main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jersey Event idea!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LadySith, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Hey All!

Back in 2002, we did a food drive and collected enough groceries to feed a family of 4 for one month. I would love to do it again!

I would especially love it if we could arrange a BIG event involving all of our groups just working to collect as much money and food as we can.

I have been talking to several local food pantries and it's all the same story. Urban areas are hit hardest in summer because collections are down. People are busy with vacations and such. Poor children especially suffer because school lunch programs are closed down. Often, kids lose their opportunity for their only good meal for the day when school is out of session.

Knowing this, I think if we all put our heads together we can plan something great for either late July or early August.

Thanks for reading! :D

2. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Good Idea!

We discussed this at the MEPA meeting and since we have history with a food pantry here, I think we should do some collecting?

If possible, we could set up a table (in costume) at a local supermarket (Acme in Howell?) and get folks to donate canned food.

Any ideas gang?

~DG~

3. DropKickAnt

DropKickAnt Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2004
    I am sure that ACME would be more then willing to have us back there. They really enjoyed our visit a few weeks ago and we had a lot of people at the table. I agree, if we set up shop, and throw in some armored/costume volunteers I am sure we will fill quite a few baskets up. Christina do you have one food bank in mind that we would work with or just local food banks b/c as Gary said the NJO has worked with the Hillside foodbank and they email us every week. I will check it out

-Anthony

4. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    We worked with the Center For Food Action Last time, they are an organization that distributes to many pantries. If your local pantry is contacting you so much, it's likely because their need is great. Dana (Of DB516) and I were talking about this earlier, trying to figure out the best way to make this event as big a success as it possibly can be. One suggestion was to choose a weekend and do an event on both days Sat and Sunday. One in NJ and one in NY where everyone comes out and supoorts each other. Of course, if Philly is in then we would all want to support their event as well. naturally, We would love the 501st and RL to be involved.

Maybe we can all get together on line one night and brainstorm?

5. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Great idea!!

Chris, I got some Spaghetti-O's I can donate!!

Just let me know details when they get ironed out. I'm definitely on board for this :)

6. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I like the online meeting idea. Name the time/place and I'll be there!

7. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.