main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Even Angels Have to Earn Their Wings - Padmé Career Challenge AU

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Title: Even Angels Have to Earn Their Wings
    Author: Jade_Max
    Timeframe: AotC AU
    Characters: Padmé Naberrie
    Summary: The "Padmé choses another profession" challenge
    Notes: This challenge was just too good to pass up!

Even Angels Have to Earn Their Wings

"Doctor Naberrie, we need you stat!"

Her book hit the table and she was on her feet in the next moment, walking quickly towards the source of the commotion and the harried call. She was already pulling the spare pair of rubber gloves over her fingers as she stepped into the corridor.

"Doctor, thank goodness." One of her regular nurses rushed over. "Follow me, we have a case that runs in your specialty and time is of the essence."

Doctor Padmé Naberrie didn't waste time with questions. She simply followed and listened to the information presented her. Her profession had started her where this nurse was now. She'd learned quickly that if you asked stupid questions, sometimes people paid for it with their lives. It was one reason she'd chosen her specialty; lightsaber wounds.

She was one of only a handful of doctors and surgeons capable of handling the wounds, for they were too difficult for droids to handle effectively. It had made her talents much sought after once the war began.

The Nurse was speaking quickly and succinctly. "He just came in from the front and we managed to retrieve both parts of his arm. He's stabilized but in a great deal of shock. We couldn't get him to regain consciousness."

She tucked her hair back under the surgical cap as they walked and Padmé made mental notes as she listened. Arm injuries were fairly common when lightsabers were involved; they were the easiest targets. They were also some of the trickiest to repair as the nerves were often severed beyond recognition. If they were handled carefully, an arm could be reattached; within the first three hours.

They arrived in surgery where Padmé slipped covers over her shoes, pulled on her apron and mask, before quickly scrubbing her arms in disinfectant up to her elbows. She was gloved by the nurse before stepping into the surgery room.

Several other aids and droids were in the room hooking up more fluids and pain killers as they worked. The severed arm lay on a bed of gel nearby, the severed portion already being worked on by her counterpart; a Rodian that was particularly adept at saving limbs.

Padmé looked to the other nurses who were strapping down the patient's limps to various parts of his bed. An IV was hooked to the other arm along with a fluid drip to balance out the patient's levels. She could see several other chemicals being forcefully fed into the patient's system; chemicals that would be circulated with artificial help to identify and isolate the various nerve endings she would need to reattach.

She didn't hesitate. She stepped right up to the severed portion of the arm that was still attached and got to work.

A sponge dabbed at the sweat dotting her brow as she made the final micro stitches and carefully connected the last of the severed nerves in her patient's arm. Carefully, with slow movements, she pulled the pieces of the arm back together and, with micro scissors, cut the last of the filaments used to suture the nerves together.

The wound was then closed completely with a bacta wrap and Padmé stepped away. Finally, her work completed, her shoulders aching with exhaustion, she allowed herself to look at the face of her patient.

He was handsome, with his brownish-blonde hair falling into his eyes and his skin pale. His dark lashes were unfairly long, teasing the tops of his cheeks where they rested, as he hadn't yet awakened. And he was young. No more than twenty. The length at the nape of his neck indicated a Jedi Padawan, where his clothing, had he been wearing any, would probably have indicated the same.

It saddened her that one so young would be forced to fight in such bloody battles. She couldn'

2. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Awww, now that was romantic[face_love], I loved this and Padmé as the doctor that helped Anakin after the fight against Dooku, wonderful idea.

Great job Jade_Max=D=.

3. _Genivive_

_Genivive_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    I love the idea! Will there be a next post or is this a vig.?

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Lovely! =D= And I'm jealous because I haven't started mine yet. :p

"Now I know you're an Angel." His hand slowly closed around hers. "Thanks, Padmé."

Padmé gently extracted hers and lifted his so that it was resting across his chest. "Cordé will help you dress. I believe Obi-Wan is in the next room waiting to take you back to yours. Good bye, Anakin."

His eyes sparkled. "I'll see you again, Padmé."

And so she wasn't surprised when, a week after she'd seen him for the last time, an invitation to dinner arrived - though she was surprised she accepted

Anakin is always ready to flirt, even wounded! [face_laugh]

5. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    "It's still as true as the first day I said it. And I was right, you must be an Angel." His gaze dropped to his reattached arm. "If you aren't, you've certainly earned your wings."

What a dreamboat. [face_love] I don't blame Corde in the least for giving his hair that extra ruffling. :D

Mm... just noticed something - Anakin had lost 2 arms from his encounter with Dooku this time. [face_thinking] Isn't it amazing what one little thing can change?

6. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Star_Angel ? Thanks Star_Angel. I don?t usually venture into ?Saga? ?cause I?m a Beyond writer, but I figured I?d wanted to stretch my creative muscles. And this challenge was just -too- good to pass up! I?m thrilled you enjoyed it. I knew exactly what I was going to write the moment I got my challenge. Medicine would be a great choice of career for her!

_Genivive_ ? I?ve considered doing something longer with this, Genivive, but I think for now it?s just a vig. The plot bunny was satisfied and mellowed once I ended it. If I ever write more, I?ll probably turn this into a novel *grins* Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64 ? Thanks VaderLVR64 ? can?t wait to read your entry. This week?s been a hard one and writing is my therapy. So... yeah... this one just kinds jumped at me ;) lol! Yes, Anakin is always ready to flirt with a beautiful lady, especially one he?s been thinking about for years.

leia_naberrie ? *grin* Thanks, leia_naberrie, I?m glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for pointing our my grievous error in Padmé?s last name. I went through and fixed it :)

Mm... just noticed something - Anakin had lost 2 arms from his encounter with Dooku this time. Isn't it amazing what one little thing can change?

Well, he didn?t lose both arms, one was damaged, the other completely severed... the other doctor was just prepping the arm Padmé had to reattach ;) In this, Anakin never ends up with a mechanical hand. Though, I think my favorite shot of him is in ROTS with his hands on his head and you can see the metal. *drools*

7. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    I like what you did with this. I have to go check out this challenge. I can easily see Padmé as a doctor/surgeon. And Anakin, ever the flirt with her no matter what the situation.

It would have been nice if something like this could have happened with his arm but I like him with the metal one.

8. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Ha! Love Padmé's speciality! :D Really nicely written, you have an excellent way with words. The tension in the hospital was well done and the details were perfect. Not too much gore :p

I really loved Padmé's personality in this... sort of a take-no-prisoners act when it comes to healing people. And I loved the "Still couldn't come up with any better pick up lines?" line! freakin hilarious! [face_laugh] That definitely made me laugh out loud in the middle of my very empty apartment!

~Obischick~ [face_peace]

9. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Lovely, Jade_Max!! I have really enjoyed all the "Padme Career Challenge" responses and this was no exception. I especially loved the way her path crossed with Anakin no matter what her profession. They were just meant-to-be... Awwww, so beautiful and romantic! [face_love]

If you ever have an urge to continue this (maybe with Padme as a battlefield doctor??? :D), please let me know! I'd be there with bells on!!!

=D=

10. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Daenarrah ? Thank you, Daenarrah! And I agree with you completely, by the way ? that metal arm on him is drool worthy.

Obischick ? Thank you, Obischick. I was really trying to keep the levels balanced with this when I started it. I knew what I wanted to do, but I didn?t want to really focus on the injuries, so I withheld a lot of the details I could have put in. I was thinking ?MASH? the whole time I wrote it though lol!

VA_Parky ? Why thank you, VA_Parky! I?m thrilled you?ve been enjoying all the challenge entries! You?ve inspired me to do another Vig. I?d already be toying with the idea of a Battlefield Doctor vig, and now, I?m just going to have to write it. ;) Call it? another take on the Angels vig. It should be fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.