main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *Event- November Meet... Toronto SciFi-Con*

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by sw-starwarsfreakness, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Hello Toronto!

Are you in need of a meet? Need prior notice?

Well here you go! On November the 30th there is the Toronto SciFi-Con .

Hosted to you by the same people that brought you SFX, the Toronto SciFi-Con is a break from your regular fall work schedule. Who doesn't need a sci-fi con in the low season? I know I do!

Tickets are $10 each (tax included).

For you ewok fans out there, Mike Edmonds (Logray) will be one of the guests. So this will be a nice RotJ treat.

Possibly after the con (which saddly ends at 5pm) we can have a dinner. Any suggestion?

I'll link you all to the site here

Will put up a revised plan sooner to the date...

Hope to see you all there! ;)

2. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, count me in for the after-con festivities. As for the con itself, what exactly can one do there in return for a $10 admission?

Sabrina

3. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Well there are two guests. Aron Eisenberg and Mike Edmonds. And there should be a huge dealers room again.

It's a day con, so it's not as big as anything like SFX. The whole meeting will revolve more around the dinner.

4. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I work the night before and that night but ill try and swing down early, do you think they would let me in cheaper or free since the 30th of nov is my birthday!!!!????

5. Anakin_Padme4ever

Anakin_Padme4ever Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 29, 2002
    Well, not sure about the con yet. But you can count me in for the after-con festivities as well.

6. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    I will have to see what i am doing...but i would love to come to the con.

7. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    OOOO ARON!!!!!!!!!!!

for anyone who doesn't recognize him by name that is Nog from DS9!! ooo i want to meet him, i'm going to have to see if i can get back to TO for it.

8. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Thanks for the heads up. This was good news in a dreary con-less season. :)

9. Nyla

Nyla Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Thats a Sunday, isn't it? No worries about work for me. Definetly a possibility. :D

10. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Glad all of you are considering making it!

Question: What should we do for the dinner? Should we do like SFX and go to the Spagetti Factory (Not sure if I spelled that right ;) ) or should we hit a new place in town? Possibly like f.i.t. had suggested le Marche? Might be a bit pricey though.

Any suggestions?

11. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Thanks Tessa for bringing this to the group's attention. In the unlikely event, given the time of year, that my class and exam schedule cooperates I think I'll attend this event.

-----

After our experience this year at the Spaghetti Factory I'm not inclined to plan an event with them again, however we can always find out if they will take reservations on Sundays.

Is there anyone who can volunteer to canvas some restaurants in the area? If not I'll do so myself when I'm next in town.

Basically we're looking for somewhere that's not too expensive ($10-$15 dinners available), can seat a group of 20-40 people together, or at least close to each other, and will take a reservation for such a group for a Sunday evening. If you know of such a place, or can take some time to hunt one down in the area please let us know (post here, or contact me) and we

12. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

There's a Casys (oh.. spelling I know) Near by. Right down the street actually. Went there for a gathering with the Toronto Trek Message Board.

I'll try and check out the area tommorow while myself and A_P are checking out bus schedules at the Bus Stop.

13. TheGrandePoobah

Nov 30, 2000
    Thanks for the info so far, keep us posted.

14. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Casieys (oh dear, this spelling!) Is right near by. Just acouple steps away from the convention center.

They treated us (the Toronto Trek Message Board group) quite well, and the serive was great.

I think that should be a go.

15. TheGrandePoobah

Nov 30, 2000
    So you checked Casey's out, talked to someone on staff?

- Can they seat a group of 20-40 people together, or in the same general area?
    - Will they take a reservation on a Sunday evening?

We need details before we can consider a place... not just: "I've been there with another group (which was at the time, what, about eight people?) and the service was good." We need more information than that.

16. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Sorry David, this is the first time I've done this.

Will get the set info by next week.

17. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Great idea for an event, Tess ;) There hasn't been one in a while so it's about time! Also thanks for extra info - the site link. I'll give it a try, but it's a little far away to see what is going on as far as school is concerned.

18. Nyla

Nyla Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    hmmm.... Just realized, I think that's the same day as the Simon and Garfunkel concert so I'm not sure if I can do both yet.

19. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    AWWW simon... i too will have to see the time restraints on the concert and the con...

but if they are at different times chances are i can come to both since i will be in TO then.

20. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    If the Concert is in the eve, then I think you should be able to make it Nyla! (or so the Red Crayon decrees!)

As for the con itself - I'm in! a new autograph to get! (that in itself is getting rare these days - they've got to get more SW actors into the Con circuit)

21. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Will book that weekend of :D

22. Araihc

Araihc Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2003
    *grumbles* Well, I don't know any of you so I doubt I'd be up for the dinner thing just yet, but I'd love to go to the Con. It's just that my entire Sundays involve taking my kid to Karate and then going myself. Crap. :(

23. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Not sure about the con yet but dinner sounds good. Count me in.

Once we find out how many people are coming it should not be hard making reservations at a restaurant. There are quite a few downtown we can chose.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

24. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Glad you can make it out Alex! I wonder if they'd except R2's in the resturant.. :? :D

Alright. How about this. The Con ends at 5pm. We all crowd across the street at the park, till about 5:30pm. Then we trek our way to the Caseys (which I'll get more info on soon. I've been a busy little camper ;) ... I just said camper.. :eek: )

How does that sound you guys?

25. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

*bump*

This event is coming up kids. I'm getting Reservations at the resturant soon. Can I get a head count?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.