main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Even MORE Random Thoughts!!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chris-Stacina_Rajinn, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Ah, dang, I'm spoiled on that episode now. I haven't seen it yet... ;)

I can't wait for football either. I need my Steeler fix!

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I think Pittsburgh increases the normal person's interest in sports to unusually high levels. Perhaps its the lack of sunshine. Perhaps the pierogies. Maybe there is something in Heinz ketchup. Whatever.

Even a person who has almost no interest in sports (like me, for example) has a general working knowledge of sports, simply from being around the high level of sports enthusiasm that exists in this town.

I have a new niece! :)

There are many many tomatoes in my garden. I think on Monday I am going to make salsa. I have tomatoes and jalepons (sp??) from the garden. I'll pick up an onion and be in business.

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I was wondering what XM radio does with the commercial breaks for non music shows like Howard Stern. Do they just air the commercials because there is no way around it? Does it work well indoors?

4. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    What exactly is XM radio? Do you have to buy special equipment? $10 a month seems fairly steep . . .

5. DarthShenobi

DarthShenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2004
    I have no clue wats up with XM radio but I do like random thoughts. And cheese.

And I've been wondering, what if the hokey-pokey ISN'T what it's all about?

6. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    What wxactly is XM radio?
    XM radio is satelite radio. The radio signal is shot up to the satelites in space, then broadcast down to the recievers. Works much on the same principal as tv. Signal is shot up to space, then beamed down to the reciever, where it's put together and played. But, since you pay for it, it works along the lines of an HBO or Cinemax. You can play anything you want, say anything you want, and you don't have commercials(on about 90-95% of the channels.) So there is no edited songs, bits, or speeches.
    As for Howard Stern. There was some talk of, when Clear Channel took him off the air in some of their markets, of him going to satelite radio, where he could do his thing without as much hassle. But, then he got a new deal or something like that. But XM has it's own programming. It dosen't carry the naionally, syndicated shows like Stern or the like. They do all their own shows, own DJs, etc.
    XM radio can work well indoors. But you need the connection kit to connect it your home radio. And the kit come with an antenna for indoors use. I don't know if you have to put the antenna outside or not, as I don't have a home kit. But from what I read on their website, you can get XM radio for your office or business. So ther must be some kind of way to do it.

The Hokey Pokey. Clearly, from where I see it, NOT what it's all about.

7. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    *sigh* whats up with people leaving? If some of you remember, I have said that at my school we have the same teachers all four years of high school....or are supposed to...a few weeks before school ended, my history teacher, Mrs. Kay announced that her husband got a job in Florida, hence her leaving...friday was our last day of school and it was a major sob fest, I havn't cried so hard in along time. Now, today, I get an e-mail from my technology teacher saying that he was leaving to...Mr. Losk wasn't AS good as Mrs. Kay who was the BEST most inspiring teacher I have ever had, but he was an awesome, fun teacher!

teachers suck (no offence chris) well, teachers at my school do at least....

8. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    ;) no offense taken. Although it seems your problem is not so much that your teachers suck, but that your good teachers leaving sucks.

9. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Why is it that I've been taking art classes all my life, am now an art minor in college and can generally paint relatively well and yet I still can't manage to paint my own nails without having them look awful??!

I'd say that it's because I'm nervous and drugged up, but I know that's not it. I just suck at painting my nails!!

Not that I'm not all nervous and drugged up. Yeah, isn't it great that I finally have my stupid lie detector test today and I'm dizzy and full of drugs because I just got my wisdom teeth out on monday. That makes me feel so much less nervous about it! Really, it does...

You know, it's not like I have any real reason to be nervous here, but I am anyway. I'm leaving in about 20 minutes and I'm suddenly all freaked out again. Good for me, eh?

Well, I guess I'll let you people know how it goes.

Sorry if I sound like a crazy person here, I'm just kinda out of it right now.

10. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Well, I sorry that my post elicited the responses it did. I've erased this one for the better of the group.

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Sal before anything I want to say that I'm your friend first and anything else second. After you read this I hope we are still friends.

After reading your last post I get the feeling that you from the beginning are just in this for recognition. If so that is really sad. I have been the Leader of this group for several years until I retired. Hell, along with Chris (greencat) we created this group from the ground up. Out of your last post this angers me alot:

For me, CIII is going to be the ultimate and penultimate (look it up) event for SW fans. Going in as just another fan seems like a let down for me after the 27 years that I've been a fan. The PR thing I even had to request, and once again didn't "earn". I just needed something that would look like I was official in the eyes of GenCon and LFL. after CIII it means nothing and I'll be back to being an ordinary fan.

If you can't go into C3 being as you put it "just another fan" then I don't know what to tell you. You aren't just another fan, you're a member of the Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh. You are not owed anything from the people in this group, it's nice that you do all these things for the group, but you don't have to. When we(greencat and I) first started this group everything either came out of pockets or we did it because it wouldn't get done otherwise. I think Brian does a great job as President, I'm very glad he took the job after I retired. He has good people skills, he is a smart guy and knows when not to pick sides (which is very important for any leader). There are many people to this group and I'd like to think that everyone has put forth effort at helping out in one way or the other. Not everyone has the money or time to pitch in on the level you have lately but they shouldn't be looked down upon for it either. Several things you have done and are doing hurt my feelings but I just push it to the side because honestly I'd rather just hangout with you guys and not have any problems...which is partially my I stepped down and haven't been as active a member I used to be. Like the badges, which I came up with and we used for 2 years. I never thought they needed changed (I guess they weren't good enough for you).

I'm still paying for the "sins" of last year with my bout with Carrie as evidenced by the elections.

I wasn't there for nominations but I can say I'm sure you are still paying for it people don't forget things that quickly.

As for some of the teasing...you kind of ask for it sometimes. This last post is evident of how you are pulling the woe is me card. Everyone goes through tuff times....

12. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I'm in the process of drafting my own response now... It's not short. And it's honest. Therefore it's taking some time.

NOTE TO EVERYONE:This better not turn into one big defensive argument, or so help me I'll have the thread killed immediately. I don't want more ugly feeling tossed back and forth. We've had enough of that to last a lifetime.

We're all friends here.

So I'm in favor of being honest with one another.

Lets just be civil and respectful about it.

Be careful about how you choose to respond to this thread. Think and proofread over everything you're about to say no less than THREE TIMES before you actually post it.

Also, if you feel like you'd prefer to just respond via PM, than I suggest you do just that.

Thank you,
    Yours Truly

13. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Hmm... here's my perspective on matters.

Sal... Everyone feels down every once in a while. It's only natural. Last November through January, I myself was feeling a bit depressed... I was worried about losing my job, about not getting a good job, not being able to afford my apartment, and just generally feeling lonely, even though I had more friends than I'd ever had in my whole life. At any rate, I got through it, somehow managed to meet the Greatest Gal in the Land, also somehow managed to score a Good Gig, and will shortly be moving out of my dingy hole of an apartment into decidedly classier surroundings. Things always get better through time. Wait and see.

In regards to the GenCon rooming thing... I don't know how you can feel like you can take any blame for anything. There's nothing even to take any amount of blame for yet. They probably haven't responded yet because they're a big company and have a lot on their minds. Big companies are also very good at jerking folks around. Trust me, I know. As far as I know, you're the only one who had even considered attempting to get anything organized for that, which should show your industriousness. We'll just wait and see what the folks at LFL and GenCon say, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. If it does, it does. No worries. At least we (read as: you) tried, which is something no one else even had the gumption to do.

In regards to not mattering to our group... Surely, you know that's just the depression talking. Of course you matter. As you say, you're responsible for organizing a large percentage of what we do. For instance, if you hadn't been able to score us cheapy tix to Kennywood, I suspect that we wouldn't have had near so many folks there. The very fact that we were able to congregate there with one another and have a good time shows that it wasn't for nothing. If you hadn't got the wheels going, it probably wouldn't have happened. I'd like to think that enabling the group to have a good time would be it's own reward, since we can't really, like, pay you or anything.

I know I'm at fault for probably not giving people the thanks they deserve, but, quite frankly, that's just always been my nature. I'm not the most open, or warmest-hearted individual in the land, and nor will I ever be. I try to express my gratitude most times, but sometimes honestly forget, or manage to pick a time when the individual isn't paying attention, or some other thing...

It doesn't help that the past few months have been the busiest of my entire life. Between trying to spend time with my wonderful new girlfriend, working at my new job, hanging with friends, getting ready to move apartments, keeping tabs on SWAP business, and going through the daily grind of everyday life, I let some things slide that I probably shouldn't. For that, I apologize to any/all I might have spurned in that way. I'm trying my best, but sometimes fall short. Plus I'm always tired nowadays. Always.

As an addendum to that last thought, I'd like to express my deepest personal thanks to both you (Sal) and Chris (Greencat) for doing your part to keep our club busy and productive. You've both been integral to our club, and I could only imagine things going downhill if you were to both leave. I know I've not done as much as I could, but as I've noted above I can't seem to keep my head from spinning due to all the demands on my time.

As to the future of our little group... I truly hope that for as long as we still have people around in the city, we'll still have a club. I'm fairly certain that it's not just the anticipation of the movies that keeps us together, but rather genuine friendship. I've met some really great people through SWAP that I never, ever would have met otherwise and I'm very thankful for that. Granted, we might not have more SW movies to look forward to, but we'll still have SW games, books, toys, etc, etc, etc... Star Wars has been around for almost thirty years now, and it's not going anywhere. As long as th

14. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Same goes for this post as the one of mine above.

If you folks can find it in your hearts to forgive me of my transgressions, I ask that, but I also ask that you forget them as well.

[edit]The only thing I will address from the commetns above is regarding the badges.

Remember that last year, a contest was to be held for new badge designs. So it's not that the previous ones were not good enough for me. They had already been planned on being replaced. (Not by me) I'm just following up with that.[/edit]

-Sal

15. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Apr 15, 2002
    Please try to cheer up a bit, Sal. You're a very important part of this group, and I can't even begin to imagine it without you. Aside from being one of the most excellent Star Wars fans I've ever had the privilege of knowing, you've also been a really good friend to me. You've helped me through a lot of stuff and you've done a lot for the club. I know how it feels to not feel like you belong. I've felt like that most of my life, even at times when it didn't make any sense, and that's no way to live. I really hope that you can realize how important you are to this group and start to feel a little better about everything.

16. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Apr 15, 2002
    I hate the police!! Arrrgh!!! I am so angry!! They want me to go crazy!!!!! I just know they do!

I took my lie detector test yesterday, and I was very nervous. I had to hang out in this scary little room with a a very monotone detective and answer questions like "Have you ever lied to your employer?"

OF COURSE I'VE LIED TO MY EMPLOYER!!!! IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MAKE ME SOUND GUILTY??

And yet, I was assured that the correct answer was in fact "no" which is in fact a lie which does in fact make sound like I'm guilty!

Did I mention that I was nervous? Not to worry! Nerves have nothing to do with the scoring, it's all based on FEAR! So it is apparently aright to be NERVOUS as long as your not AFRAID. Oops, to bad that that I was pretty scared too. Not to worry though, these things are nearly 100% accurate. NEARLY!!!

*Sighs*

So yes, I've lied to my employer, and yes I taken food from work that wasn't necessarily mine, and what exactly is undetected crime? Do playful/prank thievery and shoplifting at the age of 12 fall into that category? So is it a lie to say that I have had no serious undetected crime??

Does that mean that I fail?? Does that mean that I loose my job and go to jail and write a lengthy autobiography about why it really sucks to be me right now??

It might be a nice thing to know, but I certainly don't have the answers. Because the stupid police don't seem to think that my sanity is a very precious commodity, otherwise they might give me a call and let me in on the results of the test! Yep, that's right, it's been over 24 hours and they have yet to get back to me! And I'm not freaking out or anything while I waiting to get them either....no, not me....I won't lie to you (or maybe I will...) I am a bit nervous, but as long as I'm not afraid...

Oh wait, I forgot, I am afraid...guess that means I'm doomed then, eh?

:_|

17. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Stacie try to relax a little you need a big hug so here ::BIG HUG:: I understand completely I was fired from work for doing things evrybody does there anyways yes it sucked yes it made me angry and I'm kinda feeling worthless right now so I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I know you didn't do anything wrong as does everybody else here hopefully this ordeal will be over for you soon.

18. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I bet I could beat a lie detector. It might be fun to try. Don't worry though, failing a lie detector can not be used against you in court and since you didn't do that thing, there is no evidence against you.

19. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    The fact that they can't be used just shows how inaccurate they are. I hope it works out for you!

20. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Stacie, the fact that the police are in no hurry to contact you is, I think, a good sign. If they thought you really had taken the money, they would have dealt with you several weeks ago.

Being scared at the police interview/lie detector test was a perfectly normal reaction. Its okay. Again, if you had 'failed' the police would have responded to that. This is very much a case of no news is good news, even though I know it is very nerve wracking not to know what is going on with them.

21. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    good luck Stacie, i agree with Chris, had they thought anything, they would be moving faster...on the other hand, i got my own job at Jo-Ann Fabric today!

Good luck, though Stacie...I hope everything goes well

22. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    Congratulations, Allie! If I worked there, I'd spend too much money there!

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Congrad, Allie. Which Jo-Ann fabrics do you work at?

24. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    i work at the one in Cranberry, Chris, today was my first actual day working...i was supposed to work untill 5:00 but I hadn't had any breakfast and it was hot and I almost passed out.....that was a nice first day! so i decided to come home and learn later

25. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    Spent almost $20 at Jo-Ann's today. Simplicity patterns were .99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.