pop songs, is that really so wrong? If George Lucas starts licensing songs to insert into new releases of the films, then I'll be worried.
    DarthBoba and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    ^ Agreed with the above. It's only a problem if Disney adds the newest teen pop prodigies to the score.

.....which is not such a completely and utterly bizarre prospect anymore, come to think of it. [face_thinking][face_worried]
  6. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Not a huge fan of the music vids all over the ol' youtube but I do love this one.

7. Felicia Jedi Knight

star 2
    This video is one of my favorites.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  8. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    EXCUSE ME?!?!? Did you just call Evanescence and Linkin Park POP?!?!?!?!:mad:
    Last edited by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 11, 2012
    THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
  10. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    They are played on pop stations. So yeah, pop.
    How do you make the prequels worse?
    Simple, add linkin park.
  11. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    No personal attacks Darth Boba
    Last edited by DarthBoba, Dec 12, 2012
  12. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Please don't throw insults at me because I have a differing opinion. It only makes you look stupid.
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Okay I did not want to post in this ridiculous thread, but I have to say... those "genres" for both bands are ridiculous. Really, nine sub-genres for a band? That seems to be pushing it. Just pick one or two that fit and move on. And by the way, "pop" means "popular" and because both bands are popular, one could make the argument that they are both pop.
    Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  14. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    You really shouldn't have then!

That's a complete list of what they have been referred to by music magazines & critics. Just so one can say "oh but such-&-such call them this". Also, innovative bands often are grouped in several genres. And both LP & Ev have changed/modified their style over the years, so the genre definitions have changed. If you want the general, LP is generally defined as NuMetal/Rap Rock and Ev is generally defined as Gothic Rock/Gothic Metal

On could, if they had no idea about music. Music now defined as pop has a much more specific definition. By your standard, virtually any band that has had a song in the Billboard's Top Ten would be pop, even if its death metal. *shakes head*
  15. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    You have some erection over crappy music. Grow thicker skin.
  16. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I know what general descriptions fit those two bands. And I simply said one "could make the argument". I did not say that was my standard. I simply was trying to offer a different perspective to the one you are jamming in everyone's faces here, because MUSIC... is beautiful because it's entirely personal. Everyone can love what they love and it doesn't matter. And genre is relative to a lot of people. It depends entirely on where someone is coming from. If you ask me, there are poppy and radio-friendly, hook driven versions of most genres out there. Both Linkin Park and Evanescence could be described as such within their genres. And Eeth is right. Grow thicker skin.
  17. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7

It doesn't affect or bother me if you want to have terrible taste in music, but it does slightly bother me that you're referring to Evanescence as gothic rock. Please introduce yourself to real gothic rock bands - Christian Death, Bauhaus, The Cure, Joy Division, etc. etc. Also please introduce yourself to real gothic metal bands, such as Type O Negative, Deathstars, Freakangel. A band can dress up in costume and sing about depressing crap, but that doesn't make them the genre. You can go to Wikipedia and big publications and other crap and see Evanescence labelled as "gothic rock" but I can guarantee you that only non-goths (music wise, not that hot topic crap) would label them as that. People who don't know the genre. So get off my lawn!!
  18. THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master

star 2
    This is the worst Linkin Park song to play with Star Wars anyway. I was thinking more "In the End". I can imagine Anakin saying the words.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    So honestly, this thread is off topic in this forum. This forum is about film scores, especially Star Wars film scores. Can we maybe move this thread to SW Community?
  20. THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master

star 2
    I would if i knew how! Or is this a job for the Du Du Duuuuuuu MODERATORS:cool:
  21. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    No. Let's move this to the YJCC. That's where it belongs. That's where it will be dealt with properly. Toss it to the wolves.
  22. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
  23. THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master

star 2
    "Toss it to the wolves" o_OWhat?

Haha...Wind your neck in. There is nothing wrong with this thread. Its to do with Music and Star Wars so i put it in the music forum.

It's not like you have to sit there reading it.[face_bleh]

Huh...now all im waiting for is for the next comment to be "DarthBoba has moved this thread" Go on...make my day.
  24. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I know exactly what this forum is for. I moderated it for years.
    halibut likes this.
  25. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    I listen to most of the bands you just named. Though my taste in Gothic rock/metal leads me to more to female fronted versions (ie Lacuna Coil), I'm just defending two bands ("crap" in some peoples opinion, who almost certainly have music tastes that I find crap) who are at LEAST rock, and should never be dumped with the horrible label of pop.
    THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.