main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC EveCon info...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Cinnea, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Greetings from Eugenia, Your Event Coordinator. (did you hear the Love Boat music? I did.)

There's a local convention coming up this weekend called EveCon. I have never been, so I can't vouch for the fun or anything, but it might be a good way to meet new friends. From what I understand, it's small, local, lots of gaming and general weirdness. No big media focus or famous people, just some good old fashioned hanging out among fan types. Ken and I are going, so if anyone feels up for an adventure, look for us there.

EveCon runs from Friday Dec. 27 thru Sunday Dec. 29, at the Sheraton Hotel in Reston.

Here's the website info:
    www.fantek.org/fantek2/econ/

2. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Judging by the schedule from past cons, it looks like it might be interesting... TK and I are thinking about it. Are you guys gonna dress up?

3. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Yes! Come!! It'll be fun!! Or we can make our own! I think the schedule looks fun too - lots of general amusement.

I'm sure we'll dress up on Saturday, at least for the masquerade. I've got a friend coming down from New York, and she's got an excellent Jedi costume.

We're still debating a hotel room for Saturday night. It's hard to justify spending money on one when we live so close, but it could still happen just because it might be nice to have a place to stash stuff, change, chill out, etc. And sleep if we just can't handle the long drive home. If you're interested, let me know. (Of course, they could be sold out)

4. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    I gotta work Why oh why does this always happen to me *looking distressed and sad*
    take notes and let me know how fun it was!

5. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Will do! Put in for not working during Farpoint (the weekend of Feb. 14-16)- it's fun too!

6. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    are there going to be any guests? What is there to do there?

7. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I've never been to EveCon before, but from what I gather, it's a small con, with no guests. There seems to be a pretty big gaming contingent - any and all types of gaming as far as I know. The other activities seem to be generally just discussion panels of general interest - costuming, hobbies, books, prop making, gaming, filking, anime, computers, etc. I suspect there's a masquerade on Saturday (there was in the past). It looks to be kind of a fun place to hang out for a few days and meet others with the same sort of interests, generally letting one's weirdness run amok.

I'm just hoping for at least one stormtrooper, because it isn't a real con for me until a stormtrooper shows up.

8. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Uh-oh, gaming.... Kam can recruit TCG players.

9. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Very likely! I defintiely think that if someone brings 2 decks, you can always find someone who wants to learn, or already knows and wants to play.

10. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    yeah but I olny got a 50 from my M-I-L for christmas and it's 30 to get in

11. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    This is why we were bemoaning the lack of day passes. Still, once you're in, there's nothing to pay for but stuff in the dealer's room. It can be done on no money, but of course, that's when the toy (or card or costume or whatever) you've been looking for for an eternity is in the dealer's room!

Convention going can be an expensive habit, I admit. Sometimes you really have to pick and choose.

12. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    right and the thing I've been looking for will be just 5 dollars more than I have of coarse

13. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    well, I'll go. I've never been to a convention.

14. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Yay, SB! These things are generally as fun as we make them. Go with an open mind, and it'll be fun. And it's an excuse to wear a costume.

Kam, if you need that $5, I'll lend it to you - I have been in that boat myself more than once! After all, I know where you live, and can get my $5 back if I need to. :)

15. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    What does it cost for kids, I would have to bring tay which means that $60 to get us in

16. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'll check - they might have reduced rates for kiddies. If there's nothing on the website, I'll e-mail someone and find out. Hopefully, they aren't on vacation like the rest of the world!

17. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    WOO HOO! EXCUSE TO DRESS UP~!!!

Bwahahah~ I love dressing up. XD

Ahem... *runs away*

18. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    I might not be able to go afterall...

19. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Well, pooh. I hope you can come. Though, perhaps I'll make up wild stories if there are no other witnesses.....

20. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    An update:

I sent an email to the main contact for EveCon regarding the cost of tix for Tay, but I don't have an answer yet. I will be heading to the hotel sometime late afternoon/early evening, depending on when my friend from NY arrives in DC. I will check my e-mail for an answer in the morning and during the day from time to time until I head out to Reston (say it like Kodo and Kang say "clinton" on the Simpsons. It's better that way), and as soon as I get info, I'll pass it on.

Regardless of any info I get, I'll try to check in tomorrow before we head out, and when we get back at night. If anyone can make it on Saturday, and we don't touch base before, look for me and Ken. We'll be with a 3rd woman about my age with really long red hair. (she's the webmistress of the Long Island Fan Force) Just ask people if they've seen a guy with a Cthulhu in a baby carrier. You'll find us.

21. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Ok, I've got more info. According to an e-mail from Cheryl at Fantek (the organizer of EveCon), kids under 5 who stay with parents (ie, don't go off on their own activities) get in free. She said to bring the e-mail from her (which I forwarded to you, Kam) and that will make it so. Meanwhile, I'll be sure to meet up with her and maybe we can get some more group activities going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.