San Fran, CA EVENT: Haunted Halloween Hangar in San Carlos

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    The Hiller aviation museum has invited costume volunteers to come out and lend atmosphere to their annual Halloween events. I got the invite through a fellow Rebel Legion member, and asked if costumes from other groups would be welcome to volunteer.

So yes, it is costume volunteers who would get in for free and I don't mean for this to be about 'have and have not' - but I am looking for ways to include SFFF in events when I can. :) I know we have some SFFF members who are not part of Rebel Legion who have some great costumes (they don't even have to be Star Wars costumes. Could be Battlestar Galactica, Harry Potter, Pirates, something from a comic book, even your traditional Witches and Wizards...) and this could be a great chance for us all to do something together! You could even borrow a costume from a friend...

If you don't have a costume, you are still welcome to come out to the event. Admission for adults is $11.00.

WHAT: Halloween Haunted Hangar
    WHEN: October 30th 5pm-8pm & October 31st 12pm-3pm (if anyone has to arrive late due to work, they are flexible and you are welcome to suit up into costume and join the rest of us when you get there).
    WHERE: San Carlos Hiller Aviation Museum
    601 Skyway Road
    San Carlos, CA 94070
    Directions
    WEB SITE: http://www.hiller.org/halloween.shtml
    COSTUMES REQUESTED: All Star Wars costumes (imperial or rebel.) are welcome. In fact, if you have a non-Star Wars costume you'd like to wear (maybe you are a trekkie or a potter head?) other costumes types are just as welcome so long as they are family friendly and of a professional quality (i.e. not an inexpensive rubies type of packaged costume). Perhaps just post a photo of your costume so we can review it (I know most of you and have seen your costumes, so you could also just tell me which one it is).

Please note: This invitation for costumes is going out to multiple clubs. You will see costumers from many groups, such as Star Trek, Klingons, and Rebel Legion.

PARKING:
    Parking is free. Details will be posted to the Yahoo Group.
    CHANGING ROOM/STORAGE ROOM: Yes, we'd be provided with one.
    PROP WEAPONS: blasters and lightsabers OK.

FOOD *Update* Sorry, no Pizza for Friday. They were considering it for Saturday but I told them that thus far we have no volunteers Saturday. We can either chip in and I can pick up a few pizzas to bring with me, or you are on your own to pick up some take out before the event (there is a burger king nearby).

HANDLER/PHOTOGRAPHER: OK - if you have a friend you want to bring as a photographer they are welcome to come with you.
    Info:
    Join our flying witch for a delightful day of flight and fright as the Hiller Aviation Museum hosts the Halloween Haunted Hangar. Each day the witch arrives by helicopter and drops a pumpkin to get things off to a smashing start, and then the festivities continue inside! Explore the Museum?s Gallery if you dare to hunt for hidden haunts. Build a creepy craft, join the games at our Aerial Carnival, or take off on a moonlight mission in the Flight Sim Zone in a festive celebration of Halloween Flight. Candy, prizes and spooky surprises make our Helicopter Haunt and extra-special occasion. Come in costume and add to the fun!
    -----------------------------

The one thing I didn't have a chance to check on was handlers/photographers. The problem with this, is that we can usually only have one handler/photographer. So, if we get the OK I guess it will just go to the first person to sign up for it. And thus far we'd only need one Friday as we have no volunteer for Saturday right now at Rebel Legion. I'd kind of ask that if you own a costume, please sign up with a costume and allow a fellow Fan Force member who may not have a costume to assume the handler/photographer role. Thanks :)

-------------------------------

Friday October 30th

Scott
    Matt
    Kathy
    Jessica
    Dale

----------------------------

SFFF members who are not already in RL - pl
  2. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    Interesting. Found my proper colonel rank pins for my BSG uniform.
  3. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Cool, if you decide to sign up let me know. I'll need to submit a list of names and give the museum an idea of numbers they can expect.
  4. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    A haunted hanger needs pilots... Rogue Leader standing by for the 30th. ;)
  5. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, in that case, TIE Pilot standing by.
  6. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Prepare to have your unsheilded ion engines handed to you Matty! :p
  7. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Cool! I take it you will be attending as an X-wing Pilot then eh? Just trying to get a list of the types of costumes the museum can expect when we arrive.
  8. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    That would be a safe bet. :p ]-}
  9. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Not if I get you first, since you can't eject without ejection straps!

;)
  10. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can only do this if I can switch my shift at work on Friday. Will have to look at the schedule. Might not know till the last minute. It was cool walking around looking at the planes the last time we went. I can't do Saturday as I have already promised to help out at a halloween event at my volunteer job.
  11. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    To my knowledge (and we all know how my knowledge is concerning this) no Rogue Leader has ever ejected from their fighter during combat... EVER. The only one ever killed in combat was a Duro named Lensi, during the Legacy of the Force series, but that was because Wedge Antilles (a previous Rogue Leader) shot him down. Oh and TIEs don't have ejector systems either. The Empire considers TIE pilots a renewable resource. :p OMG we should have a XvT club duel sometime if we network enough computers! In costume! hahaha... That'd be fun...

(and yes Luke was shot down in ESB but he never ejected! He then took down one of the Blizzard group's AT-ATs with a concussion charge, a lightsaber and a portable power harpoon launcher ;) )
  12. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, there's a first time for everything...

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/180px-TIE_target_FF7.jpg]

;)

And as we say in the Jolly Roger Squadron, "Shields are for cowards".

-TI-2780
    Over 50 kills and counting.

[face_skull]
  13. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm gonna do the science exhibit thing in oakland on friday night :)
  14. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    lol... I'm so getting a screen shot of my stats from X-wing later... 50 huh?[face_laugh] Had a slow day or something? :p

It should be noted that the lack of adding shields to the first series of TIE-class starfighters was a huge military disadvantage to the Empire finally leading to the surrender of the Imperial Remnant, after the Caamasi Document Crisis, with the Bastion Accord. If sheilds are for cowards then it's better to be a "coward" and live, learn, and grow rather than not have shields and be turned into free hydrogen atoms in open vacuum by a verteran Rebel pilot. :p Only pilots who live through their engagments get to be come veteran ace pilots... jaded veteran in my case maybe. lol...

The Empire was going off the success of the Jedi Starfighter Delta 7s during the Clone Wars and it's variants which were also unsheilded but most TIE pilots don't have command of The Force and thus do not have the reflexes and foresight through the Force for that kind of starfighter combat.

Oh and Matty... you may want to change that motto... especially if you're Vader's wingman bro. *whispering* I heard Vader's TIE Advance X1 prototype has shields. :p

You guys just call Darth Vader a coward... [face_laugh]
  15. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    that sucks it's on the same night... We could of had a pilot thing going on in the hanger at Hiller.
  16. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    You'll still have a Pilot thing going on. Dale plans to wear his X-wing costume (if he in fact has that night off?) Liz from RL said she's gonna try to make it too. I don't know yet if I want to be yet another X-wing pilot in the group or attend in a different costume to add variety. I have time to decide.
  17. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    haha... I'd say since it's a hanger the more pilots the merrier and unless Matty calls from another wing of reinforcements he'd be out numbered. [face_laugh] hehehe...
  18. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    So does anyone other than Ming want to volunteer in Costume on Friday or Saturday? They are still really looking for people to help out on their big day - Halloween Saturday. All costume types are welcome (not just 'aviation' types - lol!), and North (who works for the museum) encourges us to get the word out to our friends.

Ming,
    I'll PM you some particulars about how to get in - as that would be a security violation for me to post it on our boards. LOL!

Robert - Are you on for Friday as well? I'll PM you info too.

Rachel
    - are you on for the event?

FOOD

One thing I need to get feedback from you on ASAP - we are not getting free pizza on Friday night (bummer). It was something the museum was considering for Saturday and I was hoping we'd get it Friday but no dice :( We'll need food, so if you all agree to chip in, I could pick up a few pizzas and bring them to our changing room. Otherwise, your on your own to pick something up at Burger King nearby, or bring food with you. Or tough it out on an empty stomach.

Please let me know, so I can get a head count as to how many pizzas to order. I'm estimating it would be 5-6 dollars a person depending on how it all breaks down.
  19. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Standing by... although I think your joking about the security violation as I don't see how it'd jeopardize operational security here.:confused: Unless it jeopardizes the security at the museum??? That's make more sense...[face_thinking] Ah well... :p
  20. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, security of the museum because it's instructions for getting into the facility that is just for the volunteers. Hence, confidential in nature ;) That type of security.

Do you want to chip in on Pizza? I'm trying to get a head count since I'd have to pay for it and pick it up before the I get to the museum.
  21. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Nah, I'll snack prior to lift off... Gotta conserve funds. Thanks though. :)
  22. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just found out this afternoon that my boss was switching my shift so I could come tomorrow. Sorry about the last minute notice thing. I'm going to wear my Jedi. See you guys there!
  23. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Good stuff... will have to commandeer on of those jets next time. ;)

[image=http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs072.snc3/13943_196063093956_512393956_4021533_6368694_n.jpg]

Oh wait... WE DID! XD
    [image=http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs052.snc3/13943_196063108956_512393956_4021536_3421088_n.jpg]
  24. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, that was pretty awesome that the allowed us to sit in the Jet! Glad you could join us Ming :)
  25. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    It was pretty cool... I thought it was funny I was the first to get to the jet when they said we can go in it. Guess I was eager. lol ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.